A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Here's some upcoming changes from the trunk of PS3 Media Server. The DTS one looks particularly cool.

v1.09

- Changes / Features : Windows/Linux

Streaming support for DTS / DTS-HD core only (DVD ISOs not supported yet)
New Option: unification of Mencoder/tsMuxer engines, including:
. Dynamic choice between H264 muxing or transcoding, based on AVC Level / ref frames support by ps3
. Remux on the fly of any H264 content from MOV, MP4, and AVI containers (ex: Apple trailers)
. Can be disabled via the #Video Settings# virtual menu if anything goes wrong

- Changes / Features : All Platforms

XBox 360 unofficial support (Pictures/Music/Videos : WMV8/WMA2 transcoding)
Automatic album art download from amazon or discogs
New option for browsing directory by date
Alternate cover art folder and <video>.jpg additional support (along existing <video>.<ext>.cover.jpg)
New translations: Romanian (thanks to Marinescu Alexandru Cezar), Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese (thanks to KK Tong)
Updated translations: Finnish, Greek, Icelandic, Portuguese, Swedish

- Fixes

Reworked RSS parsing (youtube playlists)
Wrong font detection on some systems: subtitles weren't loaded
Modified UPNP discovery [work in progress]

The author added 360 support and consolidated contributions since December last year. It is a secondary/unofficial feature. The name will remain as "PS3 Media Server" and Xbox 360 changes will be tracked under an umbrella bug item.

It seems there are too many deviations from standards to make seamless cross platform support work (e.g., MS's proprietary formats, private extensions and broken uPnP/DLNA implementation).

EDIT: Open-ended media services is not an easy project. The scope can spin out of control if not managed well. As easy to use as PMS is, there are still many issues to fix and stuff to polish for PS3 alone. Be patient.

I'm hoping the new version will fix some of the "black-screen" MKV videos when using TSMuxer. I watched some of the original Star Wars movies in 1080p, but I had to transcode them using MEncoder. AVISynth/MEncoder resulted in a "data corrupted" message, TSMuxer resulted in me hearing sound correctly but having a black screen, only just "MEncoder" worked properly.

Question: Does the PS3 support BRD-R (I assume thats the abbreviation for Blu-Ray Disc Recordable?). I put the Super Bowl on my DVR (huge Steelers fan) and I want to capture it to the PC, and then burn it ot BRD to maintain the HD image quality (instead of having it stored on an HDD, etc).
BD-R is listed as being compatible, so I would say yes.

I have a question:

How good is the PS3 at ripping CDs? (ie. converting them to MP3's).
Is it better than WMP/Itunes what about LAME?

I have a question:

How good is the PS3 at ripping CDs? (ie. converting them to MP3's).
Is it better than WMP/Itunes what about LAME?

What do you measure this ability with? It's very fast, and it supports most configuration and compression types of MP3 (and a few other formats), and it finds the album and track names online just as all the other software does, really.

I have no complaints ... If anything, I'd wish the playback features were a little more fleshed out - like I miss 120x speed and time searching when playing back mp3s (podcasts in particular).

So from what I read, PS3 Media server can play back dvd's ripped from a raid drive either as a single ISO file, or as a complete file structure. Has anyone tried this? I'm curious if one works better than the other, and if it works well all around. I'm mostly blu-ray now, but we still have about 40 or so dvd's like the complete Miami Vice series (legit) that I wouldn't mind tossing onto the raid unit for convenience.

I'll answer my own question :) I just tried it, ripped one of my dvds both as iso and video_ts, and they both seem to work equivalently.

So from what I read, PS3 Media server can play back dvd's ripped from a raid drive either as a single ISO file, or as a complete file structure. Has anyone tried this? I'm curious if one works better than the other, and if it works well all around. I'm mostly blu-ray now, but we still have about 40 or so dvd's like the complete Miami Vice series (legit) that I wouldn't mind tossing onto the raid unit for convenience.

Hmm didnt get the complete video structure thing to work for me with menus?

But no trouble playing back the kids movies.

Kudos for the Miami Vice thing, you just moved a notch or 2 on the coolmeter :)

I am hoping for a HiDef release :)

Hmm didnt get the complete video structure thing to work for me with menus?

Are the dvd menus supposed to work? That would be neat if true but I couldn't get those working either, although the movie played fine. It just lists all the dvds "titles" and you pick and play accordingly.

Kudos for the Miami Vice thing, you just moved a notch or 2 on the coolmeter :) I am hoping for a HiDef release :)

Hell yeah, I'll be first in line to buy the complete series on blu-ray :)

New version of ps3mediaplayer available. Nice improvements and includes now the unofficial support for xbox360.
- Changes / Features : Windows/Linux

DTS / DTS-HD core audio tracks are now streamable without reencoding (DVD ISOs not supported yet)
New Option: unification of Mencoder/tsMuxer engines, including:
. Automatic choice between H264 muxing or transcoding, based on AVC Level 4.1 compatibility and subtitles configuration
. Remux on the fly any H264 content from MOV, MP4, and AVI containers (ex: Apple HD Trailers)
. This option is enabled by default and can be disabled via the #Video Settings# virtual menu if anything goes wrong
TS/M2TS support improvement
2 channels downmixing support with PCM conversion

- Changes / Features : All Platforms

XBox 360 unofficial support (Pictures/Music/Videos : WMV8/WMA2 transcoding)
Mencoder archive handling (no seeking support)
Simplified copy (always available, no more option), and much faster with remuxed videos
Alternate subtitles directory
Multi language external subtitles support
Alternate cover art folder and <video>.jpg additional support (along existing <video>.<ext>.cover.jpg)
Automatic album art download from amazon or discogs
Option to display more recents file first in a directory
Ability to generate video thumbnails with Mplayer
New translations: Romanian (thanks to Marinescu Alexandru Cezar), Simplified Chinese and Traditional Chinese (thanks to KK Tong)
Updated translations: Finnish, German, Greek, Icelandic, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish

- Fixes

Reworked RSS parsing (youtube playlists)
Reworked Audio/Subtitles tracks handling
Better stability in LPCM and DTS handling
Fixed LPCM channel ordering
Wrong font detection on some systems: subtitles weren't loaded
Fixed tsMuxer crash at the end of file
Modified UPNP discovery

I've a couple of questions regards PS3's BRD playback. The first is how do you stop watching so you can resume from the same place? Watching Spiderman 2, whether I stop, pause, or anything, it always starts playback from the beginning.

Secondly, is there any noise reduction option in PS3 that I'm missing? I flicked through an AV mag reviewing BRD players and they said of PS3 that it was now a bit dated, had a lot of noise, and lacked 'three dimensionality'. At that I put the mag back on the shelf and sneered. But comments about extracting and displaying a third dimension of content never recorded and presented on a 2D display aside, Spiderman 2 is riddled with distracting noise. I can well believe other players with noise reduction produce a better picture. PS3 has options for DVD playback but nothing comes up for BRD playback. Is this actually an area Sony don't want to address in software because it helps promote more profitable standalones?

I've a couple of questions regards PS3's BRD playback. The first is how do you stop watching so you can resume from the same place? Watching Spiderman 2, whether I stop, pause, or anything, it always starts playback from the beginning.

Secondly, is there any noise reduction option in PS3 that I'm missing? I flicked through an AV mag reviewing BRD players and they said of PS3 that it was now a bit dated, had a lot of noise, and lacked 'three dimensionality'. At that I put the mag back on the shelf and sneered. But comments about extracting and displaying a third dimension of content never recorded and presented on a 2D display aside, Spiderman 2 is riddled with distracting noise. I can well believe other players with noise reduction produce a better picture. PS3 has options for DVD playback but nothing comes up for BRD playback. Is this actually an area Sony don't want to address in software because it helps promote more profitable standalones?

Some discs don't support resume at all due to java making the resume implementation less than easy.

As for noise reduction blu-ray picture is supposed to be sent to tv as it's encoded in disc without the player doing any adjustements(other than scaling if needed) hence preserving the directors vision. Noise reduction(if needed) is supposed to be applied when mastering the disc. Purists think blu-ray has each single pixel on disc as the director intended, don't mess with the artistic vision :)

On the other hand many movies are criticized for having over aggressive noise reduction and hence soft image. So perhaps doing the noise reduction on player would be sensible as that would let user to choose to either have less detailed image or more noise.

Last edited by a moderator:

The spider man series in general recieved high marks for video quality.

The noise you see can be 2 things, video noise from your TV/Display caused by being wrongly adjusted or just not very good, or "film grain".

One of the qualities of good Blu-Ray transfers is actually film grain. There has been a tendency to apply noise filters on some titles, while it removes noise it also removes details and on some extreme cases causes the movies to have a plastic like look.

Secondly, is there any noise reduction option in PS3 that I'm missing? I flicked through an AV mag reviewing BRD players and they said of PS3 that it was now a bit dated, had a lot of noise, and lacked 'three dimensionality'. At that I put the mag back on the shelf and sneered. But comments about extracting and displaying a third dimension of content never recorded and presented on a 2D display aside, Spiderman 2 is riddled with distracting noise. I can well believe other players with noise reduction produce a better picture. PS3 has options for DVD playback but nothing comes up for BRD playback.

The film grain amount in several Blu-ray films are way overdone. I couldn't stand it myself watching on a monitor since such things are a bit more visible becouse of the IQ. But Avivo has customisable global de-noise so I get minimal IQ loss but greatly reduced film grain, so much better but I feel your pain.

Btw could you watch Blu-ray movies through Linux OS and software player and if so perhaps de-noise could be available there?

The noise reduction features are only enabled for HDD videos and DVD. BRD videos are delivered "as is", probably to preserve the creators' original intention. :)

Back