Your brain sucks at videogames - For RAGE gamers

237msec for me, just woken up nothing eaten/drunk. I dont know if that makes a difference I may try to night

First average was 228 then second ave 206, which is funny because I suck at multiplayer shooters or just about any twitched based multiplayer genre.

BTW if you want to"test" yourself: Human reaction time benchmark.
Odd factoid - our reaction time to auditory stimulus is faster than the visual.
For audio, my reaction time to button press time is roughly 120ms which is quite quick. For reference, if the pressure in the blocks of a short distance runner increases before 100ms has passed, they are disqualified. And yes, this means some (rare) runners are falsely penalized.

I'm getting between 220 - 240 ms when looking directly at the screen. If I look to the side of the monitor I'm getting between 190 - 210 ms. Does peripheral vision effect response time in a positive manner?

Funny little tool. 210 on average, 183 the fastest. I always though my self as "slow", played very little online FPS and so on, never though I'd be good enough. Most likely though it is the stress part that I don't like about it and the reason I prefer a bit more slow games sitting comfy on my couch...

I'm getting between 220 - 240 ms when looking directly at the screen. If I look to the side of the monitor I'm getting between 190 - 210 ms. Does peripheral vision effect response time in a positive manner?

Could have something to do with the text that is in the box. When you look at it straight you can see the text changing from "wait" to "click" which might induce some extra processing time as your brain might want to start reading it rather than only reacting to the colour change. In your peripheral vision you just react to the change, something happens but you don't start analyzing it. It least that is one theory...

That's possible, peripheral vision evolved as a way to note and react to movement without much processing. If a dangerous "thing" is coming at you from the side, it's better to react and move out of the way before trying to figure out what it is.

Looking directly at something engages the brain to process a larger stream of information. What is this object? What color is it? Does it mean anything? Are there words to decipher? Is there a memory associated with it? Is it something edible? Is it friendly? Is it dangerous? Can I interact with it? etc.

In other words, your brain doesn't "think" about things that happen in your peripheral vision, you just react to them. But when you look at something, your brain has to think about it to some degree...

Regards,
SB

BTW if you want to"test" yourself: Human reaction time benchmark.

It's a fun test. My average is also consistantly ~240ms - best around 204ms - worst 260ms (I'm 31).

One thing though - this isn't necessarely "brain lag". I would think the chain is "seeing", "realizing", "response", then "impulse to finger to click" and then crucially, the amount it takes to move the finger and button and then also add the time it takes the computer to process the signal and relay it to the flash app running on the OS and flash player. Also, I might be nit-picking, but your computer screen also has lag too - so there's a latency between when the apps starts counting its miliseconds when the colour switches to green and when the pixels on your screen actually turn to green.

I wouldn't discount the time it takes to actually *press the button* or for that signal to travel to back to the app. I haven't looked at the link closely, so no idea if they actually account for that lag. No doubt, the largest part of the lag is in the reaction time of the humam, between "seeing" and "reponse".

I would bet though, it takes a very little amount of time for your brain to see and process what you're seeing on screen (once it is on the screen).

Back