[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The move implimentation is awesome definately my favourite way to play now. Took about an hour or so to get used to but now im doing far better online than i am with dualshock, i was expecting u much steeper learning curve than that. For me i dont want to play a fps with dual sticks again to be honest im a convert!

I saw quite a few people on GAF praising the Move integration, will have to try myself.

The reviews are pretty mixed so far (Yeah, on the high end… still mixed opinions though)

I like the operations mode, playing as a medic. Got 5000+ points in one match and almost leveled up 3 times :) Though people should learn to look for new routes and not just charge up the same stairway over and over again.

I can't believe there was talk of this becoming a COD clone. Definitely still feels like Killzone, but some old flaws still remain. In particular the ability teammates have to block doorways :(

Regardless of what the increase is, my original question still stands.

For example, during a Halo Reach ViDoc, they mentioned having 4x the polys to play with for the character models, but this was for the high res mesh, not what was displayed in game.

I thought MLAA handled things like fences poorly regardless, it was one of the weaknesses of the technique. No?

Well now I have understood what was the problem. When you don't move the character, the camera view, probably to try to 'simulate' the point of view, shake a little bit, but it's just in this moment with that subtle effect where the mlaa it's break... but it's a typical fault of MLAA not wok in this condition,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
First time I tried an FPS with the move controller as well. Got used to it surpisingly fast. Liking it a lot so far, though at times I am on the verge of vertigo and there is a delicacy to moving around vs using the - almost linear in comparison - analog sticks.

I think I'll enjoy playing the single player campaign with the Move. Melee definitely feels more natural this way and easier to remember how to do. Aiming is as nice as you would expect, pretty much. So far I'm still ok with the DS3 in my left hand, but I can see a navcon could be nice here.

seems like most reviews say the story is horrible, one thing that I probably will agree with series is that most of the protagonist are very forgettable. They do a very good job is designing the helgast characters but not so much for ISA.

I can't believe there was talk of this becoming a COD clone. Definitely still feels like Killzone, but some old flaws still remain. In particular the ability teammates have to block doorways :(
Yeah, I hate it when my doorway is blocked. :LOL: I'm going to try the NavCon soon.

4 times better? Really? Come on guys...

If all these things are true, boy Guerrilla really did a shitty job with Killzone 2...

Besides, 3x the polygons and 4X the textures would show a huge immediate, near generational difference, and while KZ3 probably looks better than KZ2, it's nothing that just screams at you.

It looks like KZ3 bullshots vs KZ2 real shots, but dont worry about it.
...is where that came from.

Ultragpu was simply demonstrating GG's claim that the textures are 4x better and the level geometry is 3x higher.

EDIT: grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
Well 4x texture size means a texture data file 4x the size thus requires 4xVRAM thus "4x more effective memory system due to streaming" still fits with what I said.

Not necessarily, it could be due to the inefficient handling of the texture budget or memory during kz2 development, so a 4x increase would also mean using the exact same available hardware memory but vastly more optimized in the streaming system.

Here is a quick excerpt from the Destructiod review.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-killzone-3-192726.phtml
Those words sound nice but it's nothing but a facade, as there are other reviews which aren't nearly as generous.

I never played Killzone 1-2 or 3, but I've watched quite a few videos. All I can say is the whole franchise has less charisma than my chair.

Mostly story and characters, foes and heroes.

At least to me -coupled with the art style that doesn't appeal to me-. Some reviews have been kind of poor -i.e. Eurogamer-, for a game expected to be an AAA. The game should evolve into something totally different, IMHO.

I think the 2005 trailer did a huge favour to an otherwise average game.

I have liked the impressions about the gameplay using Move, though.

Hey, has anyone played the demo? Is it worth downloading?

:cool:

Yup, go download it. Played 2-3 rounds of botzone. Servers not up yet.

Don't know what people are complaining. The controls are different; more responsive and lighter. Map is complex (a little too complicated for my taste). I like the running pace, and the flexibility (You can jump up, down and across various obstacles relatively easily). If you're persuing an enemy, you may lose him after a few turns. ^_^ (I lost a bot and then got flanked by him :oops:). The bobbing is a little too much, and the movement is a little exaggerated. It takes a wee bit finesse to aim properly.

Engineer has the most powerful weapon (LMG)

Infiltrator is harder to recognize but I just shoot _everyone_ :LOL: (he carries a shotgun, I think)

Tactician carries a SMG that I think has been toned down from KZ2 ?

Marksman uses the double shot StA14. I don't have enough talent to wield it. Love to stick beside people/bot who can fight with one though (Always… ALWAYS… a pleasure to watch a fellow StA14 soldier pick people off. So efficient and clean !).

I haven't tried all the advanced capabilities yet. Fought an airbot and an engineer's sentry gun. Both didn't seem particularly hard to take down. Airbot is tougher I think, unless someone else has already damaged the sentry gun I took out.

EDIT: Got into MP but it's full !

Will try Move later. They are all at home.

Yup, go download it. Played 2-3 rounds of bot. Server not up yet.

Don't know what people are complaining. The controls are more different; more responsive and lighter. Map is complex (a little too complicated for my taste). I like the running pace, and the flexibility (You can jump up, down and across various obstacles relatively easily). If you're persuing an enemy, you may lose him after a few turns. ^_^ (I lost a bot and then got flanked by him :oops:). The bobbing is a little too much, and the movement is a little exaggerated. It takes a wee bit finesse to aim properly.

Engineer has the most powerful weapon (LMG)

Infiltrator is harder to recognize but I just shoot _everyone_ :LOL: (he carries an shotgun, I think)

Tactician carries a SMG that I think has been toned down from KZ2 ?

Marksman uses the double shot StA14. I don't have enough talent to wield it. Love to stick beside people who can fight with one though (Always… ALWAYS… a pleasure to watch a fellow StA14 soldier pick people off. So efficient and clean !).

I haven't tried all the advanced capabilities yet. Fought an airbot and an engineer's sentry gun. Both didn't seem particularly hard to take down. Airbot is tougher I think, unless someone else has already damaged the sentry gun I took out.

EDIT: Got into MP but it's full !
Judging by your impressions multiplayer mode seems ok. I wonder if it's the best part of the game. I can't tell by experience as I never played a single player campaign of the whole franchise but again, I don't see the appeal of the story, setting, characters for now.

I'm hoping someday I'll have something to write about and Killzooone-ify. 8)

Kudos to you!

In particular the ability teammates have to block doorways :(

Ha hah ! I got Rico'ed by a bot comrade too. I shall remember not to block the traffic.

EDIT: I think field of vision is still a little narrow. Nice music though.

Hopefully, GAF will settle down and organize some clan activities when the game is out.

EDIT 2: One other bad thing is the death scream/moan… it gets irritating after a while. Bearable but unnecessarily long.

Judging by your impressions multiplayer mode seems ok. I wonder if it's the best part of the game. I can't tell by experience as I never played a single player campaign of the whole franchise but again, I don't see the appeal of the story, setting, characters for now.

I'm hoping someday I'll have something to write about and Killzooone-ify. 8)

Kudos to you!

KZ2 had one of the most relentless FPS campiagns of this gen. For about 4-5 hours, it raw WAR :D ! Its only after then that you get a breather. Personally, I rate it really really high. I loved it, absolutely ! :p

Well 4x texture size means a texture data file 4x the size thus requires 4xVRAM thus "4x more effective memory system due to streaming" still fits with what I said.

You can have better textures for same amount of VRAM with better streaming.

I must say that the MP demo looks pretty but it didnt impress me as much as I hoped or as much as the other maps I have seen in videos.

The particular map "suffers" from the same environment stracture that I didnt like in K2. Basically the environment is consisted mostly by blocks of rooms usually in parallel in the particular map.

The snowy area also doesnt leave much room for color variety and lighting

The motion controller worked pretty well for me. But the settings werent optimal. I was having a few difficulties trying to balance turning with aiming. In addition I had to keep my hand placed on my lap otherwise it would have been tiring. That ment that I had to calibrate the controller at a low position. But overall the move makes it a ton more fun and the more I got used to it the better it felt next to the DS2.

Does anyone have a recomendation on the Move settings to improve navigation and aiming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back