"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

HL2 had a skeletial animation system, yes, with little things like jaw bone movement controlled by the digitized speech to simulate, well mouth movement during talking, and simple inverse kinematic (aim constrain) to always look at the player in cutscenes.

i always wanted to know how many poly did silent hill 3 pushed, til this day this game visual is pretty impressive.

sh3_screen006.jpg

[Talking on Uncharted]

To Rich or an another ND guy,
Could you please give me some numbers about the characters' polygons (in realtime, not the renders)? I think that a model like Drake is using about 30k. Am I wrong?
I'm speaking about characters like Drake or others using a high amount of polygons and even the ''low-detailed'' ones (pirates, etc) of course ;) .

There seems to be quite some polygons but I dont think it is near 30k. The excellent use of normal map fools the eye which is just exactly the purpose of using mapping techniques.

unchartedP1.jpg

unchartedP2.jpg

the main characters are around 20-30k per character depending on the complexity. I think Drake is around 30.. i dont have the numbers in front of me.

the enemies/pirates are around 12-15k.

we are trying to hide as much as we can with normal maps so the polys really dont show. Hopefully that'll come through in game!

-Rich

Is between 8000-14000 polygons per character (enemies differ like dogs, rats, mutants etc). Exoskeleton character (the exo suit) has 10000+ polygons (type). The other non exo takes up a bit more since the faces is rendered (exo has a mask). Weapons and weapons on back is not included in the polygon numbers only character model. :smile:

Here is some screengrabs from the exosceleton model without a mask.
If the entire character has -lets say- 12.000 polys his head must be at least 5.000 polys IMO.

crysis1nj0.jpg

crysis2qb1.jpg

crysis3fd8.jpg

the main characters are around 20-30k per character depending on the complexity. I think Drake is around 30.. i dont have the numbers in front of me.

we are trying to hide as much as we can with normal maps so the polys really dont show. Hopefully that'll come through in game!

-Rich

How come you are a senior member with only 13 posts.
Anyway nice to see you here.

-Rich

Could we please get a definite number on this?.

Thanks.

Here is some screengrabs from the exosceleton model without a mask.
If the entire character has -lets say- 12.000 polys his head must be at least 5.000 polys IMO.

Hehe!

I was not clear in my post but I was talking about the exo suit in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. The models in Crysis definitely has way more polygons without taking into account the polygons for the weapons. :smile:

Shame we don't have any Melbourne House devs here.

I would love to know how many polys Transformers for ps2 pushed.

Back