NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

Sorry what? (besides this being the GF100 topic) the 5850 is generally slower than the 470 and the 6870 is generally faster than the 470. and occasionally outperforms the 5870.

Not true ;)

Try to actually play games with this cards, for a change.

Consider this a friendly reminder to keep the trolling and personal attacks off this site. The next action won't be so friendly. Please stick to the technical details of the discussions.

I have no idea what the reviewers or NV will do, but it is safe to assume there won't be reviews with retail cards, pretty much like the 480 launch.

Is it a paper launch or a hard launch? If it matches up with the conspiracy theory then it could be a hard launch with high initial availability. If it is a respin then it is more likely to be a paper launch like the 480. My suspicion is it will be the former and Nvidia are just renaming GF100 to GF110 without actually making any changes. It would also explain low availability of the 480 if it is the same chip. I just don't trust Nvidia to do anything right atm, and this would be an exceptionally eay way out and cutting their losses with GF100 while putting all their effort into the next gen at 28nm.

If it would be the same chip chances are high that availability would be a lot better at launch than it is rumored to be.

Ask someone in the know when GTX5x0 was originally projected for launch.

27655156.jpg

97756698.jpg

261131044817.jpg

If they had told me two weeks ago, that the GTX 580 would arrive to reviewers sooner than the Cayman cards, I would have looked at them like they were the most crazy person in the world!

Still, arriving to the reviewers and arriving to store shelves at the same time, are two completely different things. It is nice of Nvidia to keep people informed though. I mean if the GTX 580 is any good, I'd rather know it and wait, rather than not knowing a thing and go for the wrong card. I am not saying that the Cayman cards will be the wrong cards here.

If they had told me two weeks ago, that the GTX 580 would arrive to reviewers sooner than the Cayman cards, I would have looked at them like they were the most crazy person in the world!

Still, arriving to the reviewers and arriving to store shelves at the same time, are two completely different things. It is nice of Nvidia to keep people informed though. I mean if the GTX 580 is any good, I'd rather know it and wait, rather than not knowing a thing and go for the wrong card. I am not saying that the Cayman cards will be the wrong cards here.

And that's what a spoiler announcement is all about. It's exactly the same thing Nvidia did last year with Fermi, and look how that all worked out.

The asus GTX580 is at more than twice the msrp of GTX470?? ...reading around forums....i am very certain GTX580 specs is whats rumored...and its 7 days away....a real M.Night twist at the end..nvidia came from no where and beat amd to launch their "next gen" parts....

"next gen" is like a misnomer...wrt how both nvidia and amd just renamed their current arch...though new Cayman rumors put it closer to a real next gen part... i hope 6950 replaces 5850 @ $299.....

The asus GTX580 is at more than twice the msrp of GTX470?? ...reading around forums....i am very certain GTX580 specs is whats rumored...and its 7 days away....a real M.Night twist at the end..nvidia came from no where and beat amd to launch their "next gen" parts....

"next gen" is like a misnomer...wrt how both nvidia and amd just renamed their current arch...though new Cayman rumors put it closer to a real next gen part... i hope 6950 replaces 5850 @ $299.....

Yes I've heard the 600$ rumors. I think they are unsubstantiated.

After the failure of GF100 and the success of the GF104, Nvidia should see something in all that, shouldn't they? After all, they are not selling something entirely new. They just fixed what they had screwed before. "Fixed" being the keyword here, since we don't know what kind of fix, is there (apart from a now full specced GF100 erm sorry GF110).

Moreover, I think it is reasonable, one should expect better yields after all this time and if I am not mistaken, a second TSMC factory is now online! The rest of the stuff, memory PCB and such, are basically the same, so why would they charge 100$ more than the current 480 price, since the 580 will essentially be what the 480 should have been from the start?

So worst case scenario, is that they should replace the current GTX 480s with the 580s and drop the price of the 480. Cayman is right around the corner. Imagine how foolish they will look if they repeat the GTX 2XX era price cuts, right after their launch.

How's that saying going? Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

I don't speak—let alone read—Chinese, but does that table chart say that this is the MSRP? Or just a pre-order price or something like that?

Didn't they do just that with the 8800gt right around this time of year?

I guess Nvidia and their investors decided they would like to actually make money on some of the hardware in the gaming space due to having to dump prices on all their other gaming cards.

For those curious, those prices translate to ~513€ for GTX580, and if you scroll down, you'll notice it's more expensive than HD5970, too

So why would Nvidia move to the next "generation" of model numbers when they have only just barely released the 4xx series? Wouldn't it make much more sense to go with something like 490, especially given the rumors it's just a GF100b? Does this mean they're planning on renaming the entire 4xx line as well?

Back