The technology of Alan Wake *spawn

On topic>

Listen Eurogamer/Digital Foundry respects MazingerDude/Quaz51 who found out the native rez of sc conviction,ff13 x360,gta4 ps3 and now AW.
If Quaz51 has said that the game is 540p then take that as a gospel truth. You can do the same if MazingerDude tells you so as well

as for al,quaz51 -- correct me if i am wrong , but could the game look blurry on an HD tv since the native rez is 547p, meaning that it would be stretched 2x on a 720p screen?

Last edited by a moderator:
If Quaz51 has said that the game is 540p then take that as a gospel truth. You can do the same if MazingerDude tells you so as well
They know what they are doing, for sure, and we all respect their Awesome Powers. However, you shouldn't really take any research findings anyone presents as 'gospel truth' based on their reputation alone. Mistakes are made by everyone. I heartily encourage intelligent questioning of any asserted fact, followed with either respectful investigation when a mistake is found, or polite acceptance when the evidence and reasoning is concrete proof (or we get official confirmation from those even closer to the debate in question). That is infinitely preferable to blind acceptance, and I'll be surprised if Quaz and MazingerDude aren't similarly minded.

Now you guys know why I always call cloth simulation a complicated issue :)

All this jacket can do is move relatively well, but the density of the simulation mesh is nowhere near the amount that's required to create folds and wrinkles. I'd say about 20-40x as much geometry is needed, and I'm almost entirely sure that the processing power requirements are not linearly scaling (because folds also need self collision usually).

Nevertheless, it looks very nice and impressive.

I am interested to see how the graphics of this game will be received by us (gamers)!
Up to now, it seems to be common (at the moment) that the chosen "graphic kings" are usually 720p games (except, MW, which has some supporter as well).

If Alan Wake's graphics turn out to be outstanding, and a lot of people agree and the game gets even awards for its graphics- this could maybe change the graphics of the next games we will get!
AW could be a creative precedent...and maybe more and more devs are going to sacrifice resolution to include some extra bling!

The thing is if something works for one game doesn't necessarily means it'll work for another just as fine.
A blurry look will certainly help AW's look due to its dreamy look & hazy atmosphere, won't work out well with many other games especially vibrant games.

Well, it was interesting they talked about the game on this week's Weekend Confirmed podcast (basically the spiritual successor to the old 1up podcasts with Garnett Lee) and they seemed to really love the game, but anyway they said a few things about how it looked "amazing" and such, but they never said anything about the 540P. I got the impression they very well probably dont even know.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to go down, the "average" person wont even know.

Well, it was interesting they talked about the game on this week's Weekend Confirmed podcast (basically the spiritual successor to the old 1up podcasts with Garnett Lee) and they seemed to really love the game, but anyway they said a few things about how it looked "amazing" and such, but they never said anything about the 540P. I got the impression they very well probably dont even know.

I'm pretty sure that's how it's going to go down, the "average" person wont even know.

All the 22min footage got was praise from it looks.
Untill 20 pages further in some threads on different forum the pixel count result came in, and the rest is history.;)

The game is 540p no doubt. The latest batch of screens for GR do confirm that too.Hows the game is gonna look like on a 720p tv? that is something the tech gurus/mods of B3D would be able to tell us

I am interested to see how the graphics of this game will be received by us (gamers)!
Up to now, it seems to be common (at the moment) that the chosen "graphic kings" are usually 720p games (except, MW, which has some supporter as well).

If Alan Wake's graphics turn out to be outstanding, and a lot of people agree and the game gets even awards for its graphics- this could maybe change the graphics of the next games we will get!
AW could be a creative precedent...and maybe more and more devs are going to sacrifice resolution to include some extra bling!

It's not unprecedented at all for sub HD games to receive praise and visual awards. They've done that in the past. 720p games compete just fine. I wouldn't encourage someone to aspire to low resolutions because that's moving the goalposts even further from what these systems were suppose to be delivering, but these sub HD games aren't even offering extra bling. They're just managing to look comparable.

The game is 540p no doubt. The latest batch of screens for GR do confirm that too.Hows the game is gonna look like on a 720p tv? that is something the tech gurus/mods of B3D would be able to tell us

Who has a 720P TV? 99% of HDTV's are 1080P.

All the 22min footage got was praise from it looks.
Untill 20 pages further in some threads on different forum the pixel count result came in, and the rest is history.;)

History...on forums...I doubt most reviewers let alone laypeople will care much. Or even understand. A layperson probably can only vaguely comprehend resolution concepts anyway. What do you think would really go through the mind of a non technology minded person if you tried to explain 540P to them? I dont think they could really comprehend it. It's simpler to maybe draw a line between HD and SD, though many people probably even struggle with that. But then to try to explain "this is kind of HD, but not as good" or something like that..joe six pack will not care, he will just look at the screen and think it looks normal.

I would expect for example, that most reviews will only touch on the 540P issue at best if at all, in passing, spend another paragraph or two detailing how the game looks great due to x y and z, and move on.

hmmm not correct today and certainly not true 3 years ago.
I wish it was true though, I just done a quicke search in the states at a couple of websites to see if it was somehow different to here in nz, and its the same story, still a lot of 720p sets out there
I had a quick look at amazon.com (true they dont sell many tv's but theyre the only ones I know off with a sales ranking) num 1+2 on the best selling list are 720p tvs

Supporting stats? I just bought a latest model Sammy Series 4 32" 720p TV, so it's not like 720p is even obsolete now (1080p 32" sets have only been on the UK market for about a year I think), and even if most TVs sold now are 1080p, the majority of install base is likely 720p. Unless you can prove otherwise. ;)

Er... a lot of people who got their TVs at the beginning of this console generation? Most small to mid sized LCD TVs were 1360*768 or so, a lot of plasmas as well; not to mention the early plasma TVs with resolutions like 840*480 or 576.

Just because it's easy to buy a 1080p TV nowadays and sales are rising, it doesn't mean that everyone has the newest model at home.

I wouldn't encourage someone to aspire to low resolutions because that's moving the goalposts even further from what these systems were suppose to be delivering, but these sub HD games aren't even offering extra bling. They're just managing to look comparable.

Most games go sub HD because of performance problems IMHO; it is an easy solution that apparently less than 10% of the userbase will ever notice.

The only case so far where I can justify the decision is COD4; it is a good compromise to trade off 720p for 60fps and fast controller feedback.
I can also see Bungie's reasons, but as Reach has proven, it is possible to get a higher resolution and good HDR at the same time. They just needed more time to find a way.

Now Alan Wake seems to be the next game that can offer something for the loss in resolution, but I'd still prefer to see it on a TV with my own eyes. It certainly looks promising but the loss of detail is quite significant on paper (almost half the pixels are gone).

Personally, I'd still prefer 720p and a cleaner, sharper image; and there are many games out there on both platforms that manage to do that and look impressive at the same time.
Whether 720p + AA on 1080p sets will be a good idea on the next console generation or not is another question though... Maybe 720p really is enough, or maybe we'll see 960*1080 instead. Then there's the 3D revolution spinning up...

Supporting stats? I just bought a latest model Sammy Series 4 32" 720p TV, so it's not like 720p is even obsolete now (1080p 32" sets have only been on the UK market for about a year I think), and even if most TVs sold now are 1080p, the majority of install base is likely 720p. Unless you can prove otherwise. ;)

Majority of install base 720P??? No way. 720p was only normal when HDTV market penetration was just beginning (and even then 1080P quickly battled it), which necessarily means it's a small share . You can hardly buy a TV above 32-37" today that's not 1080P. In fact even those would be discontinued models.

But I googled and couldn't really find any statistics. OK, 99% is obviously a little on the high side :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back