Microsoft E3 Conference 2011

I really love all the Assassins Creed games. Brotherhood was easily my favourite. Heck, I even played some multiplayer, which is not something I usually do.
After watching Nintendo conf I think that you should let slip some words at your job about how cool would be a compliant "pad station" for windows mobile devices :D
Something like a pad casing where you insert your phone.

I am very annoyed by the limited freedom offered by modern AAA games already annoys me - they're essentially corridor script QTE galleries and Microsoft designing mostly Kinect on-rails titles only adds insult to injury. I would love if they still created more open ended experiences like they used to in the past.

As a result, the majority of the interesting 360 content was outside the conference. Brilliant XBLA stuff (Trials Evolution, Bastion, ITSP) and some retail games I can't get on PC (Dark Souls) were the highlights of the platform's E3 offering for me.

I believe in an interview before the release of Mass Effect 1, Bioware was asked if they would allow character creation using the Xbox Live vision camera like what Rainbow Six Vegas did but they said they wouldn't allow it since the faces ended up looking too iffy and it really wouldn't fit the quality of the faces of all the other characters.

The Kinect camera can actually detect depth though so maybe if you put your face right up to it, it'll get decent enough detail?

150$ device full of sensor and cameras called kinect is now the perfect choice for voice control.;)

Indeed. MS have extended their commitment to adding new and useful capabilities to the 360 hardware over time to its peripherals now. Nice to see a console maker that adds functionality to their hardware as it ages instead of removing it! :p

I believe in an interview before the release of Mass Effect 1, Bioware was asked if they would allow character creation using the Xbox Live vision camera like what Rainbow Six Vegas did but they said they wouldn't allow it since the faces ended up looking too iffy and it really wouldn't fit the quality of the faces of all the other characters.

The Kinect camera can actually detect depth though so maybe if you put your face right up to it, it'll get decent enough detail?

They'd need to do a lot more work. The kinect fun factory just takes a face shot and puts it on charlie browns head.

I don't think it's all that simple to do a proper implementation and it probably winds up being not worth the effort.

Checked out the MS booth today, it's pretty clear that the 360 is transforming into the 360 Kinect. Aside from that though Forza 4 looked really good, 12 cars in single player and 16 cars in multi player which is nice. Summer of arcade games all looked really nice as well.

Checked out the MS booth today, it's pretty clear that the 360 is transforming into the 360 Kinect. Aside from that though Forza 4 looked really good, 12 cars in single player and 16 cars in multi player which is nice. Summer of arcade games all looked really nice as well.

I'm confused by that, you mean that in split-screen and career it'll have 12 cars but in online races, there is up to 16 cars? Why would they cap the number of cars in career mode then?

I'm confused by that, you mean that in split-screen and career it'll have 12 cars but in online races, there is up to 16 cars? Why would they cap the number of cars in career mode then?

It is the exact same thing in GT5. There are various possible reasons for this, including the full overhead of managing the other cars, physics and AI for more cars versus just getting their positional data.

I tried it twice. The first time it was close. The 2nd time, not so much. However, it was quite accurate on my gf both times.

The thing that really surprised me was that it picked up the prints on our shits and put them on our avatar. Cool and creepy at the same time. Ultimately, I think this is the future of avatars. Not only will be the toon version of you but you can update your avatar whenever you want based on what you're wearing and it'll be represented in the games you play. That's pretty cool.

I moved a light in my room to try to get a better result, but it didn't seem to help. The face looked super-low resolution and smeared. I have pretty much a full beard right now, but it barely picked it up. It looked like it gave me a molester mustache. I wasn't paying attention to the clothes to see if it matched. Maybe I'll give it another shot when I get home.

Indeed. MS have extended their commitment to adding new and useful capabilities to the 360 hardware over time to its peripherals now. Nice to see a console maker that adds functionality to their hardware as it ages instead of removing it! :p
i find it ironic that Kinect's most effective and most evolved feature is the voice command recognition than the motion control. The controller free games havent evolved much from Kinect's launch

Dan kinda confirmed 16 cars online and 16 cars in singleplayer but the game chooses the amount for the event. But if they wanted every race could have 16 singleplayer cars.

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6318146/forza-motorsport-4-demonstration?hd=1

Really looking forward to this game (and Battlefield3), and it looks real good so far :)

Forza3 and Bad Company 2 is my most played games so far this gen and Forza4 & BF3 looks to bring more of the same and improvements all around :)

Going to be a good fall lineup for all xbox360 owners.

i find it ironic that Kinect's most effective and most evolved feature is the voice command recognition than the motion control. The controller free games havent evolved much from Kinect's launch

Well, the E3 demos showed (based on my memory) Dance Central 2 tracking 2 players simultaneously, Kinect Sports 2 doing the same and adding the ability to track motions in a profile stance (golf swings and baseball swings), games being played both while seated and standing (the Fable Journey demo), finger tracking, and object scanning. Add this to what we already know is coming with games like The Gunstringer and Child of Eden and the games announced at TGS and there is definite progress. Whether that is "much" evolution is subjective, though, I guess.

Voice control is nice because it can be dropped into a game that otherwise wouldn't be a good use for Kinect. I'm all for the "Better with Kinect" concept. If the game's use of Kinect is just a gimmick I can just not use it. If it adds something, great.

Well, the E3 demos showed (based on my memory) Dance Central 2 tracking 2 players simultaneously, Kinect Sports 2 doing the same and adding the ability to track motions in a profile stance (golf swings and baseball swings), games being played both while seated and standing (the Fable Journey demo), finger tracking, and object scanning. Add this to what we already know is coming with games like The Gunstringer and Child of Eden and the games announced at TGS and there is definite progress. Whether that is "much" evolution is subjective, though, I guess.

Voice control is nice because it can be dropped into a game that otherwise wouldn't be a good use for Kinect. I'm all for the "Better with Kinect" concept. If the game's use of Kinect is just a gimmick I can just not use it. If it adds something, great.

Kinect Sports already did multi-person tracking which is why I/"we" were bummed that Dance Central did not. Having said that I think the biggest "problem" Kinect has in convincing people like Nesh is that voice is the easiest "visual" thing to accomplish to show "improvement" I mean I'm not sure how far the tracking would need to advance to turn someone like Nesh into a fan. To be honest I don't even know if the tracking really needs to advance much for Nesh, having had the discussion in the KG thread, I think its more about "experiences" which may not necessarily be on the back of better tracking.

There is nothing I have seen so far while playing an actual game that is better with Kinect's ability to track motions. Except dance and party games, probably yeah. Also the stuff you mention are general improvements but have not evolved at all the way we actually play games. It actually introduces its limitations to them
Thats why Star Wars was such a trainwreck, and Ghost Reckon's shooting demonstration demanded large hand movements, introduced latency and didnt feel intuitive at all.
the rest of the games were either on rails or the same old gameplay we were getting during Kinect's launch. Just with a different cover
What kinect has shown is that, when it is the sole method of controlling a game it can only be applied well to a very specific kind of games

There is nothing I have seen so far while playing an actual game that is better with Kinect. Except dance and party games, probably yeah. Also the stuff you mention are improvements but have not evolved at all the way we actually play games
Thats why Star Wars was such a trainwreck, and Ghost Reckon's shooting demonstration demanded large hand movements, introduced latency and didnt feel immersing at all.
the rest of the games were either on rails or the same old gameplay we were getting during Kinect's launch. Just with a different cover

So, I don't disagree with you except with respect to Ghost Recon. As a combat veteran I most certainly used many hand movements and very large motions certainly EVERY time my MP5 would jam and I had to revert to my 9mm which was a not in-frequent experience.

So, I don't disagree with you except with respect to Ghost Recon. As a combat veteran I most certainly used many hand movements and very large motions certainly EVERY time my MP5 would jam and I had to revert to my 9mm which was a not in-frequent experience.
You tried the game at E3? As a combat veteran I believe you d also need fast and accurate aiming as well as responsive trigger that requires only the finger movement. Not opening and closing your hand to shoot. There lies the problem

Back