YouTube and Copyright

Diplo

Veteran
How come obviously copyrighted material can appear freely on YouTube without anyone seeming to care? A large proportion of movies uploaded by users are obviously ripped from TV/DVD/Films etc, not to mention most user-made stuff tends to feature commercial backing music. So why aren't the film and movie companies onto them like a ton of bricks? How can a place as high-profile as YouTube get away with it? Just curious to why no one seems to bother...

They are going after them, but all they are doing is issuing takedown notices to have individual movies removed. They've even gone after joke videos of people lipsyncing to poor quality reproductions of pop songs.

If you want the full stories, you should find info on Slyck.com and P2P.net.

Its stupid of them to go after YouTube. Its called FREE advertising.

If someone sees your funny show clip on YouTube then there's a good chance they'll seek it out on the TV for higher quality and longer viewing. Same thing with a song, if they enjoy a song used in a video then that person will seek it out and download it off of itunes.

Companies should embrace all the ways people are sharing media as I think it helps them more than it hurts.

Its stupid of them to go after YouTube. Its called FREE advertising.

If someone sees your funny show clip on YouTube then there's a good chance they'll seek it out on the TV for higher quality and longer viewing. Same thing with a song, if they enjoy a song used in a video then that person will seek it out and download it off of itunes.

Companies should embrace all the ways people are sharing media as I think it helps them more than it hurts.

It isn't about sales or piracy - it's about the media cartels fearing the loss of control and the ending of their current business models which are based on strict control of content.

How can they sell you an album when you only want to pay for the one good song that you want? How will they get you to go to another poor Hollywood movie if you've seen clips showing you how bad it is?

It isn't about sales or piracy - it's about the media cartels fearing the loss of control and the ending of their current business models which are based on strict control of content.

How can they sell you an album when you only want to pay for the one good song that you want? How will they get you to go to another poor Hollywood movie if you've seen clips showing you how bad it is?

Oh noes, it forces them to make a decent product, I forgot!

On the music part, people already generally go after the songs like they like. This is why music services are so popular now. It allows people to spend $3 for the three songs they like off of an album and not spend $10 for a large chunk of album they dont like.

For movies, well, you're correct. The companies simply would have to produce decent movies and when you have a good one then it'll be a massive hit and get lots of clips everywhere, when its bad it'll be pushed into the ground.

I personally still think YouTube could be used as a MASSIVE marketing tool.

I think the problem is people are posting whole episodes and movies, not just "funny clips".

Very low quality though, way, way below even SD TV broadcast audio and video. If anything, it's the sort of thing that's going to make me go out and buy the DVDs, which is actually what the cartels want. It's free advertising.

Back