[PS3] Killzone 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good blast against 16 bots. This map in particular is really frantic! Framerate holds up really well. Dips now and again but i never felt it hampered in anyway whatsoever. Considering whats going on on screen, this is most impressive! Lord only knows what delights await in the SP campaing.

This always happens in PS3 threads. Somebody uses massive hyperbole and when somebody brings a more grounded opinion it's labelled as "nitpicking/trolling" :rolleyes:

To be fair, the responses can be wrong too. It works both ways.

Becouse a 4x increase in texture detail aint as obvious as 4x draw distance or 4x enemy count or 4xvehicle count. Also it depends on how textures are used. A 1024x1024 texture might still look bad if stretched out over a large geometry surface vs small geometry surface.

I doubt also they are 2048x2048 textures except for terrain, sky and perhaps satellite texture data. Their size per texture is quite step especially with normal mapping and using DX5TC. Create a good reference by creating your own textures in various sizes and pplying them onto geometry.

I'm seeing "4x better textures" in the article. Barring translation error by the audience and Google, it could also mean GG has 4x more effective texture memory to play with due to the streaming system. Most of the textures probably need to be higher res since they threw away my :love: soft look.

Draw distance claim is 3x.

It's 3x the polys of KZ2...not 4x. KZ3 is, supposedly, a 4x texture increase over KZ2.

Regardless of what the increase is, my original question still stands.

For example, during a Halo Reach ViDoc, they mentioned having 4x the polys to play with for the character models, but this was for the high res mesh, not what was displayed in game.

I have just tried the beta and ... the mlaa it's pretty bad here :???: Seems simple 2xmsaa (if comparable), I have noticed even aliasing & not talking of the shimmering.. wtf guerrilla hasn't optimize better the fine object like the fences? Not need great tech, just use smart solution, how increase the object with more raw lines in the long distance with pop in & so on...

I thought MLAA handled things like fences poorly regardless, it was one of the weaknesses of the technique. No?

Regardless of what the increase is, my original question still stands.

For example, during a Halo Reach ViDoc, they mentioned having 4x the polys to play with for the character models, but this was for the high res mesh, not what was displayed in game.

Different developer and game here. The question is fair but we have no way to know. The article only says:
"It also generates three times the polygons of its predecessor"

We know they definitely need to work harder (a lot harder) for co-op on a denser and larger high elevation map. That should be the worst case scenario I think, not sure unless people here can interview/interrogate the devs themselves. :)

True, but when you put a game on such a high pedestal, the only way it can go from there is downwards :p

What high pedestal ? It is certainly possible to go higher than KZ2.
Technologies, skills and knowledge usually improve over time.

People have to understand that one can appreciate one game without downplaying the other.
The Crysis2 thread has already gone to the dogs, there's nothing worth visiting there anymore, Please, let this thread be. if you guys want to compare engines, please make a new thread for it.

We can all see KZ3 has more on screen than KZ2. Now lets just see how the open Beta plays out. We want to discuss that not whether the polygon increase is "exactly" 2X or 3X. Please take it to the tech forums if you can't give it up.

I'm happy enough once they removed the micro-loadings ! For the advanced classes, I think I will play as Medic. Used to prefer Saboteur/Infiltrator but my cover usually gets blown too quickly (Once someone sees you shooting in the wrong direction).

Different developer here. The question is fair but we have no way to know. The article only says:
"It also generates three times the polygons of its predecessor"

We know they definitely need to work harder (a lot harder) for co-op on a denser and larger high elevation map.

I understand that it's a different developer, I only mentioned Bungie as an example since it didn't seem like my original question was understood.

I guess my point is the debate at least about the poly count can be pointless if they are just talking about source material. FWIR, some original poly counts for KZ2 turned out to be source material counts and not real time counts

Looks gorgeous regardless, loved KZ2 and I'm eager to finish that so I can play through KZ3.

Gamespot has a video review up !

WARNING: SPOILERS in the video behind him ! :eek: Infact spoilers everywhere :runaway: !!
EDIT2: Just don't watch it, the a$$hole shows all the setpieces of the game :mad: ! Are these reviewers dumbasses? They are supposed to review a game, not show everything away ! How is anyone going to enjoy it when the review he watched to decide the purchase has already spoiled the whole game :mad:!

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that it's a different developer, I only mentioned Bungie as an example since it didn't seem like my original question was understood.

I guess my point is the debate at least about the poly count can be pointless if they are just talking about source material. FWIR, some original poly counts for KZ2 turned out to be source material counts and not real time counts

I can see that happening. It would be a measurement of the assets created, and the number is probably easy to get.

They talked about in-game polygon crunching in culling. Also another easy number to obtain.

EDIT:
:LOL:

You might want to bold this part and put it in front of the video:

Just don't watch it, the a$$hole shows all the setpieces of the game :mad: ! Are these reviewers dumbasses? They are supposed to review a game, not show everything away ! How is anyone going to enjoy it when the review he watched to decide the purchase has already spoiled the whole game :mad:!

Both the Gamespot and the Eurogamer review make me one sad Panda: so apparently the game lost its gameplay identity and gained a pathetic story in return. Fantastic.

I am staying away from media… but did they say/leak anything about Rico getting hurt or dying ?

Already knew KZ3 gameplay will change in the Alpha. It has to change (to address the balancing).

Both the Gamespot and the Eurogamer review make me one sad Panda: so apparently the game lost its gameplay identity and gained a pathetic story in return. Fantastic.
That's not what I heard from the Gamespot video review. They, basically, said they didn't like the story, but they loved the gameplay. They, also, wished for online story co-op.

You highlighted 2 reviews but neglect the many 9+ scores?! Gametrailers awared 9.4 for example. 0.1 higher than UC2. I'm not reading reviews, merely looking at the scores and so far, its scoring very well indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back