Your POV on skiving

liolio

Aquoiboniste
Legend
Hi all,
Just wanted to know what the opinions on the matter are around here?
My personal experience is that I'm bad at it, actually no matter my awful carrier management or in fact complete lack of it, I've actually strong work ethics what I've found out in my many experiences (including lots of shorts ones...) is that skivers are everywhere but they hide more easily the higher they get. They spot hard or fair workers and try to get rid of them.
Lazyness and taking some time for oneself has always been part of human work I think but to the extend we face nowadays... I'm proud being lazy as it pushes me to do things efficiently but it is an argument skivers uses often but they push it to a whole other level.

I don't know I pride myself for being good at spotting upcoming trends and maybe I sense the premise of a reactionary movement in the society, my own thinking being a reflexion of that. I feel like our societies whereas they are not at the end of the ropes are getting really really close, I've, and I'm wrong I hope, the perception of an impending doom and that it would take a pinch to have things that looks to "working" to crumble into a dysfunctional mess. Skiving is part of that moral decay we are experiencing.

Wow that's some strong wording there. I better not comment then. OR maybe I will. I have a great career, I worked my ass off years ago and now I'm enjoying what came of it, My only real 'stress' is the travelling which sometimes can get a bit much. But otherwise all I do is relax. I haven't been to the office in a couple of weeks - and when I do is not for long - because I don't need to. My year is pretty much done and I've spent this time playing on my PS4, going out, eating like a pig, having random sex. Pretty much doing nothing. Oh and drinking!

I love skiving. I love being in the position that I can now relax and wake up whenever I want most days. People would work a lot better if they were allowed to relax more, I'm fully supportive of that and I banish any idea that 'skiving' is bad for the universe.

Chill! Relax! Have a break!

Last edited:
The thing is, a large (genuinely enormous, really) percentage of our societies will never get to the position where they can not show up for work for a couple weeks, pig out on food, booze up and have random sex, no matter how much they work their ass off. (What kind of work exactly is it you're doing, you said.......? lol!)

It's another sign of the ongoing stratification of wealth and power that has been ongoing since the 1980s at least.

Wow that's some strong wording there. I better not comment then. OR maybe I will. I have a great career, I worked my ass off years ago and now I'm enjoying what came of it, My only real 'stress' is the travelling which sometimes can get a bit much. But otherwise all I do is relax. I haven't been to the office in a couple of weeks - and when I do is not for long - because I don't need to. My year is pretty much done and I've spent this time playing on my PS4, going out, eating like a pig, having random sex. Pretty much doing nothing. Oh and drinking!

I love skiving. I love being in the position that I can now relax and wake up whenever I want most days. People would work a lot better if they were allowed to relax more, I'm fully supportive of that and I banish any idea that 'skiving' is bad for the universe.

Chill! Relax! Have a break!

I'm really sorry to be so blunt, but this is disgusting. I understand that you've worked hard in the past, that perhaps you've achieved great things and you may feel a certain sense of entitlement to satisfy your baser instincts, but I believe people have a moral imperative to constantly question themselves, take a step back, examine their choices and wonder whether their behaviour matches the goals they once set for themselves, and whether the person they've become is still someone they can respect.

I mean, WTH is wrong with you for spending so much time playing on your PS4? Do you not own a PC, or something?

lazy-gif.gif

The thing is, a large (genuinely enormous, really) percentage of our societies will never get to the position where they can not show up for work for a couple weeks, pig out on food, booze up and have random sex, no matter how much they work their ass off. (What kind of work exactly is it you're doing, you said.......? lol!)

It's another sign of the ongoing stratification of wealth and power that has been ongoing since the 1980s at least.
I have people! Who now handle a lot of the work I broke my back doing in previous years.

Seriously now, of course I downplay it a fair bit. My job entails going to meetings - booked by someone in the office - and manage my existing clients with the support of someone else. And of course directing my team so that we all do what needs to be done, directing sales in my territories and everything that comes with a higher level sales job. But it's extremely flexible. For me. Not the rest of the team :devilish: But that's also because I travel a lot: I think the last two years I probably did around 70 trips to Europe on business, per year. So yes I work a lot, just with a different structure and I allow myself a lot of time to relax, mainly because of the extensive travelling which gets very tiring.

The point is!!! Don't judge people just because they might not sit at a desk 9-5 without breaks. There are many different realities and one person's 'skiving' is another's way to try to have a normal life. What's normal anyway?

Sitting at a desk is not work, talking to people is not work, meetings are not work, what people do on building sites is work
or you could be a fireman, a motorcycle cop or an indian chief

*Im so sorry :D

Sitting at a desk is not work, talking to people is not work, meetings are not work, what people do on building sites is work
or you could be a fireman, a motorcycle cop or an indian chief

*Im so sorry :D

I dunno mate, you'd be surprised at how many folks find "talking to people" so hard. I've interviewed people that have flat-out refused to perform presentations.

Maybe before people criticise they should try working in an office, dealing with multimillion projects that could potentially fail at any moment, after years of work, and then dealing with the fallout. Or travelling to a foreign country and speaking on a stage in a conference room in front of 100s of people.

Everyone has different tolerances of what they're capable of and I wonder if you were sat in my boots for a few weeks whether you'd come away and suggest that it's "not work".

I was brought up by parents with a strong work ethic so it's contray to my nature to not try my best. I guess it depends what type of organisation you work in but skivers don't last long around here. Where I work we have six monthly assessments (with independnt oversight) which is predicated on what and how we perform. The what is clear, the how is more interesting as these are tied to behaviours.

In the old days skivers could appear tobe very active (lots of meetings etc) but produce little and this would pass for work but now, this just results in being assessed as inefficient.

My personal experience is the harder you work, the more rewards you benefit but I suspect my organisation is atypical of working environments!

My personal experience is the harder you work, the more rewards you benefit but I suspect my organisation is atypical of working environments!
It is in the u.s over the past few decades the productivity of the average worker has increased massively yet wages have remained largely static.

Back