News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by patsu, Jan 23, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I have 8mbits downstream with unlimited data, so in 24hrs i can download ~84 GB.

2. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

I don't even have the highest cable tier these days, but I'm getting 7.5MB/s from providers like Steam and that's probably faster than the memory card in my Vita, and it beats 'next gen' optical media already. The trick of course as always is to provide a continuous stream of such data to a large number of people. ;)

3. -tkf-

Legend

I hope they market a non compromise high quality 4K service, i am fed up with highly compressedvaselined streaming services that claim they provide high quality. It's become a contest of compression and hiding artifacts in a blur.

I am not even sure i would be able to afford it, but i would like to have something to desire and dream about :)

4. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

x6 bluray is 27MB/s [216mbits]

5. Strange

Veteran

7.5MB/s is effectively 60+Mbps Connection (most likely 80mbps/100mbps)。
    Pretty much top of the line considering most people don't have Gigabit Ethernet running in their houses.

6. Prophecy2k

Veteran

Oops wrong thread

7. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

I imagine the kind of person who buys a $30K 4K television in the first year of commercial availability is not the kind of person worried about a data cap from Comcast.

8. LuckyGuess

Banned

You just reminded me of double barrel "Shot-Gun" internet from the old days.

You know...I suppose a cheap fix could be a 4K converter box/card and 4 HDTV projectors matched up. How about spending $4K for a 4K display?

9. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Yup, I have a feeling 4k is going to be even more niche than Laser Disc was. :)

Regards,
    SB

10. Cornsnake

Veteran

11. arijoytunir

Regular

Sony is selling away their hq buildings - US hq at $ 1.1 billion and TOKYO at $1.2 billion . Can we assume that sony is preparing for a hit on ps4 launch ? like if the ps4 does launch for 300-350 - sony could take about $100-200 loss for about 2 years but should be a runaway success with the ps4 . Will this benefit sony in the long run ?

12. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Sony had 11B in cash and cash equivalents 1 year ago. That alone could bankroll any loss they wanted to take on the PS4. It's probably a broader move to inject cash into all their businesses and return the whole company to profitability. I'm sure they're prepared to take some loss on the PS4, but I would be shocked if it's $100 or more.

13. LuckyGuess

Banned

With 12x Blu-ray drives being on the market...

PS4, how much longer is a 6x drive supposed to endure use? 54MB/sec would be great.
    Also I thought Continuous Angular Speed meant there was no change from inside to outside edge.

~ It seemed a lot cooler when PS2 devs were placing data on the edge for higher read speeds.

14. Wynix

Veteran Regular

I haven't heard good things about 12x drives, I would prefer the launch PS4 to be quiet than have an increase in read speed.

6x is a good speed.

15. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

What's the need for a higher speed drive when you have mandatory installs?

16. LuckyGuess

Banned

Great Point. ~ I'm still stuck on the idea, that to keep MS from scabbing new buyers, there needs to be a PS4 with 8GB of Flash Card and nothing more. ~ I know that doesn't fit with the public info. But it makes a lot of sense to me...with my very limited understanding of consumer budgets.

(No more $600 base model console launches. The mass market can only survive so many Neo-Geo's)

17. wco81

Legend

Faster mandatory installs?

18. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

I don't think that's a viable launch model with games possibly being 30gb or greater and a suitable hard drive of 500GB or more probably costing them $30 to $40 at most.

I just hope they keep user swappable HDDs. By the time this console is nearing the end of its lifespan, SSDs will be quite affordable per GB and many may opt for those.

Oh you. I think the game start on a partial install (or download) is the way they get around this. My guess is higher speed drive, aside from costing more, has higher failure and damage rate.

19. LuckyGuess

Banned

Goodness. ~ Meant to write,No Mandatory Installs~! ~ With 8GB I had pictured direct streaming and buffering to the GDDR5. Why double handle and slow the machine reaching the first boot screen? ~ Do the install in the background. Every penny helps.

anexanhume,
    Xbox skipped having HD-DVD for less of a price difference than suggested. What $20 more?

So if a the least expensive notebook drive costs $50... then would $4 of 8GB Flash be smarter?
    ***egg.com/Laptop-Hard-Drives/SubCategory/ID-380?Order=PRICE

20. patsu

Legend

Some article mentioned that the OS will cache BR assets to the HDD where necessary (when they are read). If they want an instant gaming experience, they probably will have a system to do quick partial install and background caching, like Ratchet and Clank.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.