Windows phone 8

Damn, Nokia jumped off a burning platform and onto a burnt out platform.

On the plus side you might be able to pick up a salty Lumia 900 real cheap on ebay soon.

.Tell me -Microsoft's assertion that running native code will enable much more powerfull apps and also super fast porting- is that true or are they just using hyperbole?

Native code and APIs like directx will allow engines like Unity and Unreal to be used and we will see a lot more games. Microsoft also likes to pay for exclusives i wouldnt be surprised if we saw exclusive games aswell. In general i think WP8 wont be left in the corner like WP7 was.

As for super fast porting. Its both hyperbole and true. iOS and OS X share the same core too but its not like OS X developers spend an hour tweaking code and voila we have a port ready

Remember - if you app runs on WP7.x it won't have access to many of WP8's advantages like multitasking.

I don't think the WP8's multi tasking is actually any different from WP7. Sure, it has more background tasks available for the developer, but it's not "true multitasking". The Win 8 metro doesn't have this so it's quite certain that the WP8 doesn't have it either.

[edit: Jubei beat me to it!]

Uh, please do cite the Android flagship that was obsoleted within 2 months of launch.

Not in two months. But in general every Android device older than 5-6 months.

Some are obsolete at launch, like the LG Optimus 2X that launched last april with andoird 2.2 with the promise of Android 2.3 being just weeks away. The 2.3 upgrade finally came in november. In november they promised 4.0 in the second quarter, which they are now backing away from, I'm guessing november again, - if ever.

It seems to be a general trend, upgrades for old phones are consistently late by months, obviously to shift new phones with the newest Android

Cheers

Couldn't agree more, whilst wp7 users are going to feel hacked off a little, that will at least be a one off as they can expect near faultless updates in future.

Android users get a raw deal every single phone, every single manufacturer, every single update process.

Apple is of course many times better, bit even they are not perfect, apparently iphone 4s won't get some mapping feature so I read, and ipad 3 didn't get siri....but no question android eco system is a mess.

Apple is of course many times better, bit even they are not perfect, apparently iphone 4s won't get some mapping feature so I read, and ipad 3 didn't get siri....but no question android eco system is a mess.
What mapping feature will the iPhone 4S not get? As far as I know, every announced feature of iOS 6 is available for the iPhone 4S. There's no point in announcing a feature that even your latest device isn't going to support. The iPhone 5 will no doubt get some additional exclusive features, but neither the phone nor the features have been announced yet. Unless you mean the iPhone 4 which isn't getting 3D maps and turn-by-turn. Ideally the iPhone 4 would get those features, but for the device will be more than 2 years old by the time iOS 6 is released so Apple putting less effort into it is not surprising. The iPad 3 is getting Siri in iOS 6.

iphone 4S and ipad 3 get it all. Ipad 2 doesn't. There's a table on engadget for those too lazy to read through articles.

If you think of Windows Phone 7 & 7.5 as the 1st & 2nd gen(3G) iPhones & Windows Phone 8 as the 3rd gen iPhone(3GS) then it's not so bad, but not great either. The only problem is how they fast tracked the OS upgrade to 2 months after the flagship model released, but considering the lack of market share it's understandable. Windows Phone 7 & 7.5 devices will continue to be useful even after 7.8 is released just as the original iPhone & iPhone 3G are still useful. Neither will get additional updates. The original iPhone supports only 3.1.3 & the 3G only supports 4.2.1. The ecosystem is intact too as all your app purchases in WP7 will carry over to WP8. I was really upset about their treatment of new WP7 customers with this announcement, but after a few days I'm not exactly sure they could have handled it any better. I think this article on Gizmodo paints a painful picture though...

Sorry, But Microsoft Screwing Windows Phone Fans Is the Right Thing To Do
http://gizmodo.com/5919993/sorry-bu...windows-phone-owners-is-the-right-thing-to-do

If you read some of the comments on various blogs after the announcement is was interesting to see how some fence sitters(those where the Metro UI appealed to them, but lack of apps didn't) thought it was a good long term move. I think 6 months after launch we'll know if turned out to be good move.

Tommy McClain

You recall Apple paying $100 to recent buyers for new iPhone releases and then subsidizing a reduction in plan lengths so people could update sooner, right? Is MS or Nokia doing either? Imagine if the iPhone 3G had come out two months after the huge fanfare of the original, but then add that it also comes with a new OS that the two month old model can't run.

Methinks a few folks here might hold Apple to a different standard than they do Microsoft. For whatever reason there are just those who believe MS can do no wrong...

I see a lot of claims about double standards and who did what, but it's all speculation.

You can argue all you want that Microsoft should never have released WP7 if they believed that a break for WP8 may have been required. But without WP7, it seems unlikely that there ever would have been a WP8.

If Microsoft's plan is to make a competitive phone that is designed to reduce the distance between phone and desktop (at least as far as 3rd party developers are concerned), then breaking compat was going to happen.

There seems to be this idea that the only "responsible" thing to do would be tell everyone 2 years in advance that it's coming so that what... everyone stops being phones, they lose all momentum and the ecosystem dies? Sounds like a great plan.

Yes, it's not great if you want the latest and greatest all the time and just bought a 900. It turns out that in the mobile space, if you want the latest and greatest all the time, you're going to be buying a *lot* of phones.

If vendor support and the general ecosystem for WP7 completely tanks as soon as WP8 hits, then there may be trouble. I don't think that's going to happen. It will probably slow down somewhat, but the phone is still going to be a phone and the app marketplace is far from empty.

Maybe it's just me, but I have never purchased a phone on the strengths of apps or features it doesn't even have yet. If one thing has been made abundantly clear by every phone vendor, it's a bad idea to bet that the device you buy is going to get radically better over time. Compared to not very long ago, phones getting any updates at all is basically a miracle.

What mapping feature will the iPhone 4S not get? As far as I know, every announced feature of iOS 6 is available for the iPhone 4S. There's no point in announcing a feature that even your latest device isn't going to support. The iPhone 5 will no doubt get some additional exclusive features, but neither the phone nor the features have been announced yet. Unless you mean the iPhone 4 which isn't getting 3D maps and turn-by-turn. Ideally the iPhone 4 would get those features, but for the device will be more than 2 years old by the time iOS 6 is released so Apple putting less effort into it is not surprising. The iPad 3 is getting Siri in iOS 6.
Well I was referring to this article off inquirer (pinch of salt)..here s a quote..
"While Apple said that it will bring IOS 6 to its previous smartphones, it's since been discovered that not all of the functionality of IOS 6 will be coming to the Iphone 4S - including Apple's much-trumpeted turn-by-turn navigation."

http://m.theinquirer.net/inquirer/opinion/2186402/microsoft-isnt-screwing-windows-phone-adopters

I think at least Microsoft should come out mad give its recent customers a valid reason as to why there brand new phone won't get the new update...I agree we need to move onto a new operating system that moves things on, if there is no better way than fair enough.

But I think it would go down a whole lot easier if they explained to consumers why there phone can't accept it.
If it is a multicore or gpu performance problem then they owe an apology for knitting out their recent phones with outdated hardware on a cusp of a major update.
However if it was an unavoidable problem and there was no other way than this..ie a Rom size issue or direct x 9.3 compliance (which wasn't available till tegra 3) then come forward and and explain that instead of saying users won't be bothered..they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you could argue that WP7 was a stop-gap measure all along. They used the Windows CE kernel, knowing that eventually they'd have to move to the NT kernel and break compatibility.

So they supposedly started with a clean slate with WP7, breaking compatibility with WM.

Now, they're going to orphan WP7 behind.

And if WP8 doesn't take off, they could switch gears again. They may not have much of a choice, they would have to keep trying something rather than sit and watch iOS and Android make more and more money.

Well you could argue that WP7 was a stop-gap measure all along. They used the Windows CE kernel, knowing that eventually they'd have to move to the NT kernel and break compatibility.

So they supposedly started with a clean slate with WP7, breaking compatibility with WM.

Now, they're going to orphan WP7 behind.

And if WP8 doesn't take off, they could switch gears again. They may not have much of a choice, they would have to keep trying something rather than sit and watch iOS and Android make more and more money.

Android isn't really making much money actually (for Google or any other OEM besides Samsung)... Microsoft is also already making a small buck on it thanks to all the patentlicensing d"eals" with all the Android ODMs/OEMs (other than Moto)..

True Google itself isn't making a lot of money but Android represents a threat to Microsoft's business.

As mobile devices become more capable, more people will use them instead of PCs over time.

has anyone got any info whether windows 8 will support true multitasking? or will it be tombstone approach ala wp8?

someone mentioned it a page or so back because sharing the kernel.

iOS and OSX "share a kernel" but iOS doesn't have true multitasking and OSX does...so it's possible Windows 8 will and WP8/RT might not. I would certainly hope that's not the case...

"makes your apps feel alive!" I have to say that sounds like a no no to me...seriously full windows going backwards and not having multitasking??

Or is that just the rt ??

Back