Remote game services (OnLive, Gaikai, etc.)

It sounds a little better than I expected - I expected better picture quality but worse playability, and it turns out to be the other way around, which is promising. This looks like it could have a future.

Well, yeah, internet speeds are getting better with time, but it is much harder to predict then the advancement of graphics hardware. Whereas pixel density will eventually come to a stop, so we can set a data size limit that'll be about enough.
Anything above 1080p 60fps, maybe with stereo adding another 2x multiplier, is kinda overkill. Then again, it's still eight times as much data without decreasing compression artifacts at all...

But buying the actual consoles will always give you a better experience.

Found some screenshots on GAF...

Borderlands here...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21960751&postcount=546

and

Just Cause 2 & DiRT 2
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21963588&postcount=582

Now, taking screenshots of real-time gaming isn't suppose to look as good since it's quality was suppose to be viewed in motion. Isn't there 2 different streams being recording: one for the player & a higher quality one for spectators? So wouldn't screenshots only tell part of the quality story?

Tommy McClain

I'm impressed by the lack of artifacts, or at least compared to the amount I was expecting.

But jeez, those really are low settings. I can't see that improving significantly though, it's how they are able to save on the hardware costs.

Certainly playable though for a decent portion of the population, me thinks - especially considering how many next-gen console owners are still using SDTV's.

That amount of blurriness would be quite apparent even on SDTV. My Xbox (not 360) hooked up via component or composite is much sharper than what's been shown so far on an old CRT TV.

Regards,
SB

I played a bit at E3, and as you'd expect the artifacts are the worst when the contents of the screen change rapidly from frame to frame. So swift camera movements or even explosions can result in a flurry of artifacts, similar to what you get when watching a movie on cable TV.

When I played Assassin's Creed 2, the settings it was running at made it look worse than the Xbox 360 version. It performed worse at well.

The controllers were responsive, but that's heavily dependent on your distance from the server.

Let's see, if you're not a starting member, it'll cost you $15 per month, and your existing internet connection probably isn't gonna cut it. Games cost the same if you want a purchase instead of a rental. But let's say there's some price cut for a 12 month subscription, so it costs you $140 for the next year plus the games you want.

$150 gets you an Xbox Arcade right now, games cost the same and the system has a much larger library. No lag, no compression artifacts, no bugs, in fact somewhat better image quality and framerate then what we've seen so far based on the first experiences. You also get to keep the games for as long as the DVD works, you get to keep the console as long as it works and not just for a year, and you can also turn it into a quite good set top device in your living room if you wish to.
The only thing against the Xbox is that it isn't really portable, so you can't take games with you for a short trip. Then again if you move too far from a datacenter, your input lag and image quality will probably suffer...

So, is there really anyone preferring Onlive to buying a console? Makes absolutely no sense to me from what we've seen so far.

I played a bit at E3, and as you'd expect the artifacts are the worst when the contents of the screen change rapidly from frame to frame. So swift camera movements or even explosions can result in a flurry of artifacts, similar to what you get when watching a movie on cable TV.

When I played Assassin's Creed 2, the settings it was running at made it look worse than the Xbox 360 version. It performed worse at well.

The controllers were responsive, but that's heavily dependent on your distance from the server.

Wonder how long of a life this has if new consoles are coming in 2012. Its not even at current gen console levels. Can't imagine it doing well against 2012 hardware.

So, is there really anyone preferring Onlive to buying a console? Makes absolutely no sense to me from what we've seen so far.

I can see it possibly being useful in hotel rooms, like as a gaming service for patrons to replace the n64's that I still see in hotel rooms from time to time. Or perhaps if they cut a deal with a cable provider to build it into future cable boxes. Aside from that I'm not really sure.

I guess nobody is using this yet? It went live yesterday. Guess since it's real nobody can bag on it for being vapor anymore. You will just find something else to bag on for being vapor. LOL

Tommy McClain

I have read some reviews and it seems, besides looking pretty bad, for games requiring fine movement (like mouse movement based games like World of Goo) it is a mess.

I don't think anyone ever doubted they could technically deploy a service. The issue was could they live up to the marketing. Poor IQ (worse than a $150 console), lag, at the mercy of your network provider, and if you discontinue the service you lose your "purchased" games?

OnLive has a looong way to go before it can compete with the big boys.

Well there is always the Phantom console to bag on for being vaporware Tommy.

Not surprised to hear about the cons of OnLive that were well theorized to be issues before release. Yup, I'll be sticking to my good 'ol PCs *pets them*.

My theory: they'll market to the hipsters with Macbooks, who don't want to be associated with the social stigma "gamer" carried by a real console in your living room. (Or a real TV, for that matter - around here the "hip" people rarely have a TV in their homes.)

Let's see, if you're not a starting member, it'll cost you $15 per month, and your existing internet connection probably isn't gonna cut it. Games cost the same if you want a purchase instead of a rental. But let's say there's some price cut for a 12 month subscription, so it costs you $140 for the next year plus the games you want.

$150 gets you an Xbox Arcade right now, games cost the same and the system has a much larger library. No lag, no compression artifacts, no bugs, in fact somewhat better image quality and framerate then what we've seen so far based on the first experiences. You also get to keep the games for as long as the DVD works, you get to keep the console as long as it works and not just for a year, and you can also turn it into a quite good set top device in your living room if you wish to.
The only thing against the Xbox is that it isn't really portable, so you can't take games with you for a short trip. Then again if you move too far from a datacenter, your input lag and image quality will probably suffer...

Don't forget that price is compounded each year you maintain the service and if you don't maintain the service for one year, your purchased (unlimited rental is their term) titles are deleted from your account, I think your account is deleted also.

So 3 years into it. An arcade unit would still have only cost you 150 USD, while onlive will have cost you 420 USD, or more than an Elite + Kinect almost. :D

The only niche I can see for this is as someone mentioned Hotel rental service as well as for people that are "on the go" a LOT and don't to lug around a gaming laptop. Just thought of another possibility. They could try to market this to Cable and Satellite TV providers as a PPV service they could offer.

Regards,
SB

I can see it possibly being useful in hotel rooms, like as a gaming service for patrons to replace the n64's that I still see in hotel rooms from time to time. Or perhaps if they cut a deal with a cable provider to build it into future cable boxes. Aside from that I'm not really sure.

Or in game stores or alike to showcase games. Otherwise the question about framerate, input lag, crappy IQ, and online multiplayer gaming with the service.

Don't forget that price is compounded each year you maintain the service and if you don't maintain the service for one year, your purchased (unlimited rental is their term) titles are deleted from your account, I think your account is deleted also.

So 3 years into it. An arcade unit would still have only cost you 150 USD, while onlive will have cost you 420 USD, or more than an Elite + Kinect almost. :D

The only niche I can see for this is as someone mentioned Hotel rental service as well as for people that are "on the go" a LOT and don't to lug around a gaming laptop. Just thought of another possibility. They could try to market this to Cable and Satellite TV providers as a PPV service they could offer.

Regards,
SB

Well the ''obvious'' advantage should be that you can always play the latest games so the subscibtion should be only a small investment if you compare it to owning and upgrading hardware. Ofcourse that is the theory I suppose.

But in reality it doesnt work as obvious IQ sucks (not to mention all the other disadvantages) and with current hardware prices anybody who is even halfway serious about playing games (and with the cost of onlive I suppose you have to be) might as well shell out those few extra bucks for a decent pc. I mean, for the last 2 years or so did all those budget pc's come with anything less than a decent dual core and 2gb of ram? All you have to do is stick in a 100 euro radeon 4870 or something similair and you will be playing every game out there with atleast medium settings.

The average Dell or HP box the "average" person has cant support a decent video card on the power supply, though.

And that "average" person is never going to replace his own power supply (besides the cost), either, it's a non-starter.

The average Dell or HP box the "average" person has cant support a decent video card on the power supply, though.

Actually they can. I've replaced GPU in such machines with GPUs capable to run multiplatform games very well. Those average Dell/HP boxes tend to have 350W+ PSU with decent 12v line.

My theory: they'll market to the hipsters with Macbooks, who don't want to be associated with the social stigma "gamer" carried by a real console in your living room. (Or a real TV, for that matter - around here the "hip" people rarely have a TV in their homes.)

I doubt it. Mac users tend to like their software pretty and functional.

Edit: I also own a Mac and don't plan on owning a tv or cable for a while ;)

Back