What Is Sony Announcing On Tuesday?

I know the PS2's iconic and everything but is a tip-off like this usual for a machine on it's way out? It isn't an anniversary for the little black PS2 is it? The tip-off, then Kotaku running it and the PS2 just don't sit right together IMO. Gosh, I think I'm getting less cynical as I get older...

No doubt other forums will be running wild with speculation. I may have a scout around (not that I'm expecting anything conclusive).

Full backward compatibility and AO-ratings allowed for the PS3 - that would be a reason for purchasing one.
In other facts I'm not interested.

I'm hoping they do 2 things:
* Conclude their initial strategy for the Playstation family (e.g., This would be mostly hardware driven and some PSN)
* Introduce the new unified SCE structure (What has changed ? What to look forward to ? Any new partners ?)

If not something this big, then it's probably a non-news. A PS3 price drop alone is on so many people's playbook that it's not news anymore. But that's just me :p

On the PS2 $99 front, one guy on GAF who says he's a Best Buy manager has stated that PS2 will drop to $99 on April 5. Take with your normal dose of salt.

Why would anyone care, are people still holding out after ten years, the magic $99 price point? :D

Uh...look at world population. Look at amount of PS2 sales. Of course people care. It's not about people waiting, it's about there being announcement that it's cheaper - that you can play loads of great games for cheaper - that you can REPLACE your big fat one.

On the PS2 $99 front, one guy on GAF who says he's a Best Buy manager has stated that PS2 will drop to $99 on April 5. Take with your normal dose of salt.

It's pretty much confirmed. He says he's looked at a ton of prerealease flyers from many different retailers, all state $99 PS2 and "new low price!" or something to that effect.

Although not saying 99 PS2 is the only thing Sony has lined up for that time frame.

Makes sense, PS2 sales have been falling off a cliff.

My guess is lowered prices for both PS2 and PS3. $99 and $349 for the 80Gb PS3.
And software backwards compatibility for selected PS2 games (Firmware 2.70)

PSP redesign perhaps (not PSP2) I think that it's planned for release somewhere after the summer so the kids can save up some money for that newer better psp.

Just noticed the PS2 is already €99,95 in the eurozone so it should go down to €79 then...

PSP redesign perhaps (not PSP2) I think that it's planned for release somewhere after the summer so the kids can save up some money for that newer better psp.

Just noticed the PS2 is already €99,95 in the eurozone so it should go down to €79 then...
I'd think they'd save bigger announcements, such as radical new hardware redesigns to E3.
Or not.

Noticed a PS2 bundled with singstar Abba at 990 SEK in a super market flyer this morning. I have rarely (if ever) seen that bundle below 1400 SEK before. Just an observation.

I don't know if that's going to be the announcement on Tuesday, but I agree strongly that we're very likely to finally see the PS2 go down to $99 now. Sales are indeed dropping and the current pricepoint is just too close to the 360 Arcade.

I don't know if that's going to be the announcement on Tuesday, but I agree strongly that we're very likely to finally see the PS2 go down to $99 now. Sales are indeed dropping and the current pricepoint is just too close to the 360 Arcade.

You can get it for £50 here.

Back