Gabe Newell: Valve will release its own console-like PC

I think it will be fully opened ecosystem, with choice of buying Steambox or creating your own configuration at will. I also believe that everything that they introduce on LinuxBox will be also present on PC, so old gamers will don't have to experience any disadvantage.

I wonder if it will be nvidia-only, or Ubuntu 14.04-only (with AMD drivers hopefully up to par for Trinity, Steamroller, Jaguar, Brazos, GCN dedicated GPUs)

The Valve console (and maybe, PCs certified with a Valve logo like OEM PCs often come with a Windows logo) would certainly use a new generation display driver, Wayland or Mir, rather than the old X11 legacy.

So hopefully the main interface can be lean, smooth with no bugs and no anomalous CPU overhead (just like the small Android and IOS computers with their zooming effects, or Windows Vista/7/8 where the effects are smooth on Atom or very old hardware).

Last edited by a moderator:
Saving HL3 as the ultimate maggot on the hook... Jesus, I think that I might actually bite if it launched with or was announced to be coming exclusively to their hardware..

I don't think this will ever exist, at least not with Vale building it.
Valve thrives on letting other people do the work:
-buy nearly complete mods and polish them
-get a really big cut for publishing other people's titles on steam

Although sometimes they create their own, new games as well. Half Life being a good example.
The console business is really tough. And it involves a lot of risks.
Which goes completely against Valves company mantra.

Ummm, Valve creates just as many games as other developers over a similar time period. While the Half-life series has stalled they have done Left 4 Dead (first party studio bought during development of the first game) and the Portal series. As well as the 100% F2P (no in app purchases) game Alien Swarm. Not to mention Team Fortress and Counterstrike. Sure those may have been developers that were hired and/or purchased by Valve, but they remain internal development teams funded internally by Valve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Corporation

Shows that they release internally developed games on a yearly basis for the most part.

Regards,
SB

Ummm, Valve creates just as many games as other developers over a similar time period. While the Half-life series has stalled they have done Left 4 Dead (first party studio bought during development of the first game) and the Portal series. As well as the 100% F2P (no in app purchases) game Alien Swarm. Not to mention Team Fortress and Counterstrike. Sure those may have been developers that were hired and/or purchased by Valve, but they remain internal development teams funded internally by Valve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Corporation

Shows that they release internally developed games on a yearly basis for the most part.

Regards,
SB

I understand your sentiment but "other developers" operate like this:
-make plans for a game
-(optional) hire extra people necessary to facilitate development of said game
-develop the game

compare this to:
which originated from a Half-Life modification by Minh "Gooseman" Le and Jess "Cliffe" Cliffe. By the fourth beta version, Valve Software, the developer who created Half-Life, began assisting in the development of Counter-Strike.[1] In 2000, Valve bought the rights to Counter-Strike

Portal is Valve's spiritual successor to the freeware game Narbacular Drop, the 2005 independent game released by students of the DigiPen Institute of Technology; the original Narbacular Drop team is now employed at Valve.[34][35] Valve became interested in Narbacular Drop after seeing the game at DigiPen's annual career fair; Robin Walker, one of Valve's developers, saw the game at the fair and later contacted the team providing them with advice and offering to show their game at Valve's offices. After their presentation, Valve's president Gabe Newell quickly offered the entire team jobs at Valve to develop the game further.

Left 4 Dead (abbreviated as L4D) is a cooperative first-person shooter arcade-style video game. It was developed by Turtle Rock Studios, which was purchased by Valve Corporation during development.

Alien Swarm is a freeware top-down shoot-em-up video game by Valve Corporation. It is a remake of the Alien Swarm mod for Unreal Tournament 2004, and it was developed by the original team, who were hired by Valve during the course of the development process.

Team Fortress is a team- and class-based online multiplayer video game mod originally based on the first person shooter Quake, made by id Software. Team Fortress was designed and written by Robin Walker, John Cook and Ian Caughley in 1996. The mod's gameplay has caught on with a large following of fans, which has spurred many developers to create similar gamemodes on other engines. In August 1999, after the development team was hired by Valve, Team Fortress was ported to Valve's GoldSrc engine in the form of Team Fortress Classic.

I'll give you TF2 though. But you probably understand my point by now.
Diclaimer: I have a love companion and a pluche half life 2 alien and a picture of gabe newell, signed, as well so no harm intended, just straight facts sorry.

Yap, it looks like the team that made HL2 has just been sitting on their ass for 6 years, since Ep.2 and TF2.

That or they all changed division to the Money Counting Department.

Yap, it looks like the team that made HL2 has just been sitting on their ass for 6 years, since Ep.2 and TF2.

That or they all changed division to the Money Counting Department.

In their defense, they did make DOTA2 which is a pretty nice title.
edit: crap, don't tell me that it's a "valve-d" title as well.. :(

I've been considering actually rebuilding my downstairs entertainment HTPC (currently an E-350) into a windows based high powered Steam Big Picture box along with the WMC and XBMC use. I have more and more games available on my account that are very friendly for couch and controller use.

Of course this would end up a lot more expensive than what Valve would be considering but I find it's more and more a viable alternative/supplement to my existing Sony consoles. Especially for the many of us that have extensive media integration in their house.

And on Tuesday will it still be counting days since then, just like some of their earlier countdown clocks when they missed the date by years?

I love Valve, but honestly my PC gets around the house just fine via HDMI and USB in the attic. So a Steambox really means nothing for me sadly, I want HL2ep3 or HL3 over anything else.

If they do announce it for a SBox or erm Linux only, then I will see I guess. Unless they are years away from both! lol

Just bought a fat new PC this past summer so fat chance I'd buy a steambox, especially one running fucking linux. Forget it, not gonna happen in a million years.

I love Valve, but honestly my PC gets around the house just fine via HDMI and USB in the attic. So a Steambox really means nothing for me sadly, I want HL2ep3 or HL3 over anything else.

If they do announce it for a SBox or erm Linux only, then I will see I guess. Unless they are years away from both! lol

SteamBox alone wont be enough to motivate a lot of people to get it [especially with small pool of games running on Linux]. There needs to be some new game present, something that will drive sales. Left4Dead 3 is a goid start, but more is needed.

As for new type of controllers or valve-branded VR.... possible, but IMO unlikely.

SteamBox alone wont be enough to motivate a lot of people to get it [especially with small pool of games running on Linux]. There needs to be some new game present, something that will drive sales. Left4Dead 3 is a goid start, but more is needed.

As for new type of controllers or valve-branded VR.... possible, but IMO unlikely.

They dropped the VR development right? Unless it was one of many parallel developments going on.

I just wonder how much you can hope to achieve, unless the price is insanely right against other platforms vs performance. We just need more details I guess, is it a Valve Box, or just a standard to build to, etc. Find out soon enough, going to be a great week with reveals. Surface, Valve, AMD all next week.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Valve will unveil 3 things this week related to the living room. One of them is obviously the Steam Box.
Any bets on what the other two will be?

BTW:
- 3 announcements -> number 3
- living room -> living comes from life
- living room -> I share my room with my girlfriend. You could say we split it in half.

Half Life 3 confirmed!

j/k

EDIT: Duh, forgot to check the previous page as this is 2-days-old news. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are 8 hours away from the Steambox news gate being opened. I really hope that they will announce some new games this week.

Back