Z-Buffer FAQ?

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Jimmers, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Quitch

Veteran

So, what is the downside of all this additional precision? Larger memory hit? Takes more bandwidth?

2. Cryect

Regular

Basically, and really you definately don't want to be using 16 bit Z-Precision anymore (well unless you are messing around with something that is really low poly count where as well the polys aren't close together).

3. Quitch

Veteran

Okay, but say then 24bit compared to 24bit 8bit. What's the up and down sides to going with the additional 8bit stencil over plain old 24bit?

4. Cryect

Regular

Heh as far as I know just that you get a stencil buffer. Either way you have to read you data 32 bits at a time. It could be possible those 8 bits really get used in some other way to help performance but I don't know. Also not sure on this but it might be easier to do Z-Buffer compression when you don't have stencil bits since thats 8 less bits you have to worry about trying to compress.

5. KimB

Legend

The stencil buffer is a programmer's tool. It's not related directly to turning on any performance or effects.

6. Mendel

Mendel Mr. Upgrade
    Veteran

So even if I select a mode in radlinker, where there is not this 8 bit stencil listed, I will still get stencil shadows when game requests such a thing?

7. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    I think it's likely that you'll find that, in the above cases, if you haven't enabled the stencil, the 24 bit Z data will still be put into 32bit units and the remaining 8 bits ignored. Its the same with 24bit colour.

8. KimB

Legend

I don't think the game would be able to run its stencil algorithm if the stencil buffer is disabled, no.

9. Quitch

Veteran

From what I can gather, there seems little point in selecting anything other than 16,24,8bit stencil?