News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good kid, not idea how he got stuff over his head

Speaking of the Vector Processing Unit I found a few post from someone going into a lot of detail about it on PlayStation® Community Forums

Is there anyone here who can back up what he is saying or shut it down?
:

http://community.us.playstation.com...IMD-Vector-Processor-Comparison/td-p/39499285

Nope. But I heard specifically during development that a PS3 & PS2 chip was being developed in consideration of reverse compatibility.

The two quotes look like a PS2 (1,024 bitwidth of eDRAM) & a PS3 (1,512 bitwidth of 256bit x 8LocalStores).

The PS4's mystery background chip for network updates show be interesting. WONDER, if a vector processor could translate vector processor code, to something an x86 processor could use? ~ The suggestion of direct to APU L2 cache transfer startled me a little. {Used the bathroom earlier, so I'm still ok. Developers of PS3 games might find themselves...in a different state.}

Imagination Rant:/
I'd write this up as possible for a special edition. $100 extra model. And then shelve is as possible chip designs Sony placed on the back burner, due to increased cost. 100million they might use for the the network background update thing. But a 300million transistor chip... that costs money that would have to appear in the price tag.

With the sudden jump from 4GB of GDDR5 to 8GB GDDR5. Sony likely dumped all hardware backward compatibility and the freed up budget (except possible 1ppu&1spu Network-Processor as the mysterious 9th chip.) , went wild on a 4K Future Spec. (Then being wise business people make no mention they opened the door for 4K processing. Fanboys of other brands would get all snotty about the lack of 4K games, on a 4K console.)

Is there anyone here who can back up what he is saying or shut it down?
Seems contradictory. $25 piece of silicon (which is far from cheap) and then a $0 development cost but $80 production cost? 100 million transistors...no 300 million. (?) And where does it fit in with ease of development, with developers already using x86 and GPGPU?

I rate it 0.001% likely.

Nope. But I heard specifically during development that a PS3 & PS2 chip was being developed in consideration of reverse compatibility.

The two quotes look like a PS2 (1,024 bitwidth of eDRAM) & a PS3 (1,512 bitwidth of 256bit x 8LocalStores).

The PS4's mystery background chip for network updates show be interesting. WONDER, if a vector processor could translate vector processor code, to something an x86 processor could use? ~ The suggestion of direct to APU L2 cache transfer startled me a little. {Used the bathroom earlier, so I'm still ok. Developers of PS3 games might find themselves...in a different state.}

Imagination Rant:/
I'd write this up as possible for a special edition. $100 extra model. And then shelve is as possible chip designs Sony placed on the back burner, due to increased cost. 100million they might use for the the network background update thing. But a 300million transistor chip... that costs money that would have to appear in the price tag.

With the sudden jump from 4GB of GDDR5 to 8GB GDDR5. Sony likely dumped all hardware backward compatibility and the freed up budget (except possible 1ppu&1spu Network-Processor as the mysterious 9th chip.) , went wild on a 4K Future Spec. (Then being wise business people make no mention they opened the door for 4K processing. Fanboys of other brands would get all snotty about the lack of 4K games, on a 4K console.)

No, as for his prior posts PS4 has also 32MB of ESRAM and the vector co-processor has 1,6Tflops of power. Ah!, and PS4 CPU is 3000 times more powerful than Wiiu's.

Yep. Looks like he is trolling through data used by other people during the creation of PS3.

A crappy translator programs or a kid who speaks a different language might be copying from one forum to another. Or an adult testing the fanboys?

The Graphics Synthesizer was supposed to have 32MB of eDRAM on the PS3.
But they abandoned it and went to nVidia for help. Other numbers also match up to PS3 hype.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew it!

it's not like Sony to not have a Vector Processing Unit in it's console.

My Guess is it's just like the SPEs on the Cell can be used for all types of tasks whatever it's good at & should be a big part in the PlayStation4 Eye Image Processing that is if there isn't another chip for the PlayStation4 Eye.

I am skeptical (I don't buy it). A few people mentioned that it's ARM based, like the ARM 7 (?) core used in TrustZone. I am curious why Sony need to customize it. Or perhaps AMD customized it as part of TrustZone. Sony may have reused it for security and background processing, not number crunching.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/21/dualshock-4-near-final-remote-play/

About DualShock 4 and not letting the press touch it:

I was just asking our PR team can we just let you touch this stuff. Our hardware guys don't want you to find out some detail that ..." he said, trailing off. "Some dirty secret?" we asked. "Of course," he responded with a smile.

Vitality sensors?. Hidden cameras?. We already now it has a kind of expansion port but this side and the back are the only sides absent from the official PR pics.

A wet dream: they have not talken about the playstation eye and very little on the led on DS4. What if the expansion port is for streaming images to a pair of glasses?.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone told Sony they unveiled the PS4 last week? I remember they made a big point about being able to share recorded gameplay with your friends. That perhaps they could in that same spirit share some good quality video of their conference with us through the PSN store, something better than that crappy live feed we got. Anyone? ..... I guess not.

The PS4 specter vector? I'm not a 100% sure what it is at this stage... I'm 45% leaning towards physics offloading or helping out within that department. The other 55% is screaming a modified component for helping PS3 games work within the G/Cloud environment.

But if it allows downloads in background, it must be a generar purpose processor ( ARM or the likes ) and not a vector processor ( except for it being SPUs ok ). Or are we talking here two custom secundary processors?.

Has anyone told Sony they unveiled the PS4 last week? I remember they made a big point about being able to share recorded gameplay with your friends. That perhaps they could in that same spirit share some good quality video of their conference with us through the PSN store, something better than that crappy live feed we got. Anyone? ..... I guess not.

There's 1080p footage freely available online (not the PSN) if you look........

Yeah... Was a little surprised and irritated that the PS Meeting stream just loops around on the official link. I couldn't forward or rewind to the segment I wanted to check out.

They are probably trying to save money for the launch since we can access HD videos elsewhere. I'm alright with it as long as they invest the $$$ wisely.

Seems contradictory. $25 piece of silicon (which is far from cheap) and then a $0 development cost but $80 production cost? 100 million transistors...no 300 million. (?) And where does it fit in with ease of development, with developers already using x86 and GPGPU?

I rate it 0.001% likely.

I thought he was talking about the whole Jaguar chip in the post when he said $80.

that's the way I read it.

This vector processor claim sounds crazy. You'd barely benefit from having this in addition to the available CPU + GPU FLOPs. But if you did somehow benefit you wouldn't give it a direct logical connection to the CPU.. while putting it on a physically separate chip. That makes no sense, and would probably also come at the detriment of the SoC's design (avoiding special external buses is a big reason why the APU is made in the first place). And if you did have to make this chip it wouldn't cost anywhere close to $25, not for a paltry 100m transistors, unless it were pad limited.

25nm is also out of the question, unless it's built into memory or something. While that's interesting in itself, that has a set of different problems that make it very unlikely.

A lot of the specs also just flat out make no sense. How is it a separate chip but "L2 cache of the X86 CPU" - what is that supposed to mean?

So I'm going to say no way unless Sony has totally lost their minds. IF anything remotely resembling this functionality exists it'll probably be for backwards compatibility instead of improving PS4 game performance and it'll certainly be integrated into the APU unless there's some kind of reason why it can't be made by the same manufacturer.

Yeah... Was a little surprised and irritated that the PS Meeting stream just loops around on the official link. I couldn't forward or rewind to the segment I wanted to check out.

They are probably trying to save money for the launch since we can access HD videos elsewhere. I'm alright with it as long as they invest the $$$ wisely.

It's the principle of the matter that annoys me. Here they have the biggest Playstation news in years and they can't even be bothered to show it properly to PS3 owners. It sums up their attitude towards PS3 quite nicely. And it's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to get away with PS4.

There's a 6gb hd download of ps meeting 2013 on gamespot.com

Gamespot does work on the PS3's browser.

It's the principle of the matter that annoys me.
Yep. I mentioned the same in the event thread - Sony didn't provide a way to watch it as part of PlayStation - you had to go to an external agency. But then PS3 was abandoned a while back. It's just been a games machine for maybe a couple of years. Sony gave up improving services and the experience and haven't worked towards a better experience. When you think of all the rumours we once had of a new XMB interface and cross-app chat and the like, it just goes to show how many rumours are complete bunkum. ;) I'm sure PS4 will be far more integrated. Sony ditched PS3 to work on their new baby, I suppose.

Yep. I mentioned the same in the event thread - Sony didn't provide a way to watch it as part of PlayStation - you had to go to an external agency. But then PS3 was abandoned a while back. It's just been a games machine for maybe a couple of years. Sony gave up improving services and the experience and haven't worked towards a better experience. When you think of all the rumours we once had of a new XMB interface and cross-app chat and the like, it just goes to show how many rumours are complete bunkum. ;) I'm sure PS4 will be far more integrated. Sony ditched PS3 to work on their new baby, I suppose.

Yeah. I reached the same conclusion. And talking about things Sony doesn't do.

Use the official Youtube app, the videos are there.

The PS3's Youtube app hasn't made it to Europe yet. And regular Youtube is only in 360p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back