Your seasonal anecdotes: Stories from the retail war grounds

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
I have seen a number of posters give feedback on what has been going on at retail outlets; everything from mounds of Xbox 360's at Best Buy to reports of new PS3 shipments. I thought it would be good to get a thread going of people depositing the info they see from the "ground floor" of where the retail sales are really happening.

Now these are anecdotes, so no one what their pants. But I think they are useful as minor barometers. e.g. When the NDS was launched a mother was being pulled by the hand by her pre-teen son to the electronics section ranting, "Mom, I really want a DS!" I was kind of shocked because of the scrutiny the NDS had recieved on the forums in general, and also that a pre-teen would have gained enough access to pre-launch material and hype to be excited about the product. Looking back the power of the Nintendo brand in the hand held space as well as its appeal to more casual gamers has been a huge win for Nintendo, something not many people here predicted.

So lets keep it clean, but I would be interested in reading what others are hearing at retail outlets. Yes, there are some f@nb01z at retail stores, especially EB/Gamestop types, but I think we can weed through those.

Today I was at Walmart and talking to the young man who works their gaming section. He had some interesting things to share.

First is that they have already got their second shipment of PS3s (8 of them) and promptly sold out. They were currently out of Wiis and PS3s and he noted that the Xbox 360's were moving very, very well. Surprisingly so. He also noted that Walmart was offering a $50 gift card for anyone who purchases an Xbox 360. I asked if he knew if this was a MS advertising effort or sponsored by Walmart themselves and he said it was Walmart sponsored and was intended to get people in the door.

The gentleman also noted, with a pained look, that the PS3 was overheating and had even crashed. I told him it had crashed 2x already on me, and I kid you not, as we were watching 3 college age males play Motorstorm it crashed on them. No people at the Xbox 360 kiosk and no Wii kiosk available yet. Motorstorm seems to be a hit (for obvious reasons!)

They had 2 Xbox 360 FF wheels, but he noted they had not sold any--not surprising at $150 and no new killer racers to push the product. They also had a number of HD DVD drives. I did not ask about sales, but he said they were quite expensive.

The store clerk indicated he was still very interested in a Wii and while dissappointed with the graphics he compared to "the best stuff on the GCN" he is very geeked out for the Wiimote. Interestingly he was not so sure on the PS3 anymore. He is a big Playstation fan and RPG player, but the crashing units (something he had criticized MS for earlier in the year) and cost were big turn offs. I mentioned that the units should get more stable next year and he responded that their new Xbox 360 unit is very quiet, doesn't get hot, and has been rock solid. We talked some about price drops and I said I expected the Xbox 360 to drop about $100 in 2007 and, surprisingly, he said he would be all over an Xbox 360 Premium for $299. I was kind of shocked as this was the same clerk who gave me the Luke Skywalker, "NOOOoooo.....!" when I told him Assassin's Creed was announced for the Xbox 360 because he wanted it to be exclusive for the Playstation. But the amount of games out and coming in 2007 were compelling enough at that price and doesn't think he can wait for the PS3 to get down to $299. Until then he plans to get and play a Wii to hold him over.

We went back to talking about Motorstorm and he said that most people were having the most fun blowing the vehicles up and it was really drawing crowds and groups of people laughing at the explosions. He, very well I might add, compared it to Burnout in Sega Rally. We were talking about the release date, I had mentioned I thought it was now slated for March and he said they were told January. I mentioned the Japanese release this year, minus online, which we both agreed would not be a good move here in the states. Looks like a great game (I like racers, but not my main course which is why I am surprised the 2 most appealing next gen games thus far for me are PGR3 and Motorstorm), wish it was PC bound personally.

Anyhow, those are my anecdotal observations this weekend as well some feedback from the staff in the electronics section. YMMV, and I am sure others will have quite a few different stories :D

I keep telling my brother to let go of his Wii, dream of getting one that is. :LOL:

PS. My local Walmart has moved a boatload of 360's.

I hear a guy a the mall: "I hate the PS3, and I'm very glad, since if I'd liked it, I'd have to play games on it, and I cant stand it!"

From out here, at the edge of nowhere...

Through the wonders of the global economy, EB games is one of the bigger (read: only) game outlets over here. Mainly because they buy up and rebrand the little guys, and have good staff (shock horror). If it were not for the last fact, I'd never set foot in one.

Anywho, when I got my 360, it was the last one they had in town. They were selling above expectations, so their shipment was late.
Note this was a good 2-3 months ago.
They threw in a free game, PGR3, which just happened to be out of stock almost everywhere as well.

For Gears... I got a peak at their preorder list. As I was geeky enough to preorder...
It had probably 40-50 people on it, which was really quite a lot. These are very small stores compared to what I'd expect you see in the US... Generally only 1 or 2 staff, that sort of thing.

360 takes centre stage. The games always are closest to the door, and the selection is on par with the PC and PS2. Xbox is at the back :p There is quite often a large pile of 360 boxes out front, and the current promotions are quite good. +$60nz on the premium will get you an extra wireless controller and PGR3 + DOA4.

Another retailer (Really big one) told me they had only one returned 360, and it was because of a broken power cable. Replacing the cable fixed the box. They basically said it was extremely reliable.

The Wiii buzz is fairly limited over here. I actually just found out it launched last Wednesday, yet I didn't see any demo units, nothing on TV, etc - up till then there were the odd poster and fake box, but that was about it. Probably because it's NZ$500 ($350us). Compare that to the core 360 is NZ$520.
Mainstream online retailers have pretty much ignored the Wii launch. However there are 19 launch titles, which is *really* good for an NZ launch.

Opinion online is interesting, basically the PS3 is a laughing stock right now with the general public. Stories are getting blown way out of proportion... Moreso than pre US launch...

My local Microcenter said they moved a ton of 360s. Their 100 rebate deal moved over 500 alone on Black Friday. Local Bestbuy has a lot of 360s in stock (they just lay them in bundles on the floor) and said they were moving them pretty fast due to the pack in game specials. No doubt, Wiis and PS3s are moving like no tomorrow once they are in stock. It's a good season for the gamer!

Out of frustration at not getting a PS3 on its launch date, I stormed out of FutureShop with a 4-game 360 bundle. A lot has to be said for simply being available when people have a gaming itch to scratch (or a kid's Christmas present to buy). Microsoft is masterfully exploiting Sony's (and Nintendo's, to a lesser extent) supply woes.

Anyway, I managed to snag a PS3 a few days later. However, both are sitting mostly idle as I'm working through my PS2 backlog of games. Man, games need to be shorter and cheaper...

No doubt, Wiis and PS3s are moving like no tomorrow once they are in stock. It's a good season for the gamer!

how do you figure? many people cant find the other two in stock (one of them isnt even launched in a certain region), in my opinion that makes it terrible for the gamer. If supply was ample, and you had your choice of the pickings without having to call ahead, didnt need to have insider information, or being in the door at the right moment to get one, then i'd agree. This is why the Xbox360 is, in my opinion, getting so much retail praise. Its actually a product that you can walk into the door and buy right off the shelf. This makes the customer happy and thus pleases the retailer. Having bottlenecked supply and getting harassed hundreds of times a day either via email, phone, or by customers who came in looking sucks.

I'd quite problably have a Wii and Zelda (even though i consider it extremely expensive) if my schedule let me roam around stores or into them when they open, but i dont, i have other obvious priorities. Thats a lost sale right there and you can bet there are tens of thousands more just like me.

The problem lies with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendos terrible launch scheduling this time around, which is something i already mentioned before in a previous thread. All three launched their consoles when supply was going to be most limited during a time of the season when supply is going to be in the biggest demand.

"30 days before Christmas we'll start shipments, what a super idea!" (course the first shipments are all sucked up by pre-orders and people camped out and supply is so limited 2 weeks in that you have retailers taking advantage of this by stacking on $200-$500 more in unwanted accessories pissing off customers)

For the gamer this sucks since we have to then compete with not only other early adopters but the thousands of people who think they'd make excellent holiday gifts which gives you the situations we have now. Supply is so bone dry we also have to contend with retailers trying to rip us off by forcing bundle crap down our throats we didnt want to begin with.

When a large percentage of interested customers arent satisfied its not a good time at all. Again, this is why the Xbox360 wins. Technically they also had the best launch by far this time too since during the competition season they also had the best availability by far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, I managed to snag a PS3 a few days later. However, both are sitting mostly idle as I'm working through my PS2 backlog of games. Man, games need to be shorter and cheaper...

If they were cheaper then you'd get more and have a bigger backlog :D . How did you manage to pick up your PS3 by the way?

I'm hearing reports of shipments of PS3's trickling in. However they seem to be handfuls at a time (4-8).

As long as they are flying them in, that will be the range they will be in. Once the start using ships then they should be comming in greater numbers...

availablity of ps3's in japan are gettin better so my friend in japan tells me. he was able to find 2 PS3 60gb's in the store . (the store was open for 30minutes)

As long as they are flying them in, that will be the range they will be in. Once the start using ships then they should be comming in greater numbers...

Oh the horror of gamers if one of those ships holding thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of PS3's happened to sink.

Oh the horror of gamers if one of those ships holding thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of PS3's happened to sink.
I think there are more important things in life then to cry about a sinking load of consoles.
but then again, i get your point :D

how do you figure? many people cant find the other two in stock (one of them isnt even launched in a certain region), in my opinion that makes it terrible for the gamer. If supply was ample, and you had your choice of the pickings without having to call ahead, didnt need to have insider information, or being in the door at the right moment to get one, then i'd agree. This is why the Xbox360 is, in my opinion, getting so much retail praise. Its actually a product that you can walk into the door and buy right off the shelf. This makes the customer happy and thus pleases the retailer. Having bottlenecked supply and getting harassed hundreds of times a day either via email, phone, or by customers who came in looking sucks.

I'd quite problably have a Wii and Zelda (even though i consider it extremely expensive) if my schedule let me roam around stores or into them when they open, but i dont, i have other obvious priorities. Thats a lost sale right there and you can bet there are tens of thousands more just like me.

The problem lies with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendos terrible launch scheduling this time around, which is something i already mentioned before in a previous thread. All three launched their consoles when supply was going to be most limited during a time of the season when supply is going to be in the biggest demand.

"30 days before Christmas we'll start shipments, what a super idea!" (course the first shipments are all sucked up by pre-orders and people camped out and supply is so limited 2 weeks in that you have retailers taking advantage of this by stacking on $200-$500 more in unwanted accessories pissing off customers)

For the gamer this sucks since we have to then compete with not only other early adopters but the thousands of people who think they'd make excellent holiday gifts which gives you the situations we have now. Supply is so bone dry we also have to contend with retailers trying to rip us off by forcing bundle crap down our throats we didnt want to begin with.

When a large percentage of interested customers arent satisfied its not a good time at all. Again, this is why the Xbox360 wins. Technically they also had the best launch by far this time too since during the competition season they also had the best availability by far.

well in order to be a gamer you have to have the system first! :LOL: ;)

I was at Toys R Us on Saturday and it was a literal madhouse with tons of people shopping everywhere. I was looking around in their gaming section when, lo and behold, a sales person grabbed the microphone, announcing with much bravado-

"Attention shoppers, we have two 20GB PS3 units available in the electronics dept. They must be purchased as a bundle."

I was close to the checkout so I thought of getting one to sell on Ebay, but at only ~$200 profit, it seemed hardly worth the trouble. I prepared myself to view the stampede and impending carnage of poked-out eyes and elbows to the gut that surely were coming. I was amazed to see absolutely nothing happen at all. I couldn't even tell if there was a line forming at the register. I stuck around and overheard that the price was ~$750 and I think came with two games. The big bear-like Dad she was telling this to appeared to have some mild interest, which quickly evaporated on hearing the price.

I think people underestimate how the sticker price on the PS3 makes parents' blood boil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think people underestimate how the sticker price on the PS3 makes parents' blood boil.

My experience is it's more of a chill when they hear the price.

Local Game Crazy had only gotten 3 PS3's in at all as of last week. The two clerks (1 a manager) were both rather unexcited about the PS3 since they were not really available to them. Therefore they are an X360 and PS2 shop so all of their displays are set up accordingly.

They also said they have moved about 35 HD DVD systems since they launched which is quite a few considering it's a little corner shop. They said they now get about 3-4 a week and they are gone by the time the next few come in.

Very quiet on the Wii front as well.

Back