Gabe Newell: Valve will release its own console-like PC

I also wonder how they handle resolution/aspect ratio differences. I play on a 1680x1050 16:10 monitor but I'd want to render and display 1080p 16:9 on the TV from that same PC over the network.

Your monitor and its resolution will be irrelevant, as it should be.

This is totally useless unless you are really in to Linux games that are on Steam already. Big 3rd party publishers wont be bothered. Im sure it will run Half Life 3 though

With In-Home Streaming I don't see this as useless. And it at least bridges a gap until more support for linux/steamOS arrives. Keep in mind they would be firstly targeting casual gaming for the livingroom with cheap hardware. There's already a lot of indie games on Steam that have Linux support. It's not all about AAA gaming.

For me it is a "meh", I don't like linux, I don't want to change to linux and I don't want to stream a game.

If Microsoft is really smart, thay will alloy to stream Windows 8 content to Xbox One, even with controller emulation.

Also Wireless HDMI has been invented
It hasn't really. That is, there's no HDMI protocol for wireless video. All we have are a lot of ad hoc, incompatible solutions, designed for video streaming rather than live gameplay. Supporting all the different wireless formats would be a support nightmare probably (if one can even get the specs for the different systems), while rolling out their own would require Valve to produce hardware.

If they release a remote play app for Android tablets, together with a WiFi gamepad for example, then this could be big.

Otherwise no.. I'm not willing to sacrifice most of my current library of games in exchange for being part of Valve's tantrum against Windows 8.

If they release a remote play app for Android tablets, together with a WiFi gamepad for example, then this could be big.

Otherwise no.. I'm not willing to sacrifice most of my current library of games in exchange for being part of Valve's tantrum against Windows 8.

I'm not actually sure Windows is a viable platform for a Steambox. The politics in MS not wanting it at all with a direct competitor and the price increase for a Steambox for the licensing would be enough to deter Valve.

I'm not actually sure Windows is a viable platform for a Steambox. The politics in MS not wanting it at all with a direct competitor and the price increase for a Steambox for the licensing would be enough to deter Valve.

What "politics in Microsoft"? I have Windows 8 with the Steam client with any issue.

Right now i think this is meant for hardcore gamers who have a large Steam library and would build a low cost, fanless PC to plug into their TV and stream their games there. I wonder what the situation with controller support would be?

Right now i think this is meant for hardcore gamers who have a large Steam library and would build a low cost, fanless PC to plug into their TV and stream their games there. I wonder what the situation with controller support would be?

It will become more widely popular if Valve manages to put some AAA games on it, and if price is right so that those who dont have gaming PC or nextgen console can get it easily.

Pricing for "better" and "best" version of SteamBox will be very important.

If they release PS Mobile app [or native app] for playing Big Picture Mode on Vita, I would die as a happy man.
That seems unlikely to be supported by Sony, seeing as Sony are wanting to of exactly the same thing and have PS games played remotely on every device.

So another free OS is comings, it is linux based, it has a gaming/media friendly interface, it is forward compatible, it is free, online is free, they are allowing faster hardware iterations.
It is Linux based so extremely relevant and free software like Open and Libre office could be available pretty soon, again the OS is free.
Same hardware as PC, slightly better perfs than windows, ports should be a breath. It's free.

I like when it is free, it means I can try whenever I want :)

Things I want to know are:
More detail about the state of their negotiation with EA, Ubisoft, etc.
A confirmation that the OS is (as Linux) going to be ISA agnostic/portable (ARM and why not MIPS cf IMG tech).
I think Nvidia is going to "help" as it is in their best interest, the OS should run on ARM (my assumption), they are the one developing the drivers, they are back in the game (no X86 cores is no longer a constrain). We are going to see Nvidia based (CPU+GPU) machine. It makes sense along with shield, actually as I expected Shield as a placeholder product makes more sense now that Steam made its move. I wonder if Nvidia could be involved with valve more deeply.

Overall it is pretty great so far, they have a shot at taking some gamers, that like both console and PC core game, don't want to pay to play online when their usage is sparse, etc. They (Valve and partner supporting the OS) should support high end configurations out doing (at a cost obviously) Durango/Orbis, may also be able to provide lower end sku than either Durango or Orbis, for cheap.

I also wonder with their policies with regard mobiles devices, if the Steam OS runs on ARM for example you could have plenty of a devices only able to run non demanding indie games. Though that is Android realm.
For non mobile devices with ARM v8 implementation coming, one has to wonder about the extend to which designs like Adreno (or more interesting) Rogue scale. It would be be funny to see a spamming of cheap steam box coming from Chinese integrators and gaming SoC from mediatek, Allwinner, Rockstar, etc.

Really interesting it can bomb pretty badly that is for sure but there I also see a potential for a snowballing effect.

Anyway it puts some pressure on Sony and a lot more on MSFT which could see lots of people having lose intensive to instal windows on their PC.
We're on the console forum so let focus on consoles, I think the first round of products may not be threatening though by 2015, with quite possibly 14nm process, hybrid memory cube available (and what not), it could turn into the blood bath Blezinski was speaking about.

Now I also feel that Google may not be too happy about another actor capitalizing on "free", so well it could get even more bloody.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will become more widely popular if Valve manages to put some AAA games on it, and if price is right so that those who dont have gaming PC or nextgen console can get it easily.

Pricing for "better" and "best" version of SteamBox will be very important.

Clearly Valve wants developers to build games for its native OS but i'm not sure how this incentivizes that. Even if they increase the install base of Linux with this OS, its not like they'll lose a sale by having a windows only version will they?

Regardless i think its fascinating what Valve are doing here and their business savvy has me thinking more along the lines of why it will work instead of why it wont.

Newell is clever he knows the real battle is about OS and appstore.
He has a profitable app-store and he doesn't need his users to subsidize for the service he is providing (ala Google or Apple). He choose the same model as Google, at a time when everybody on the web is disregarding the impact of the paywall set on online gaming by msft and Sony, it is solid argument for SteamOS for cores on a budget.
I really look forward to see the type of hardware conf available and the prices.

Back