The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

Move.me released:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...tation-store-free-for-students-and-educators/

At this year’s Game Developers Conference we unveiled Move.me, a new software application that runs on the PS3 system and gives researchers, students, and programmers access to PlayStation Move’s technology for developing apps beyond traditional gaming — physical therapy, sports rehabilitation, or education. Move.me enables anyone with a PS3 to experiment with PlayStation Move and create new applications using a PC, the PlayStation Move motion controller, the PlayStation Eye camera, and the PS3 system.

Later today, Move.me will be available as a complimentary download for members of Academia including Academic researchers, faculty, staff, and students. Interested participants can apply for the Academia Program here. For all other users, Move.me will be available later today on the PlayStation Store for $99.99.

$99 ! I will save the money for games and movies. No time to do hobby programming yet.

Xbox Releases Avatar Kinect for Interactive Experiences, Kinect Sparkler Coming Later This Week:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/Features/2011/jul11/07-25KinectFunLabs.mspx

Avatar Kinect, available today, lets you – or rather your personalized avatar – interact with or hang out with up to seven other friends in 24 virtual stages ranging from a late-night talk show set to outer space to a sports tailgate party. To make the cyber socializing more real, Kinect’s camera tracks gestures and facial expressions – eyebrow raises, smiles, belly laughs and all.

Kinect Sparkler, available later this week, lets players use their fingers to draw sparkling lines that whirl glowing, gold stars in front of, behind, and around 3-D photographs of themselves.

“Avatar Kinect and Sparkler are fun, creative experiences that allow consumers to get a sneak preview of cutting-edge Kinect technologies today instead of waiting until it’s in full-blown games,” says Eric Lang, general manager for the Microsoft Startup Business Group.

OpenCV already works with PSEye:

Move.me is for Windows. :(
I'm on a Mac. Not sure if Move.me will work in Parallels Windows desktop (or other Windows VM) yet. Posted a note to TTP@GAF to see if Sony can give a clear answer. TTP runs the iWaggle3D.com website.

Yes... it may be a good idea to get TTP to interview Sony on Move.me again now that it's released. Let me post him a note on GAF. He can grill them on the $99 price point. ^_^

EDIT: Sent !

TTP replied. We can download the user guide and network protocol specs from here:
http://code.google.com/p/moveme/downloads/list

I don't fully understand the setup yet. Still waiting for more clarifications. It seems that the user interact with the PSEye, PS3 and Move controller but the app runs on the PC/Mac. But how does the PC/Mac display to the TV screen ?

Ok, I think it works like this:

User interacts with PSEye, Move and PC/Mac. The PSEye is placed below or above the monitor. The PS3 may be out of sight. The developer writes a custom Windows or Mac application to process the Move.me network protocols. The user sees a Windows/Mac UI application. In this sense, Move.me is not a consumer product. You can't do anything after paying $99.

OpenCV is a camera and image processing library. There is another PC driver project for Move + PSEye: http://code.google.com/p/moveonpc/ (It's free !)

1. Bluetooth interface

Communication via Bluetooth is currently possible using MotioninJoy's filter driver and the Windows HID API. Sphere color can be changed, button presses detected and even controlling the rumble is possible. While this setup works fine so far, it has a few downsides: The MiJ driver doesn't allow direct access to the controller. It has to be polled constantly to receive data, and MiJ makes it impossible to directly access the Move's calibration data.

A small demo project for native device support exists in the SVN repository (project nativemove). However, initially setting up the BT connection withouth MiJ is currently very much trial and error. Extremely annoying and not very comfortable to use. This is the actual reason why the Windows implementation still depends on MiJ's filter driver. Once this connection issue is solved there are no more dependencies on MiJ!

On Linux there already is Bluetooth support for the Move (see linmctool at http://pabr.org/).

2. Camera driver

The CL Eye Platform Driver for Windows is freely available at http://codelaboratories.com/.

On Linux the PlayStation Eye is natively supported since kernel version 2.6.29.

Ok, I think it works like this:

User interacts with PSEye, Move and PC/Mac. The PSEye is placed below or above the monitor. The PS3 may be out of sight. The developer writes a custom Windows or Mac application to process the Move.me network protocols. The user sees a Windows/Mac UI application. In this sense, Move.me is not a consumer product. You can't do anything after paying $99.

Yeah, it's still using the PS3 as a server to process the image and generate the location, inputs, etc. You then use the output/hooks Move.me provides to control a PC application. I think they just didn't want to rewrite their SPE optimized Move libraries for the PC.

It's worth noting Move.me is free for students and teachers.

Anybody have the Kinect Labs app crash on you & require a reboot? Started doing it after the applied the title update for the Avatar Kinect. I was suppose to get an email back from a tech lead asking for more info, but he never got back with me. Maybe they fixed it after I left town & just need to rerun the update when I get back?

Tommy McClain

Yeah, it's still using the PS3 as a server to process the image and generate the location, inputs, etc. You then use the output/hooks Move.me provides to control a PC application. I think they just didn't want to rewrite their SPE optimized Move libraries for the PC.

It's worth noting Move.me is free for students and teachers.

Yeah, the PS3 + Move becomes a networked controller basically that you can then get input from over the network on any device, both from the Move controller and from the camera. There are some advantages to that, in that you have absolutely no overhead on your PC. There are very good Visual Studio example projects to be downloaded - I downloaded them a while ago already. You get the original sword example for instance, and one where you can see all the various data you are receiving. It is very easy to work with, and it will work exactly like on PS3 irregardless of your PCs hardware, OS, etc. You don't need to install any drivers, just take input from a network connection. And it should be very easy to turn this into a driver of some sort or support it in, say, Blender, GIMP or whatever art package, as a 3D mouse driver, and so on. Or make your own Fruit Ninja. ;)

But obviously the downside is that you won't be able to get a move bundle from the store and hook it up to your PC. Maybe that will still happen at some point.

By the way, I am following the hype for Kinect Fruit Ninja with interest. If it is a success, then Sony should take a long hard look at why they couldn't get more out of Start the Party, which I think is perfect in the basic sense of that game - just look at the precision and speed, and how the fruit bounces off the side and top of the blade ... :

I am of the opinion that Sony should integrate all the simple music games with its Music Unlimited subscription. Games like Beat Sketcher, Everyday Shooter, SingStar, Sound Shapes, Dance whatever and all other rhythm games are compatible with the service. Even the fruit cutting game can be rhythmic. Otherwise, it's going to be very difficult to stand out from the plethora of music subscription services.

I have not. I plugged in the PSEye and it had terrible echo, but it appears it's a hidden feature that Sony didn't bother to tell people about! Are we supposed to read the manual cover to cover every three months just to see if there are any new features? :p

I'll have to give it a go. Will be interesting how the much smaller array compares with Kinect.

Tested the setup last night quickly. As expected, the PS3 would emit a continuous tone to calibrate the echo canceller. Unfortunately, My setup doesn't have much echo to begin with even after I turned up the HiFi volume to very loud without bothering my colleagues too much. ^_^

I will try at home.

Tested the setup last night quickly. As expected, the PS3 would emit a continuous tone to calibrate the echo canceller. Unfortunately, My setup doesn't have much echo to begin with even after I turned up the HiFi volume to very loud without bothering my colleagues too much. ^_^

I will try at home.
A single tone? Interesting, I wouldn't think it would have enough frequencies to build a proper room response filter.

Back