PS3 on monitors

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
I'm toying with getting a new monitor, and see there's a nice selection of 1440 x 900 TFTs available. If I ever get a PS3, it'll need to connect to the monitor, and that's a bit 'iffy', isn't it? How's PS3 over VGA? Not at all supported except through magic boxes, right? And over DVI, how will it look on 1440x900? Will it be better for PS3 to get a 1280x1024 and run it letter-boxed at 720p?

Until we get an hdtv, that's pretty much what my setup amounts to. A samsung syncmaster 941bw + dvi<->hdmi cable (they're cheap, maybe $15 or so). No iffyness on this end, except for display output I guess. 720p on this end for some reason goes slightly beyond the borders. 1080p works fine with the exception that the display is scaled to fit within the display with no account for AR (so it's slightly off).

Until we get an hdtv, that's pretty much what my setup amounts to. A samsung syncmaster 941bw + dvi<->hdmi cable (they're cheap, maybe $15 or so). No iffyness on this end, except for display output I guess. 720p on this end for some reason goes slightly beyond the borders. 1080p works fine with the exception that the display is scaled to fit within the display with no account for AR (so it's slightly off).

I'm using a DVI <-> HTML to a LG monitor. Works great. RGB Full option is beautiful.

I've run my PS3 through a LG 22" panel and it looked pretty good. I've since upgraded to a 40" Sony Bravia and that looks amazing ;)

:LOL: That's what you get when rushing for project and posting at the same time. Excuse me while I go file a patent now... ;-)

Is it safe to say any current monitor with DVI will have HDCP?

(Filing superior Video<> XML patent...)

It will normally state such support in the description. HDCP still remains the exception rather than the norm on monitors, for the record.

The PS2 linux VGA adapter will work if your monitor supports Sync on Green. There's a database for tested monitors:
http://playstation2-linux.com/sog.php

Though you'll probably find the answers you're looking for if you google your monitor model number and "sync on green". Of course, that's just the first hurdle, it's got to handle a 720p/1080p signal properly and hopefully allow 1:1 pixel mapping so it doesn't get stretched if you have a 4:3 or 5:4 monitor.

There are aftermarket adapters too, like HDFury which is theoretically the best solution by transcoding HDMI to VGA. It's basically a HDCP stripper, but it's very expensive, as are component to vga transcoders for that matter (but around 1/2 the price of a HDFury).

Adaptors don't make sense if you're looking to buy a new monitor. The price of a monitor with HDCP is less than a monitor that's VGA only and an adaptor to get it to work! At the moment it seems more a faf of tracking down monitors that support HDCP. It's not a checklist feature with online retailers as far as I can tell.

Adaptors don't make sense if you're looking to buy a new monitor. The price of a monitor with HDCP is less than a monitor that's VGA only and an adaptor to get it to work!

Last time I checked, HDCP aware monitors were way more expensive than DVI or VGA only LCDs. Even if the technology is cheap there should be license difference.

I really don't know the current prices, but at least transcoders are still around $50.

Let me know if you find a HDCP monitor around $200 (or equivalent).

Anyway, some people still prefer CRT quality and they are pretty much free nowadays for the ones who don't mind the size ;).

Also if you are into DVDs, you need HDCP for upscaling anyway. I think upcoming Blu-ray releases will require HDCP as well.

At the moment it seems more a faf of tracking down monitors that support HDCP. It's not a checklist feature with online retailers as far as I can tell.

IIRC Amazon.co.uk used to list HDCP if supported.

Let me know if you find a HDCP monitor around $200 (or equivalent).
This?

KDS-K-92MDWB

$172 (exclusive). Don't think it's available this side of the Pond. Found a store that lists HDCP as a checklist feature, and out of a reasonable selection only the Dell had it. The Samsung 931BW looks good and is 'only' £150. That's a step in the right direction.

I'm using an IO Data monitor at work HDMI to DVI with absolutely no problems. It looks amazing in 1080P and the RGB functions play through fine.

As you are most likely aware, you'll lost audio over the DVI, so you'll have to work out either using the Multi-AV out or running audio through a fiber optic cable. In either case it's all very easy to set up.

P.S.
I was absolutely blown away by how cheap that monitor you posted is. I had no idea they were dropping that far in price. Amazing:oops:

Back