Post *your* Lair impressions/experiences

That's awesome ! I hope they fix all the major complains about the game. Scale-wise, the game is still unsurpassed.

Agreed.. My bro just got this over the weekend & I watched him play the first level.. Aside from the rough particle effects, framerate dips & pop-up it was bloody spectacular IMO..

Are they going to fix the frame rate ? The 2.20 supposedly have more memory available maybe that can help with the streaming of things to improve frame rate ?

I was reading about GTA4, especially things like helicopter play (where you can kill enemies on a ground by tilting the copter so the blade chop up people trying to run away or using the skid pads to fly above an enemy copter to cause it to crash) and thought about the scale of Lair.

Remembered the guy boasting how the Lair engine allowed macro to micro transitions, fly high above, get into aerial combat and then land somewhere for ground battles.

Maybe they can use this kind of engine to enhance those battles. Will probably have to happen on games which are more popular than Lair though.

I was reading about GTA4, especially things like helicopter play (where you can kill enemies on a ground by tilting the copter so the blade chop up people trying to run away or using the skid pads to fly above an enemy copter to cause it to crash) and thought about the scale of Lair.

All 3 of the last gen GTA games had that man. This standard GTA stuff.

But now if you can do it multiplayer, do it to other human-controlled players rather than AI ...

That's why Lair would have been more interesting with multiplayer, all that vast playground.

Update on PSN

Dragons and Control Pack:

Two New Dragons: The Wind and Poison dragons are now fully playable and added to your stable.
Analog Flight Control: While flying, control your dragon utilizing the dual analog sticks on your controller.
Dualshock 3 Rumble support: With the use of the DS experience every smash, claw and attack from enemies.
Remote Play: Take the Lair experience portable with RP via the psp. Sync up your PSP to the PS3 systems and play Lair remotely through your PSP.

Downloading now, to try it out.

Its that bad huh...but it looks so pretty in the screenshots especially the level with the asteroids in the background.

I didnt see that stage but what I ve seen in the demo didnt look good at all.

The visuals are extremely rough. And it is not pleasant in the eyes either. There is too much brown. The visuals seem very rushed and unpolished. It is impossible to enjoy them. The choice of colors is weird. It is hard to explain but after some time of playing the imagery was annoying my eyes. I d prefer to play a PS2 game than this despite that it has an unbelievable size of scale and things happening on screen. Shadows are extremely rough. Sources of lighting are too few. The framerate is often choppy. Some monsters depict low res textures too.

This game shouldnt have been released as it is.

I cant believe how much the visuals changed since the real time tech demo they showed years ago. I wonder what really went wrong! I am sure that they could have made it look almost as good as they promised if they chose a different direction.

It is in the chinese store. I made a Hong Kong account to download it. It was recently put there

Oh and something else. The controls are confusing. Some aerial dragon fights require some motion sensing and button pressing but I dont quite get the logic.

And some of the motion sensing input makes no sense. For example the 180 degree turn requires you to suddenly lift up a lot your controller. The control movement and the result dont make sense.

Think reins. At least, that's what you're supposed to if I remember correctly. Then again, I'm one of probably very few guys that can actually ride a horse. ;)

I don't know but it seems to be! I stopped riding horses because I don't like bossing an animal around. That's also why I have a cat (ok, 3 cats) rather than a dog. ;) Besides, a bicycle is a lot more practical. :p However, when I was 10 I went on a camp where you rode horses twice a day for 45 minutes, including bareback at the end. Later I went riding twice more (once in Italy, was very nice), but then I quit, for the aforementioned reasons.

I've never met another guy who could ride horses, I think. Part of the big thing of riding a horse is also taking care of the horse, brushing it, etc. That's traditionally been considered more something for the ladies (witness the my little pony marketing).

This world is incredibly sexist, and it's nowhere as obvious as when you look at what kids are confronted with when they're little. My parents were very different in this respect, compared to just about all other parents. I did all sorts of things as a kid, from cooking class to go-karting and all sorts of stuff in-between, and there were very clearly stuff that people made girls do, and stuff that people made boys do. There's an incredible amount of examples I can come up with and only a few show some kind of balance in the sexes. And almost all of them can be traced back to 'genderism' in parents and the rest of the people that kids deal with.

Anyway, straying off-topic. ;)

The visuals are extremely rough. And it is not pleasant in the eyes either. There is too much brown. The visuals seem very rushed and unpolished. It is impossible to enjoy them. The choice of colors is weird. It is hard to explain but after some time of playing the imagery was annoying my eyes. I d prefer to play a PS2 game than this despite that it has an unbelievable size of scale and things happening on screen. Shadows are extremely rough. Sources of lighting are too few. The framerate is often choppy. Some monsters depict low res textures too.
Bullshit.Game is worthy and some levels very beautiful

Back