Windows phone 8

Discussion in 'Mobile Software' started by french toast, Jun 20, 2012.

1. french toast

Veteran

I was thinking more...retro!..

2. Ike Turner

Veteran Regular

And Windows Mobile / PocketPC back in 2001....

3. Mize

Mize 3dfx Fan
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Touche - as did my Kyocera 6035 in 2001.

So let's face it, 98.3% of all "smartphone" advances in the last few years are eye-candy and ease of use, often at the expense of true features and functionality.

Hell the iPhone still doesn't have IMAP IDLE that my PalmOS devices had with Chattermail.

4. zed

zed
    Veteran

well considering that in the above benchmark a midrange
    1ghz android is faster than the top of the line 1.4ghz WP7.5 phone, I wouldn't be so certain.

I take it you dont develop apps, eg heres part of the IOS guidelines
    If your splash screen is not the native screensize your app will be rejected

WRT normal in-app textures (esp true on 2d stuff which most phone apps are)
    Simple rule -> the higher the res, the bigger the texture size needs to be to look good
    man this aint rocketscience, ok its obvious you havent developed stuff before but even for a layperson surely this is obvious?

5. joker454

Veteran

Splash screens don't do anything though, they are just a static image displayed. It's not like every pixel of a splash screen is being shaded with a 300 instruction pixel shader and displayed on a 500k vertex rotating mesh with 300 light sources. A 2d image is loaded and displayed, that's it, as was shown in those benchmark tests in that video that was previously linked. They have no effect on load time unless you want to argue that a 1280x720 jpg loads significantly slower than a 800x480 jpg, in which case I'd argue that if a phone took that long to load a few extra k then it's probably an unusable phone anyways.

6. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Urgh, appealing to your own authority and selective quoting/ignoring the most salient points followed by a poorly disguised troll.

And once again you try and duck around your frankly stupid claims that the resolution of the splash screen is causing the apps to load so fast on Windows Phone 7.

No one was talking about iOS, and that's pretty damn clear. The comparison in the video was Android vs WP7. I'm not an Android developer but afaik you don't get rejected for having a splash screen that isn't the native resolution. But if I'm wrong I hope someone corrects me. And if I am, exactly nothing will have changed because it still won't be having a significant impact on load times.

Secondly, depending on what your app does you may want to use the extra resolution to display more content, or you may be working with mostly text, or you may load your textures at some time other than app startup. A higher resolution display does not mean that app startup times will necessarily be lengthened due to loading larger images. You ignored the part where I said this, and instead reply "without quote" in some kind of durr hurr u tink higher resolution can't show bettor pics carnival of dickery.

7. french toast

Veteran

@Function :)

Come on zed...that's sunspider scores...that browser optimisations, something that Microsoft had publicly stated they have not optimised for in wp7. Wp8 and internet explorer 10 will change that by about 5x.

A better idea of the efficiency of wp would be to look how silky smooth a Nokia 610 runs on a single cortex a5 @ 800mhz, 256mb of single channel ram, and a puny adreno 200 gpu...extrapolate that up to dual krait at 1.5ghz, dual channel memory, 1gb ram, and a adreno 225/320 and it's not hard to see the massive performance gains to look forward to.

8. elroy

Regular

9. wishiknew

Regular

Nokia can't even announce it first.

10. french toast

Veteran

Yea a surprising move, that is the first proper high end wp device, it actually carries s slightly bigger battery (2300mah) than the galaxy s3.

Really interested to see what Nokia has been cooking up, they said this was the phone that would show the rest potential.
    Now wp8 has fee sure parity with android, we will see just how well it sells.

11. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

That is a really really cool device. I guess Samsung were hedging their bets against Apple litigation?

12. dragonelite

Veteran

13. wco81

Legend

It's Vita spelled backwards.

Taunt?

14. Helmore

Regular

Sunspider only benchmarks part of what it takes to load internet pages fast, but in case you're curious, Microsoft has said that Windows Phone 8 on their test hardware gets a Sunspider score of roughly 1200 ms. Here's a linky: http://www.favbrowser.com/windows-phone-8-internet-explorer-10-detailed/

15. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

Yeah quite probably. I think Samsung and Sony are rivals in a lot of things and you have that Korea vs Japan thing as well.

16. wco81

Legend

17. joker454

Veteran

I think the sdk isn't out until the 15th...until then have to sit and wait.