Tomb Raider: Underworld

Just played through the demo. Mind you, this is my first Tomb Raider game since, well...Tomb Raider. It took me a few mins to get my head into puzzle solving mode but after that it was smooth sailing.

The visuals are very nice. Nothing jaw dropping but nice n' clean. I wish the bgm was a bit more atmospheric. It seemed lacking. The mention of Helheim reminded me of the Too Human storyline, which I actually enjoyed.

There's a few things though that stick out though. The tigers are terrible. Their animation and their art style. Seems really really out of place of the rest of the setting. The skybox seemed a bit weird. The clouds looks poor as was some of the lighting when looking up.

The gameplay is very solid though. Lara's animation are extremely well done and puzzles in the demo were all fun and not tedious. If the demo is any indication, this'll be a great addition to the TR franchise. Just look past the tigers and don't look up at the sky.

I think I'll really like this new Tomb Raider, based on the demo. The main character is definitely more athletically animated compared to previous versions. I particularly like the rock climbing capabilities. I haven't played any older games extensively, so don't know if they include this as well.

I really envy those with a demo. It's probably a must buy for me, unless this game features any framerate issues on the Ps3. If not and the gameplay is solid and back to the roots, I'm in and looking forward!

Good work. *thumbs up*

There's a few things though that stick out though. The tigers are terrible. Their animation and their art style. Seems really really out of place of the rest of the setting. The skybox seemed a bit weird. The clouds looks poor as was some of the lighting when looking up.

I like the exaggerated design of the big cats. lara isn't a perfectly realistic looking character either (thank god), so why do the animals have to look 100% naturalistic?

Demo was pretty nice, though I'll have to start over since I got eaten. LOL The last TR I played was Legend on the original Xbox. Though I did try replaying it on the 360, but found out real quick it wasn't much different or fun playing it a 2nd time even in HD. Anyway, this newer version seems very similar to Legend in the playability(mechanics/puzzle) and animation. The amount of details and objects has increased though. Hopefully the story is as good or better.

Tommy McClain

Loved the demo! Pretty graphics, cool jungle environment, great stuff! The only thing I had trouble with was pulling off that 'head shot' feature. But no biggie. This one is an obvious buy for me.

Interesting... the demo is being pulled.... I hope we didn't get you into trouble SMM. :eek:
News to me. If it's being pulled, my first guess would be some TCR thing, though they'd catch those sorts of things before the demo is even allowed to go up. I have no clue what ve3d is talking about when they say "bad fish", though...

Might have something to do with sharks at the beginning of the level. They hurt me. LOL

Tommy McClain

I've only seen Blim's video of the tigers (second video, @ 2min), but I thought they were well done. :???:
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_7271_en.html

I like the motion blur on the character movements. :)

Wow the framerate looks pretty smooth, texture work is really nice love the organic feeling of everything. Lara looks good too. Brings back that fuzzy feeling from way back after first playing the original TR in 3D with texture filtering and translucency effects on a PowerVR accelerator. Gotta get this game just so I could play around in the environments, it's so peaceful and beautiful like an exotic paradise retreat. Time to break out the champagne. :D

ShootMyMonkey,

Congratulations. I've just watched the gamersyde, and am very impressed. This is a Tomb Raider I've long been looking forward to. It's clear, the video is from the XB360 - if the PS3 version runs as smooth, it's a day one purchase for me.

I do have a question.
As a European residing in Switzerland, does the game feature selectable language? I'm asking because English without subtitles is a must for me. If we get a German-only version, I'd rather just import it from the UK. Since most game-shops overhere have no idea, I thought I'd ask you.

Thanks!
Cheers Phil

So, what about a PS3 demo now?

Would be interesting to know at what resolution the PS3 version is rendering.

Quaz51 already confirmed, that the Xbox 360 version only renders at 1024 x 576p with 2 x AA.

His thoughts are, that the PS3 version will probably render at 1024 x 576p with 2 x AA, too. Or maybe at 1280 x 720p without AA.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1233928&postcount=1467

A PS3 demo would be nice. Not only for checking the rendering resolution and perforcmance, but for playing it, too, of course.

So, what about a PS3 demo now?

Would be interesting to know at what resolution the PS3 version is rendering.

Quaz51 already confirmed, that the Xbox 360 version only renders at 1024 x 576p with 2 x AA.

His thoughts are, that the PS3 version will probably render at 1024 x 576p with 2 x AA, too. Or maybe at 1280 x 720p without AA.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1233928&postcount=1467

A PS3 demo would be nice. Not only for checking the rendering resolution and perforcmance, but for playing it, too, of course.

No PS3 demo as far as I'm aware. it's 360 exclusive. I played both at the Eurogamer Expo and graphically I wasn't impressed at all. Was hard to compare each of them as the PS3 ones were on 40 inch screens, and the 360 ones on small computer screens. So...I couldn't make a reliable comment on which looked better.

I played both at the Eurogamer Expo and graphically I wasn't impressed at all.

Looks like we saw the same product and came to opposite conclusions. It looks great to me, the most lush jungle I've seen on console yet. Very organic, very alive, lots of variety. Nicely designed demo level as well. Well done! Now I just need a signed copy from ShootMyMonkey :)

Looks like we saw the same product and came to opposite conclusions. It looks great to me, the most lush jungle I've seen on console yet. Very organic, very alive, lots of variety. Nicely designed demo level as well. Well done! Now I just need a signed copy from ShootMyMonkey :)

Really? Low res textures, muddy colours, crap water. Best jungle on consoles? Nah. Uncharted and even Far Cry 2 have it beat by far.

One thing I did notice is that the Ocean on the PS3 version was awful...but then I didn't see the ocean on the 360 version, nor did I see any other water on the PS3 version. So the Ocean could be awful on both :D

Really? Low res textures, muddy colours, crap water. Best jungle on consoles? Nah. Uncharted and even Far Cry 2 have it beat by far.

One thing I did notice is that the Ocean on the PS3 version was awful...but then I didn't see the ocean on the 360 version, nor did I see any other water on the PS3 version. So the Ocean could be awful on both :D

Sounds like we played different versions of the demo :) Is your 360 hooked up via component? Maybe that's whats messing up things. Some displays do somewhat better with hdmi than component. I fired up the Uncharted demo immediately after playing the TR demo. It looked sharper....and that's it. TR looked better to me with far more variety. Uncharted had the same tree next to the same tree next to the same tree next to the same...etc. But I'm not gonna get in a pissing match, so chalk it up to different strokes for different folks I guess.

I'm playing Far Cry 2 on PC so I didn't compare to that, since console vs. pc is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Back