Tomb Raider: Underworld

360 gets exclusive DLC. Lots of it, apprantly!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337802

"EIDOS AND XBOX ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE DOWNLOADABLE CHAPTERS FOR TOMB RAIDER: UNDERWORLD

Monday 6th October/... Eidos Interactive, creator of some of the world’s leading video game properties, today announces an agreement with Microsoft to release two brand new downloadable chapters in the continuing Tomb Raider adventures of Lara Croft. Containing up to six hours of new gameplay and content for Tomb Raider: Underworld™, the chapters will be available exclusively on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®. A demo for Tomb Raider: Underworld will also be available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace in October.

Offering entirely new content specifically designed to extend the Tomb Raider: Underworld experience, Tomb Raider: Underworld – Beneath the Ashes and Tomb Raider: Underworld – Lara’s Shadow will deliver two very different single player gameplay experiences. Tomb Raider: Underworld – Beneath the Ashes takes place after the Underworld story has finished and will feature an incredible new environment to explore, additional secrets to unlock and different enemies to fight. Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara’s Shadow will introduce players to a new kind of playable character and create a unique Tomb Raider experience."

"EIDOS AND XBOX ANNOUNCE EXCLUSIVE DOWNLOADABLE CHAPTERS FOR TOMB RAIDER: UNDERWORLD

Monday 6th October/... Eidos Interactive, creator of some of the world’s leading video game properties, today announces an agreement with Microsoft to release two brand new downloadable chapters in the continuing Tomb Raider adventures of Lara Croft. Containing up to six hours of new gameplay and content for Tomb Raider: Underworld™, the chapters will be available exclusively on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®. A demo for Tomb Raider: Underworld will also be available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace in October.

Offering entirely new content specifically designed to extend the Tomb Raider: Underworld experience, Tomb Raider: Underworld – Beneath the Ashes and Tomb Raider: Underworld – Lara’s Shadow will deliver two very different single player gameplay experiences. Tomb Raider: Underworld – Beneath the Ashes takes place after the Underworld story has finished and will feature an incredible new environment to explore, additional secrets to unlock and different enemies to fight. Tomb Raider: Underworld - Lara’s Shadow will introduce players to a new kind of playable character and create a unique Tomb Raider experience."
I dont like the idea of a full blown expansion pack being released a month or so after a game releases, it makes it seems like the publisher is purposely holding back content to nickle and dime people. Is this being done to compete with Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia? The DLC probably will result in Tomb Raider having subsantially more gameplay than either of those two platformers.

Hmm bit sad about this, i wanted to buy this game for the PS3 but this indicates that the original PS3 and 360 versions got nerfed?

I'm more excited about the demo. That'll be the make or break. God damnit!!!!! Too many games out this holiday season :|

Hmm bit sad about this, i wanted to buy this game for the PS3 but this indicates that the original PS3 and 360 versions got nerfed?
What makes you say that?

Note: this isn't a DLC merit discussion - but I just don't see how this means the game is supposed to suddenly be nerfed (unless you think GTA4 and Mirror's Edge are also nerfed)

What makes you say that?

Note: this isn't a DLC merit discussion - but I just don't see how this means the game is supposed to suddenly be nerfed (unless you think GTA4 and Mirror's Edge are also nerfed)

Because i think they planned and developed the DLC alongside with the original game. I am looking forward to the reviews, especially how long it´s going to take to finish the game :)

GTA4´s DLC isn´t out yet, it was clear that DMA Design hardly knew what it was going to be and as i said in the other thread, when i am done with GTA4 i think i will have had my share of GTA4 :)

I'm more excited about the demo. That'll be the make or break. God damnit!!!!! Too many games out this holiday season :|

Yeah! Really too many games… Personally, purchase of games with DLC are delayed until a retail version with DLC is out. This, simplified the purchase decision for this holiday season… No buy!! :) ;)

Because i think they planned and developed the DLC alongside with the original game. I am looking forward to the reviews, especially how long it´s going to take to finish the game :)
You thought wrong, then.

Other than the fact that having DLC itself was part of the plan to get past the ugly and completely ludicrous online requirements, there was never any DLC developed alongside the main game. The content itself doesn't even exist yet.

You thought wrong, then.

Other than the fact that having DLC itself was part of the plan to get past the ugly and completely ludicrous online requirements, there was never any DLC developed alongside the main game. The content itself doesn't even exist yet.

Conspiracy killer :devilish:

You thought wrong, then.

And that's my point to tfk.... you're assuming any game with planned DLC content is automatically gimped at retail. It seems it's your perception that's in error here, rather than the actual game.

It's a shame you won't be enjoying Mirror's Edge or Fallout 3 this year, too, since they both look great, too.

That's exactly what my initial response was. "Between RTM and game available on shelves there's a huge gap which can be easily filled with... well... work. If it takes 2 weeks to cert and 4 weeks to manufacture/deliver, content coming out 1mo after game's release was in development for 2.5-3 months. And that's not "nerf time", it's the reality."

I fail to understand why would anyone attribute this situation to CD. Being angry on someone doing business is weird. People get upset about tiny stuff too easily these days. :)

You thought wrong, then.

You can create, playtest and finalize the first bit of DLC in the two months before the "Xmas period" release?

Might want to separate plan/intention from execution. The team wants to deliver DLC in a month's time after launch. They may very well hit it. If not, it will just come later (like GTA4). Either way, this is a business arrangement between Crystal Dynamics and Microsoft.

If it sells well, and interests are high, they may do a follow up (More DLC, or another game). The platform holders and developers will continue to learn and evolve their models based on market feedback. I believe what we see today is not the final picture yet (There's so much more to explore !)

And that's my point to tfk.... you're assuming any game with planned DLC content is automatically gimped at retail. It seems it's your perception that's in error here, rather than the actual game.

It's a shame you won't be enjoying Mirror's Edge or Fallout 3 this year, too, since they both look great, too.

So now i assume thing, thank you for putting words in my mouth.

And a real thank you to s.monkey for clearing that up. And what exactly do you mean?

You can create, playtest and finalize the first bit of DLC in the two months before the "Xmas period" release?
Main thing here is that the DLC is content only, and the ones that come out sooner are not really going to involve new locations so much as new gameplay paths, and it was already announced that one of them would involve a new "type" of playable character. So in that sense, a lot of the *artwork* aspects of those levels are already done since the main part of the game itself is already complete. What remains is making a level out of it and some minor modifications at the artwork level, which is much faster than creating a brand new area altogether.

Might want to separate plan/intention from execution. The team wants to deliver DLC in a month's time after launch. They may very well hit it. If not, it will just come later (like GTA4).
For the most part, the ones that are likely to take long (if there are even any plans for such packs) aren't the ones that would come out soon. So for things like that, the worst-case scenario would be that we might have to make some code or global datablock changes, which would mandate the release of a patch before the DLC.

If it sells well, and interests are high, they may do a follow up (More DLC, or another game). The platform holders and developers will continue to learn and evolve their models based on market feedback. I believe what we see today is not the final picture yet (There's so much more to explore !)
Mmmm... that's really the crux of it. We do have preparations for the eventuality that DLC becomes some sort of miracle. The flipside of that is that we're still talking about Tomb Raider here; not exactly a highly anticipated franchise, so it's not really a certainty that it would pay off that well. Now if it was something like LoK, the story would be quite different I'm sure.

And a real thank you to s.monkey for clearing that up. And what exactly do you mean?
Well, the game itself is a complete picture... no real missing content or anything. The DLC is only about additional replay value by adding some alternate play paths and covering different angles. The game was never meant as some sort of episodic delivery thing, and there was never any intention of making the DLC *necessary* in any way. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people wished it was never part of the equation in the first place (I know I'd be one of them).

The flipside of that is that we're still talking about Tomb Raider here; not exactly a highly anticipated franchise, so it's not really a certainty that it would pay off that well. Now if it was something like LoK, the story would be quite different I'm sure.

That's the feeling I get (about developers' expectation) from the actions/decisions so far. I will still look out for the game. Will see how the reviews go since there is no PS3 demo. All the best !

Well, the game itself is a complete picture... no real missing content or anything. The DLC is only about additional replay value by adding some alternate play paths and covering different angles. The game was never meant as some sort of episodic delivery thing, and there was never any intention of making the DLC *necessary* in any way. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people wished it was never part of the equation in the first place (I know I'd be one of them).

Only thing missing after these answers is a PS3 demo, i guess i will have to checkout the PC version this time round :)

Back