PS3 Slim Hardware Confirmed

Nah I like the clicky buttons. I have a Sansung with the touch button you can't really tell if you pressed the button and it didn't work you didn't press hard enough or what. It's really annoying.

Ever considered that maybe your Samsung has a poor implementation of the soft touch buttons? They work pretty well on my sister's HP laptop.

Quite possibly but the tactile click gives you feedback to at least know you are pushing the button properly.

Worst thing about the Slim, in terms of aesthetics, is the replacement of the capacitive buttons with physical buttons, which greatly break up the seamlessness of the design. Other than that, I can't really complain much about its looks and practicality.

But I fear that with the "Other OS" option having been removed, the folding@home client may be next on the chopping block. Which would be bad since the Slim is the best PS3 yet for folding in terms of price and power consumption.

My guess is it's 33% lower than the 80GB model (despite the fact that Sony said off of "the original"), making it around 60 - 80w
That doesn't make sense to me. Let's say 100W for the 80 Gb (between 90 and 120 W), dual 65nm. If that's roughly shared 50/50 with Cell, that's 50 watts a piece. Now dropping the power to 66W, the RSX is the same so still draws 50W, meaning Cell must now draw 16W, down from 50. That'd be a reduction of 66% power from a single process shrink!

But then 33% off the 80GB is the only plausible explanation, because we're already greater than that in savings from the original. I suppose the other components and engineering have had a significant overhaul somehow. RAM could be shrunk. The fan...doesn't draw much at the best of times. Um...HDD and BRD are pretty fixed in consumption. In fact factoring in them with the above, which I foolish didn't do, the savings from the Cell shrink become far less important!

We always talk about the process shrinks saving energy, but there must be alot more going here than Cell's reduction.

I figure that's by design since they don't want another device right on top belching out heat right on the PS3.
Or even they want the PS3 on top for everyone to see! This new design actually facilitates that. TBH I don't know why people want this console to be stackable when none of the others have been. Save XB. Who here stacked their PS2/Wii/GC/SNES/Megadrive/NeoGeo etc.?! ;)

Or even they want the PS3 on top for everyone to see! This new design actually facilitates that. TBH I don't know why people want this console to be stackable when none of the others have been. Save XB. Who here stacked their PS2/Wii/GC/SNES/Megadrive/NeoGeo etc.?! ;)

People want to attack whatever weakness the consoles have. The PS2 "slim" was attacked because it was a toploader. A good thing about these consoles always being on top, they are easier to move around :)

That doesn't make sense to me. Let's say 100W for the 80 Gb (between 90 and 120 W), dual 65nm. If that's roughly shared 50/50 with Cell, that's 50 watts a piece. Now dropping the power to 66W, the RSX is the same so still draws 50W, meaning Cell must now draw 16W, down from 50. That'd be a reduction of 66% power from a single process shrink!

But then 33% off the 80GB is the only plausible explanation, because we're already greater than that in savings from the original. I suppose the other components and engineering have had a significant overhaul somehow. RAM could be shrunk. The fan...doesn't draw much at the best of times. Um...HDD and BRD are pretty fixed in consumption. In fact factoring in them with the above, which I foolish didn't do, the savings from the Cell shrink become far less important!

We always talk about the process shrinks saving energy, but there must be alot more going here than Cell's reduction.

No, I think if you take the peak power consumption with everything burning at max for the original PS3 at 210W, then 33% off that is 140W, which is what I believe the latest 80GB version will be using with everything burning on max (e.g. full fan speed, all 8 Cell cores near max load, RSX at max load, BluRay spinning, harddrive seeking, etc.). The 45nm process isn't going to save a lot of power anymore - this was discussed elsewhere, maybe 22% reduction.

The Slim should be an improvement overall. The powersource should be more efficient, the cooling system should be more efficient, the drives should be more efficient, etc. You start adding up the savings everywhere to get the final number. Maybe one chip has the biggest impact, but that has a domino effect allowing you to save elsewhere. And who knows what's changed about the I/O hardware, the radios... We know the HDMI transmitter is different.

The Slim should be an improvement overall. The powersource should be more efficient, the cooling system should be more efficient, the drives should be more efficient, etc. You start adding up the savings everywhere to get the final number. Maybe one chip has the biggest impact, but that has a domino effect allowing you to save elsewhere. And who knows what's changed about the I/O hardware, the radios... We know the HDMI transmitter is different.

Everything probably isn't more efficient, you have to remember that this model is a cost cut version. The point of it is to be cheap to make, not energy efficient in all places. The lower power consumption of the 45nm Cell chip is just a by-product from making it smaller and cheaper. Other components don't follow similar path.

Nah I like the clicky buttons. I have a Sansung with the touch button you can't really tell if you pressed the button and it didn't work you didn't press hard enough or what. It's really annoying.

uhh... You just touch the button and when something happens then you can move your finger. don't see what's so hard about that.

uhh... You just touch the button and when something happens then you can move your finger. don't see what's so hard about that.

I just stroke the button and the PS3 beeps straight away. Sad to see that go...it was something I'd show off. "Look..." *strokes ps3* "And it's on!" :LOL:

I just stroke the button and the PS3 beeps straight away. Sad to see that go...it was something I'd show off. "Look..." *strokes ps3* "And it's on!" :LOL:

It's cool, but also very retro. ;) Even cooler is shoving a disc in there when it's still off. ;)

Everything probably isn't more efficient, you have to remember that this model is a cost cut version. The point of it is to be cheap to make, not energy efficient in all places. The lower power consumption of the 45nm Cell chip is just a by-product from making it smaller and cheaper. Other components don't follow similar path.

I think there is a sense that the PS3 Slim is the agent of serious cost-cutting; rather, I think it should be viewed as the form-factor allowed by the natural cost-cutting chain of events.

When the chips are shrunk, the heat output is reduced and their energy requirements diminish. When the heat output is reduced, you can scale down your cooling solution. When the energy requirements are diminished, you can scale down on your power supply. Both components are made cheaper and lighter at the same time due to this knock-on effect.

The Slim is the re-packaging of the entire system in a form factor that maximizes the reductions afforded in chips, motherboard, PSU, cooling, and of course the BD drive, which itself is probably appreciably cooler, lighter, more power-efficient as the years have gone by.

Each hardware iteration carried some of these cascading component reductions forward, but like the Cell die shrinks themselves have wasted die space due to the analog components, so to was their some space for improvement due to the form factor allowance vs retooling/launching costs. Now they've simply realized the extent of what is possible at this moment in time for them component-wise, as well as made further ancillary cost-cutting measures as simple as plastics used, standard buttons vs capacitive, etc... so back to top 'efficiency' in terms of the system layout relative to its componentry.

Totally agree with this. The "sensing" button was just annoying on my ps3. It's like you had to hover your finger and wait for it to register, and you kind of always wanted to push it. Maybe if it registered instantly it would have seemed cool.

Let's assume 40/40 for cell/rsx and 20W for rest of the stuff inside box. Based on engadget 45nm cell consumes 40% less energy than 65nm one. This would mean cell consumes 26W now. putting ps3 slim to 86W. Assuming they could optimize rsx a bit more on the old 65nm node, tinkering here and there, better power supply, maybe the toshibas cell companion chip has been removed alltogether(and perhaps that one is the reason for no more linux).. I don't see it impossible for slim to be around 70W.

Let's assume 40/40 for cell/rsx and 20W for rest of the stuff inside box. Based on engadget 45nm cell consumes 40% less energy than 65nm one. This would mean cell consumes 26W now. putting ps3 slim to 86W. Assuming they could optimize rsx a bit more on the old 65nm node, tinkering here and there, better power supply, maybe the toshibas cell companion chip has been removed alltogether(and perhaps that one is the reason for no more linux).. I don't see it impossible for slim to be around 70W.

I don't know that I would take Cell to be under 30W - 45nm was a good shrink for them vs 65nm, but 65nm on its own terms was not really all that great relative to expectations from 90nm. When the 45nm chip was introduced, wattage was indicated to be hovering around ~50W. Granted in the intervening year+ process improvements over at Fishkill may have improved on this, but I would just wait for some actual wattage measurements to see where we're at now.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/582

I don't know that I would take Cell to be under 30W - 45nm was a good shrink for them vs 65nm, but 65nm on its own terms was not really all that great relative to expectations from 90nm. When the 45nm chip was introduced, wattage was indicated to be hovering around ~50W. Granted in the intervening year+ process improvements over at Fishkill may have improved on this, but I would just wait for some actual wattage measurements to see where we're at now.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/582

I'm just killing time speculating based on available data(perhaps not really information). I think we will have real numbers soon enough once the slim models are out in the wild.

I would be pleasently surprised if slim was 70-75W range, if slim is nearer 100W I'm thinking why didn't they do slim when introducing 80GB model already as the power consumption would most likely have allowed it(given an external power supply perhaps).

I would be pleasently surprised if slim was 70-75W range, if slim is nearer 100W I'm thinking why didn't they do slim when introducing 80GB model already as the power consumption would most likely have allowed it(given an external power supply perhaps).

I think the answer to that is simply that Sony can't be re-tooling their entire assembly structure every-time a new form factor is allowed. That would literally be every single hardware iteration then. They just waited for a time when the reductions allowed for a 'substantial' enough redesign to warrant the costs and back-end work.

Back