NPD January's 2013

AlphaWolf

Specious Misanthrope
Legend
Top 10 software chart (SKUs combined)

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360, PS3, Wii U, PC)
2. Far Cry 3 (360, PS3, PC)
3. Just Dance 4 (Wii, 360, PS3, Wii U)
4. NBA 2K13 (360, PS3, Wii, Wii U, PSP, PC)
5. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV, Wii U)
6. DMC: Devil May Cry (PS3, 360)
7. Halo 4 (360)
8. Assassin's Creed III (360, PS3, Wii U, PC)
9. Skylander Giants (Wii, 360, PS3, 3DS, Wii U)
10. FIFA Soccer 13 (PS3, 360, PSV, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, PSP)

Hardware
Xbox 360 281k
WiiU 57k updated
PS3 + Wii 302k (derived from math)
Vita ~35k

From Gamasutra
Hardware numbers from neogaf

Last edited by a moderator:
Dead in the water either way, without enough interesting software for the foreseeable future. WTH were they thinking? N/m, I know the answer to that.

Should they price cut?
Should they scrap the project and begin anew?
Should they go 3rd party?
Or should they just wait it out?

Microsoft and Sony could prove to be too huge a challenge to overcome

Third parties are not helping, either.

It looks like the Wii U is dead in the water. Nintendo's major problem IMO is that because their Wii sold so well and their software sales were so high on that machine that they have scared off third party developers and at the same time much of their software is no longer new to a lot of people and hence the novelty has worn off.

Last month or so Nintendo had a little under 2 Million sold but 3 Million shipped. It looks like they still have around the excess of 1 million unsold Wii U's in the channel. Considering that historically February and March aren't that much better than January they may have to drop down their quarterly guidance to 3 Million sold with 3 Million shipped.

On the good side, they won't be hit with shipping or manufacturing costs of additional units. :runaway:

Xbox 360: 25 straight months as the #1 console? Did anybody even fathom the idea?

Tommy McClain

dckW2ZP.png

Now that's how you do a burn...

I wonder what Nintendo will do. Do they have a big enough pile of money that they could rush out another console in a couple of years?

I wonder what Nintendo will do. Do they have a big enough pile of money that they could rush out another console in a couple of years?

Last financial report had them burning through it quickly. 5bil is what I recall was still left.

They will likely find success in Japan but US and likely Europe is a writedown at this point.

Time to go back to the drawing board. Moving software and services to the US would go a long way towards being clued in.

Last financial report had them burning through it quickly. 5bil is what I recall was still left.

They will likely find success in Japan but US and likely Europe is a writedown at this point.

Time to go back to the drawing board. Moving software and services to the US would go a long way towards being clued in.

I guess they have to hope that Japan keeps them afloat (seems unlikely) while they get something else in the works for a couple of years out. The thing is, I don't know if they have what it takes to make something that'll capture public interest. Motion gaming was new and exciting (in theory) when the Wii came out. That got them a lot of press from non-gaming media. Not sure how they'll get that attention again.

I guess they have to hope that Japan keeps them afloat (seems unlikely) while they get something else in the works for a couple of years out. The thing is, I don't know if they have what it takes to make something that'll capture public interest. Motion gaming was new and exciting (in theory) when the Wii came out. That got them a lot of press from non-gaming media. Not sure how they'll get that attention again.

That's what I mean by moving software and services development to the US.

If they think the Wii was a repeatable success they'll continue with WiiU like performances for future consoles. The Wii was clearly an anolomy that sizzled out quickly (relative to the competition). That audience isn't coming back for the WiiU, WiiU2 or whatever other shitty name they come up with.

They need to start creating an entertainment hub and go toe to toe. The problem is that the Japanese market is so different, if you simply keep all development and focus by the locals in Japan, they'll simply not know what to develop for the rest of the world because they don't experience it on a daily basis.

Back