Windows phone 8

Of course they can. I have no idea what NotTarts is trying to say, but I have embedded products that we run CE, NT and Linux on. Same hardware.

Given the problems with the Mango update (several month delays for some handsets due to technical issues) I wonder if there's some none-obvious technical issue that's deterring MS from a Windows 8 update? It's hard to see the likes of LG and HTC putting significant work into overcoming issues with old handsets. Would it be better or worse to only have selected handsets able to manage the upgrade?

[edit: Jubei beat me to it!]

Uh, please do cite the Android flagship that was obsoleted within 2 months of launch.

Galaxy S3 american verison. Its already obsolete before its launch date because its only a dual core verison and not a Quad core like the rest of the world is getting.

Anyway plenty of andriod phones only get 1 or 2 OS updates . The lumia line will get at least 1 to 7.8 and there might be 1 or 2 more on the horizon after that.

My galaxy s had Andriod 2.1 got pushed to andriod 2.2 and finaly 2.3 . It recieved 2 minor Os upgrades on the system before Samsung droped it from future updates.

There are still andriod phones that don't have Ice Cream Sandwich but now jelly bean is coming out. Andriod support sucks anyway you put it sadly.

Now of course if I was a lumima owner who needed the best constantly i'd be pissed but i'm sure for most owners they wont even know.

eastmen you're just being a twit.

The S4 dual core in the US version is still faster than most everything out there - FAIL.
You might as well say the I9300 version of the SGS3 is obsolete because it doesn't have LTE or 2GB RAM.

So there you go - by your (il)logic two of the fastest, best-selling and most app-lovin phones are "obsolete" so your definition actually means nothing even similar to the word obsolete. Language isn't your forte clearly.

Obsolete means no future. No app development. A dead OS. Even Android 2.1 is still running new apps. It actually only has anything to do with OS updates when those updates are required to keep the platform alive with continuing app development.

The Lumia 900 is two months old. The dev community knows that it's platform will never hold a higher percentage of the market than it does *today* which is about 1% or less. App development will stop. Sales will stop. It is as dead a platform as a Pre3 and Symbian.

After two months.

eastmen you're just being a twit.

The S4 dual core in the US version is still faster than most everything out there - FAIL.
You might as well say the I9300 version of the SGS3 is obsolete because it doesn't have LTE or 2GB RAM.

So there you go - by your (il)logic two of the fastest, best-selling and most app-lovin phones are "obsolete" so your definition actually means nothing even similar to the word obsolete. Language isn't your forte clearly.

Obsolete means no future. No app development. A dead OS. Even Android 2.1 is still running new apps. It actually only has anything to do with OS updates when those updates are required to keep the platform alive with continuing app development.

The Lumia 900 is two months old. The dev community knows that it's platform will never hold a higher percentage of the market than it does *today* which is about 1% or less. App development will stop. Sales will stop. It is as dead a platform as a Pre3 and Symbian.

After two months.

Its faster than anything else out there except the same exact phone with a faster cpu sold every where else in the world.

Windows phone 7.5 and 7.8 will still be running new apps. Do you really think a developer is not going to target for the widest range of windows phone users as possible ?

Ms has the tools to allow devs to continue producing 7 apps that will work just find on 8. And devs will continue to do so

Its faster than anything else out there except the same exact phone with a faster cpu sold every where else in the world.

Windows phone 7.5 and 7.8 will still be running new apps. Do you really think a developer is not going to target for the widest range of windows phone users as possible ?

Ms has the tools to allow devs to continue producing 7 apps that will work just find on 8. And devs will continue to do so

I seriously doubt this. There is essentially NO installed base compared to Android and iOS and it will not be free to add the legacy platform to new development. I guess in a year we'll just count how many apps have been created for WP8 vs. WP7.x since WP8's release, won't we?

What's more all the promise of WP7 that was alluded to - and sometimes explicitly stated - is dashed on the rocks. The vast majority of Lumia 900 owners that I know of were convinced they would see WP8 right up until MS made it official that they will not. If you think that there isn't a huge pile of buyer's remorse over Lumia 900s out there right now, you're mistaken.

Best thing that could happen to the Lumia 900 now is an ICS port like they did with the N9.

There's the funny! The N9 is comparable or slower than the Lumia 900 and yet it runs ICS well whereas the Lumia 900 is too wimpy for WP8? I think not. I'm quite certain the Lumia 900 is the oomph to run WP8 but Micronokiasoft is just hoping to up device sales by not offering an OS update path.

You make my head hurt. The dual-core actually beats the exynos quad in some benchmarks and it has LTE which is gobs faster than the i9300.

So your telling me a developer will drop all 7.x development and restart on 8 even though all 7.x apps will run on 8 ? Even though WP7.x has a tiny install base , it still has a bigger install base than WP8 does and that will likely hold true through the end of the year and into 2013. Not only that but WP7.x though 8 will have a bigger installed base through 2013 and into 2014 than 8 alone.

While app releases may reduce in quanity through 2013 apps will still come out and right now there are over 100k apps .

I personally can't really see Microsoft allowing that to happen, it would be a massive dent to their credibility akin to the scrapping support of original xbox and the red rings of death...I just think they would be that stupid.

Remember - if you app runs on WP7.x it won't have access to many of WP8's advantages like multitasking.

french toast - your analogy is perfect. If MS released the xbox 360 just 2 months after the original xbox...hmmm well the 360 will play xbox games so, sure, all the devs will make xbox games and not xbox 360 games!

There are still andriod phones that don't have Ice Cream Sandwich but now jelly bean is coming out. Andriod support sucks anyway you put it sadly.

Absolutely correct. In fact Sandwich is still only on about 8% devices out there.

Android is a mess in terms of OS updates and there is frankly nothing Google can do about it - they have no real control over that.

This is going to hurt them vs iOS and WM devices ( assuming MS gets it right).

Absolutely correct. In fact Sandwich is still only on about 8% devices out there.

Android is a mess in terms of OS updates and there is frankly nothing Google can do about it - they have no real control over that.

This is going to hurt them vs iOS and WM devices ( assuming MS gets it right).

This is almost certainly why Google is getting heavily into the hardware business.
Just as MS is releasing "surface" to clamp down its ecosystem, so Google is moving that way too.

Basically they both want to be like Apple - closed and massively more profitable on mobile products.

I'd rather have a flagship phone with the MSM8960 than the Exynos 4412.
Quad Cortex A9 superiority over dual Krait is questionable, the extra GPU oomph in the Exynos will go mostly unused in its lifetime and I'd rather have a LTE-capabale device.

Just saying...

I'd rather have a flagship phone with the MSM8960 than the Exynos 4412.
Quad Cortex A9 superiority over dual Krait is questionable, the extra GPU oomph in the Exynos will go mostly unused in its lifetime and I'd rather have a LTE-capabale device.

This.

Remember - if you app runs on WP7.x it won't have access to many of WP8's advantages like multitasking.

french toast - your analogy is perfect. If MS released the xbox 360 just 2 months after the original xbox...hmmm well the 360 will play xbox games so, sure, all the devs will make xbox games and not xbox 360 games!

Yes they did actually drop support for the original xbox..not after 2 months mind.

If for instance they do completely drop all support then that would suck...however I have thought of something...

What if windows phone 7.8 were to be carried on in budget phones? After all tango has just been released and it allows lesser ram and so on...that would keep the eco system going strong..

I guess we can see that "obsolete" is a bit subjective.
So here's the test!

Is WP7.X and the Lumia 900 "obsolete" to you? If you would buy one it is not. If you would not because you'd prefer to wait for WP8, it is.

Done.

french toast your idea has merit, but it would be very un-Microsoft-like...

wco81: ouch

Galaxy S3 american verison. Its already obsolete before its launch date because its only a dual core verison and not a Quad core like the rest of the world is getting.

Judging by your logic the whole industry is going obsolete then since pretty much every Cortex-A15 design in the pipelines are dual-core aswell. Hell your argument becomes even more hilarious considering the WP8 phones are all using the same SOC as the S3. I guess they are obselete aswell

Anyway plenty of andriod phones only get 1 or 2 OS updates . The lumia line will get at least 1 to 7.8 and there might be 1 or 2 more on the horizon after that.

Plenty of Android phones only get 1 or 2 updates. No Android flagship phone with a massive ad campaign about the smartphone beta test being over has gotten 1 update and then killed. LOL @ 1 or 2 updates coming after 7.8. You learned nothing from the Win Mobile past huh?

My galaxy s had Andriod 2.1 got pushed to andriod 2.2 and finaly 2.3 . It recieved 2 minor Os upgrades on the system before Samsung droped it from future updates.

Those 2 were minor updates? I bet you will call a fix to the wifi issue on the Lumia 900 as a major OS update then. And no Samsung has not dropped the Galaxy S from future updates, there is a value pack update coming

Now of course if I was a lumima owner who needed the best constantly i'd be pissed but i'm sure for most owners they wont even know.

Yes Android support sucks. But now we also know that Microsofts support sucks just as much. The difference is, Android never claimed to be iOS, WP7 was supposed to be everything Android is not and now we know that was all bullshit.

As for Lumia owners not knowing about whats happening. They will soon enough

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304898704577480340752531300.html

More and more mainstream media will pick this up as WP8 gets closer to release.

Under that reasoning, Exynos 5250, OMAP5430 and Nova A9600 are all obsolete before their launch because they're all dual-cores.

;)

Yes, updates on Android are a pain if you don't flash custom roms (95% of the people?).

It's getting better, though.
We've had a large "hole" during 2011 because of the tablet-only Honeycomb, but ICS solved that.

So your telling me a developer will drop all 7.x development and restart on 8 even though all 7.x apps will run on 8 ? Even though WP7.x has a tiny install base , it still has a bigger install base than WP8 does and that will likely hold true through the end of the year and into 2013. Not only that but WP7.x though 8 will have a bigger installed base through 2013 and into 2014 than 8 alone.

While app releases may reduce in quanity through 2013 apps will still come out and right now there are over 100k apps .

No a developer will not drop all 7.x development. You know why? Because none of the big developers had any 7.x development in the first place. The only devs that will continue working on 7.x were doing it already. If big apps like Flipboard or Instagram were going to be developed on using Silverlight etc, we would have seen those apps on WP7 already after 2,5 years. But its simply not worth the resources and manpower needed for a tiny install base. However these same developers will instead find it easier and cheaper to port their apps to WP8 because of the flexibility available

Not to mention by focusing on 7.x you lose all the benefits of WP8 specific APIs. This is not the console business, the competition is not going to stand still while Microsoft gets to build up their ecosystem. By focusing on 7.x it limits the more innovative apps for W8 wich is needed because Google and Apple will constantly be improving their own

I still maintain that Microsoft would be best advised keeping wp7 on as a budget os ...however that would introduce fragmentation into the system..unlike symbian and meego they wouldn't be very compatable either.

Bit at least wp7 users wouldn't feel left out.

Aside from the poor impoverished wp7 users, wp8 will be generation leading software imo.

Tell me -Microsoft's assertion that running native code will enable much more powerfull apps and also super fast porting- is that true or are they just using hyperbole?

Back