Gabe Newell: Valve will release its own console-like PC

Dunno what title that can be, but Team Fortress 2 used to be vaporware too. It took about a decade to get through the door, most of it seemingly developed in secret after every one had either forgotten about it or believed it was abandoned.

Shit I'm excited.. less than half a hour to go.
They managed to keep things pretty secret, that is quite nice, I feel like a teenage girl... :LOL:
Let hope they have something worthy I like competition or that is not a cheap marketing trick to announce something not that relevant.

I was starring at the countdown, trying to figure out why I heard a clock ticking. It seems my son threw his watch behind the computer monitors, and I did not hear until I started to stare. It was an exact match for the timer as well. *freaky

Edit - will all reveals be today?

Yeah, Valve's fork of Linux, designed to work great for games and interaction with Steam on windows [Remote Play gaming from Windows to SteamOS micro console].

Interesting parts:
In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases.

Hundreds of great games are already running natively on SteamOS. Watch for announcements in the coming weeks about all the AAA titles coming natively to SteamOS in 2014. Access the full Steam catalog of over nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.

SteamOS running on linux. First thing I noticed that really piqued my interest was the In-home Streaming. Run games on your Windows PC and stream to your TV. Over gigabit there won't be any real latency so maybe I actually don't need to upgrade my HTPC to become a gaming machine!

Ok this could be interesting, wonder how Windows Media Center will work with it! Kidding Aside --

How will this compare natively to my big monster PC, or I am guessing that for those with nice rigs it will just act as a streambox, while for those without they hopefully get a nice gaming machine but nothing that can compare.

$99 or $199 if how it works in my head is about right.

SteamOS running on linux. First thing I noticed that really piqued my interest was the In-home Streaming. Run games on your Windows PC and stream to your TV. Over gigabit there won't be any real latency so maybe I actually don't need to upgrade my HTPC to become a gaming machine!

In house streaming is fine, but even gaming PCs will struggle with real-time high-end video encoding. Hopefully Valve will announce that they have secured some hardware support from AMD or Nvidia for 1080p streaming.

PS4 has a hardware encoder in its APU, and it can manage 720p60 with stream quality on VitaTV that was described as "playing 1080p youtube video". Image quality is fine, but not not perfect.

A free gaming OS tuned for gaming performance sounds about right. It sounds like they're actually working on the kernel to make sure game performance is good, rather than just being another software layer dumped on top of Linux. It'll be interesting when people can do performance comparisons with Windows, OSX and other flavours of LInux.

In house streaming is fine, but even gaming PCs will struggle with real-time high-end video encoding. Hopefully Valve will announce that they have secured some hardware support from AMD or Nvidia for 1080p streaming.

PS4 has a hardware encoder in its APU, and it can manage 720p60 with stream quality on VitaTV that was described as "playing 1080p youtube video". Image quality is fine, but not not perfect.

I also wonder how they handle resolution/aspect ratio differences. I play on a 1680x1050 16:10 monitor but I'd want to render and display 1080p 16:9 on the TV from that same PC over the network.

Well, we know for sure that they're going to support an open hardware platform. You can play your games on any hardware that is supported by Steam OS, which I'm assuming is going to be pretty much everything. They also mention other companies can make Steam OS machines, so you'll probably see a range of home theater PCs. Will Valve release their own Steam "console"? I'm starting to doubt it. Maybe they would, but I'd think they wouldn't be able to compete with the other builders. I suppose there is still the possibility they will sell a console that will be the baseline for certification, if they do that. It seems more likely they'll have some kind of hardware peripheral, but maybe not. Didn't they axe some hardware people?

This is totally useless unless you are really in to Linux games that are on Steam already. Big 3rd party publishers wont be bothered. Im sure it will run Half Life 3 though

Also Wireless HDMI has been invented

This is totally useless unless you are really in to Linux games that are on Steam already. Big 3rd party publishers wont be bothered. Im sure it will run Half Life 3 though

Also Wireless HDMI has been invented

Well, they're saying they have AAA games coming. So I guess we'll see. It won't be so useless if they have most of the big developers on board.

Back