NPD January 2011

Software (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC)
01. Call of Duty: Black Ops* (360, PS3, WII, NDS, PC) Activision Blizzard
02. Just Dance 2 (WII) Ubisoft
03. Dead Space 2* (360, PS3, PC) Electronic Arts - 452K
04. Little Big Planet 2* (PS3) Sony - 353K
05. Zumba Fitness: Join the Party (WII, 360, PS3) Majesco
06. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PSP, WII, PS2, PC) Take 2 Interactive
07. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood* (360, PS3) Ubisoft
08. Dance Central (360) MTV Games
09. Michael Jackson The Experience* (WII, DS, PSP) Ubisoft
10. DC Universe Online: The Next Legend Is You* (PS3, PC) Sony - 195K

looks like someo f us were right and dcuo has pretty bad numbers

"January’s NPD numbers, reflecting a 25% increase in PS3 software sales, demonstrate continued momentum for the PlayStation ecosystem. As the only system with both stereoscopic 3D and precision motion controlled gaming, PlayStation is delivering a new era of immersive entertainment fueled by the industry’s strongest content lineup. Next week, with the arrival of one of the most anticipated titles of the year, Killzone 3, consumers’ expectations for exhilarating 3D graphics and fast-paced PlayStation Move action will be further elevated in living rooms around the world," said Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA.

ouch

I don't understand this part:

I don't see Kinect Sports in there, are they subtracting the PC sales numbers of DCUO with the "console game title" qualifier? Also where is NBA 2K11 and Ass Creed in that list?

It's referring to single SKU chart (the old style). So while Kinect Sports didn't make it into the combined SKU top 10 it made it into the single SKU top 10.

So at the very least the Top 10 single SKU chart would have COD:BO (x360), Deadspace 2 (x360), Kinect Sports (x360), Dance Central (x360), LBP2 (PS3), Just Dance (Wii) and then 4 other titles.

I'd say a good chance that COD:BO (PS3) is another one. And the other 3 are anyone's guess at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 other Wii titles and another PS3 title, DS2 perhaps.

I doubt NBA 2K11 did better on PS3 than X360 so that's probably out. DC Online split sales 50/50 with PS3/PC so it's unlikely that one made it into the top 10. AC:B probably didn't do better on PS3 either so that probably didn't make it.

Regards,
SB

So at the very least the Top 10 single SKU chart would have COD:BO (x360), Deadspace 2 (x360), Kinect Sports (x360), Dance Central (x360), LBP2 (PS3), Just Dance (Wii) and then 4 other titles.

I'd say a good chance that COD:BO (PS3) is another one. And the other 3 are anyone's guess at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 other Wii titles and another PS3 title, DS2 perhaps.
I think Dead Space 2 PS3 version would have sold in at least comparable numbers to the 360 version given all the extra features it had to be in the top 10. That leaves us with 2 spots, and I honestly don't know where they'd go. I'll wager that Zumba Fitness Wii and MJ Wii would be on there. Or maybe NBA 2K11 sold more on the PS3, it could happen, because it happened with Madden 10.

Then again, seeing that the 2K11 is a bad port on PS3, the other 2 spots are probably on the Nintendo platform.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt NBA 2K11 did better on PS3 than X360 so that's probably out.

It didn't, NPD lists the platforms in order of sales so by this:

06. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PSP, WII, PS2, PC) Take 2 Interactive

We can tell 360 version sold best, PS3 version 2nd best, PSP version third best (surprising) etc.

And wow@still hardly any numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do they even bother? Is anyone following any of these sales figures naive enough to not appreciate that the only legitimate response from Sony or other companies on the back foot is, "yeh, we're doing a little bit crap at the moment, but we are trying to turn that around"? Surely no response is better than a desperate PR sales pitch? I don't get why MS and Sony feel compelled to comment each NPD result even when there's nothing to talk about. Nintendo doesn't, does it?

It didn't, NPD lists the platforms in order of sales so by this:

We can tell 360 version sold best, PS3 version 2nd best, PSP version third best (surprising) etc.

And wow@still hardly any numbers.

I didn't know that, that's cool that they order it by platform.

Why do they even bother?

For internet discussion. :LOL: They want the hardcore to spread the word to family and friends. ;) It all makes sense now. :eek: :p

Though I suppose they just want to say something for investors? They know MS is going to say something good about themselves, and they're seemingly the direct competition. *shrug* Nintendo is in their own world so I can see why they don't have to say anything.

Some info from gaf npd thread

hardware
360:381k
ps3:267k
wii:319k

Under one-fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting another modest month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). Just under three-fifths of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles again outsold PS3 Move console bundles by almost 5:1. We note that the top selling Kinect software titles easily outsold their Move counterparts

Combined next generation home console (PS3, 360, Wii) hardware unit sales were down 10% year-over-year, and
handheld hardware unit sales were down 29%, driving overall hardware unit sales down 17% for the month.
There
were 319,000 Wiis sold (down 31% y-o-y) vs. our 320,000 estimate, 381,000 Xbox 360s sold (up 15% y-o-y) compared to
our 380,000 estimate, and 267,000 PS3s sold (down 3% y-o-y) vs. our 240,000 estimate.

Under one-fifth of PS3 sales included bundles with Sony’s Move controller, suggesting another modest month (we have chosen not to subscribe to peripheral data). Just under three-fifths of Xbox 360 sales included bundles with Microsoft’s Kinect peripheral, as Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles again outsold PS3 Move console bundles by almost 5:1. We note that the top selling Kinect software titles easily outsold their Move counterparts.

I'm surprised kinect sales are hanging on through the holiday. And I wonder when Nintendo will cut the price of the wii.

I'm more interested to when Sony is going to have a price drop. Holding out on buying a PS3 until they do.

I doubt anytime soon if they really shelved their plans for 32nm process shrink. You have a better chance of waiting for deals like $100 off PS3 and $75 off Wii/360 like Amazon/Walmart had in december.

Well they had $50 gift card promotions throughout Jan from different retailers in the US, for the PS3. Keep an eye on www.cheapassgamer.com for deals. According to a quote on gaf, Patcher expects a proper price drop come June.

Activision's Q4 2010 financial statement is going to be eye popping.

Yeah, its eye popping. Eye popping because they lost money in Q4. I don't know how a company with some of the most highly regarded IPs manages to lose profits during the quarter of the release of COD:Money Bags.

Back