Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

Yes there are self-shadows, even in ME1 (but they're ugly there, low res and lots of bias problems).

What's annoying in ME2 is that lighting is updated only every few frames or so, and with blending, so sometimes a character and light sources are standing still and yet the lighting changes. It's particularly disturbing in Thane's recruitment mission;

Don't these two parts of your post kind of contradict each other? :p

1. The engine has content that allows it to run at 30fps on old hardware. Enabling unoptimal MSAA implementation would not allow it to run smooth.

2. A faster modern PC can run the same content at 60-120fps. Enabling unoptimal MSAA implementation still allows it to run smooth.

What's annoying in ME2 is that lighting is updated only every few frames or so, and with blending, so sometimes a character and light sources are standing still and yet the lighting changes. It's particularly disturbing in Thane's recruitment mission;

Well, for Thane, I couldn't help but feel that they took advantage of that. :p

Yes there are self-shadows, even in ME1 (but they're ugly there, low res and lots of bias problems).

Yeah though I had an offset value for self-shadowing I used for ME and it had problems you mentioned but in ME2 they are great. Just a single cvar value change I picked up on the net. Odd that the devs didn't put such value in. Anyway shadows look damn near perfect but with bias of 4, texel density of 4, 2048x2048 max res.. anything inbetween should be a nice visual boost. :LOL:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1476974&postcount=615

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/6494/me2pc10.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3092/me2pc11.jpg

Will be interesting to see if they change these values.

ShadowFilterQualityBias
MaxCharacterCinematicLightingPasses
MinShadowResolution
MaxShadowResolution
ShadowTexelsPerPixel
QualityBloom
CompositeDynamicLights

Particularly those will impact visuals and perfomance.

What's annoying in ME2 is that lighting is updated only every few frames or so, and with blending, so sometimes a character and light sources are standing still and yet the lighting changes. It's particularly disturbing in Thane's recruitment mission.;

revisit the PC version, I set full update rate for lighting in my config. Not that I noticed anything obvious but since I locked my framerate to 40fps it doesn't mather, the more the merrier. :LOL:

Its not just ME2, a lot of Unreal Engine 3 games have this problem...including Gears of War.
Its funny to see the lighting change simply cause you looked in a different direction while in cover.

I hear talk about 2xMSAA being in use except in areas where it breaks. Sure looks like 2xMSAA.

You'd be hard pressed to find the MSAA shade in Mass Effect 2 in general. It's near impossible to find in the 360 edition with all the deferred effects they use. I have a few ideas on what spots to search when the demo comes out, but it will depend on what levels are given...

But how come when for PC forcing MSAA has most edges anti-aliased bar shader alisaing on mapping?

Since MSAA on PC is a GPU vendor driver hack I would think on consoles it would not be worse, right?

But how come when for PC forcing MSAA has most edges anti-aliased bar shader alisaing on mapping?

Forcing AA usually applies MSAA to all buffers (super-sampled buffers), including effects that rely on depth/stencil, which may be single sample per-pixel buffer on console (i.e. resolved to main memory on 360). Otherwise, the IHVs may actually take advantage of the underlying DX10 hardware to enable MSAA with DX9 MRTs (wrt game profiling, reading MSAA'd depth) for a smaller hit. You might try forcing AA with pre-G80 and pre-RV6xx hardware (for instance) to see if that actually works.

Oof, yeah some nasty aliasing there, but that was to be expected. I wonder if they even bothered with 2xAA on PS3 or instead didn't bother and instead used the extra performance for other things.

Regards,
SB

Oof, yeah some nasty aliasing there, but that was to be expected. I wonder if they even bothered with 2xAA on PS3 or instead didn't bother and instead used the extra performance for other things.

Regards,
SB

Is there any UE3 PS3 game with MSAA? Quote from DF article:

First up, there's the UE3 anti-aliasing situation. It's built into the Xbox 360 rendition of the engine, and has yet to be implemented at all on PS3, and in this respect nothing has changed with the arrival of Dark Void.

MK vs. DC has QAA on PS3, but engine was heavily modified for this game :)

Back