News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by patsu, Jan 23, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsu

Legend

They have dedicated audio, video and decompression units to fill in some of the slacks. ^_^

2. patsu

Legend

>_<"

If Sony wanted to increase the computing power, it would be DF's note about additional compute units. But what for ?

They should only include enough for their target use, and within the price and power profile.

3. bagofsuck

Newcomer

from where are you guys getting 2.0ghz (orbis)?

4. LuckyGuess

Banned

Feels like someone here is a spy for Microsoft. ~ Grrr. Kinect with the Infrared Light & Camera for data acquisition is a brilliant more I wish Sony had followed. Maybe we can make better avatars with two Video Camera on the PS4?

I feel like the thread of thought here suggests AMD 6300.
    It is the cause of my believing Sony could reconsider. then Reduce GDDR5 AND add L3.

Call this old school exposure. But my Barton core with the extra cache didn't slow down with XP updates. And I've got Phenom and Intel cpu's around here that I let sit because of how fast XP can be. There is even an Intel Pentium 233MHz (2MB off core L2 Cache) is kicking Windows 98SE from 2001 just fine. Cache. What is it good for? Longevity!

So, anyone here think maybe Sony needs a nudge, we'd rather have L3 & 6GB than no L3 and 8GB?

5. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

thin air

6. patsu

Legend

You mean like PS Home, Mii and Kinect Avatar ?
    It's probably the art direction that will impact avatar look most. :)

I think there are lot's of interesting uses for camera input. we haven't heard anything about bundled PSEye yet. Let's see what Sony include in the base package first.

I suppose they upgraded to 8GB based on game developers' feedback. Will have to see what they can do with my money. 8^{

Off the top of my head, we can run more things concurrently with a larger memory size. It should help in longevity as dataset becomes bigger, and people want more services while gaming.

7. patsu

Legend

What do you know about the secondary custom chip ?

8. MikeR

Newcomer

The PS4 specter vector? I'm not a 100% sure what it is at this stage... I'm 45% leaning towards physics offloading or helping out within that department. The other 55% is screaming a modified component for helping PS3 games work within the G/Cloud environment.

9. LuckyGuess

Banned

Thank everyone for their insights.
    (Anguish gone. Suck it up and buy both systems... eventually. ~ Build info blew my mind.)

Summary:

PlayStation fan wonders strongly, if some of the GDRR5 budget, should still be directed toward L3 cache or eDRAM?

"Remember the PS2", It lived for nearly a decade, thanks to low latency Quad-Ported 1,024bit eDRAM.
    IMO = Speed and low latency allows independent developers to compete with the magic of big production houses.

Sony...What happened to waiting? {{8 Cores, 4MB L2, 12MB L3, APU, 4-8GB DDR4?}}
    29m:33s into this video http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/psmeeting/index.html

10. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

I knew it!

it's not like Sony to not have a Vector Processing Unit in it's console.

My Guess is it's just like the SPEs on the Cell can be used for all types of tasks whatever it's good at & should be a big part in the PlayStation4 Eye Image Processing that is if there isn't another chip for the PlayStation4 Eye.

#830 onQ, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  11. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

It kind of explains the comment made by amd that they will be selling a similar apu at the end of the year without the sony technology. I was wondering what that sony tech could be.

12. thuway

Newcomer

I still have a very hard time believing either Sony or MS would mess with clocks. After the RROD and YLOD debacle and 3 billion+ dollars spent in buying back good will; I would think both companies would learn a valuable lesson.

In any case, if Sony were to mysteriously clock up the CPU to 2 GHZ and the GPU to 1 GHZ, it would make PS4 eerily close to that magical 2.5 TF number. Here's to Sony figuring out the kinks, but I remain highly pessimistic mr. Mike.

13. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

Good to see you here & I don't think 1.8 to 2.0 GHz is going to be a problem for a CPU that was made for moblie hardware & besides where did the 1.6 numbers come from? if 1.8GHz is the standard Jaguar clockrate 2.0 GHz for a Console isn't pushing it too much.

but on another note if the Vector Processing Unit is as powerful as the SPUs this should push the PS4 above 2TFLOPs total.

14. thuway

Newcomer

Nice to see you too buddy :). Trust me, I want PS4/Durango to hit 2.5 TF magic. I am sure you remember the old threads I highly doubt it, the current specs look nice.

I suspect Sony and MS are holding back clock rates because they do not want to play the game of overheating units. Perhaps, a few years down the line we could see the rates go up like they did with PSP, but for now, I doubt we'll hear a peep about it.

Mr. Cerny did mention 'nearly 2 TF', if Sony had any intention of surpassing 2 TF I am sure it would be a bulletpoint. 2.3 TF is a couple mhz away, but I doubt any one wants to play with a loaded revolver.

15. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Philosopher & Poet
    Veteran

Sony have never made the clock speeds for Vita official either.

16. onQ

onQ
    Veteran

Speaking of the Vector Processing Unit I found a few post from someone going into a lot of detail about it on PlayStation® Community Forums

Is there anyone here who can back up what he is saying or shut it down?
    :

http://community.us.playstation.com...IMD-Vector-Processor-Comparison/td-p/39499285

17. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

• Developed by AMD and me (just a joke)

18. DJ12

Veteran

Who invented this vector unit there are no leaks indicating anything of the sort.

19. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

20. Wynix

Veteran Regular

I agree with this, mark clearly said "Nearly 2TF" so it seemed like they have it locked, but they are only a hair away from 2TF so it's very conceivable that something may get a minor tweak to take them over the line.

Also about your second point; i do not want them to overclock this to any significant degree IF they do decide to OC at all, i'd rather my PS4 be smaller, cooler and above all QUIETER than what the PS3 was/is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.