"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Farid, Sep 1, 2007.

1. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Most likely, Square hair.
    http://supernovo.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Lightning-Demo.png
    http://drunkengamersuk.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034725928.jpg
    http://assets.rpgsite.net/images/images/000/010/618/original/13207.jpg

As for FF15, they are really coming close to Advent Children in regard to look of the characters. Great stuff, same as with Agni's Philosophy.
    http://www.agnisphilosophy.com/files/img/philosophy/screenshots/original_a.jpg

2. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

I don't have the models yet or the figures. They might be landing at the 20k mark (viewing the models as a whole with gear) Don't know for sure. The only up to date title that i can think of which had assets that originated from the Fox engine was MGR, in which case it had in game assets entering 20k. (Raiden is also a playable character in the bonus mission from GZ.)

I'll post the figures of GZ whenever the models are up for grabs.

I read that also from here. I was actually going to post it up. that's a little over 10x the amount of polygons from FFXIII. 100k poly characters rendered in open world landscapes, almost tempted to already crown this game king of current gen. that's an amazing bar for the consoles. And the graphics do feel pretty close to FFVII Advent Children to be honest.

[​IMG]

This is about the only close up of Noctis's wire frame i could get for gameplay.

[​IMG]

It's a messy screen grab but during motion you can't see any spaces for his head mesh, it seems pretty dense.

Now of course these pictures weren't exactly taken from the consoles or the demo that will be playable, the footage of FFXV was from their computers running the luminous 1.4 engine. Which is still ongoing in their latest city walkthrough vid, showing unfinished level design.

Anways, Here's a target Game play shot of Noctis from last video.

[​IMG]

It does look great If I do say so for in game. great lighting. Fingers crossed on the 100k characters to stick in the demo and retail.

3. TheWretched

Regular

I just hope they get the IQ up. Some of the recent videos (the car driving around) had some horrible aliasing. There are ways to remove those and NOT destroy the rest of the image. Use them.

4. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

If the costs of higher fidelity doesn't effect in game assets then sure. I would just go with some effective multisampling. FFXV is a big opportunity for square to closely reach Advent Children's characters, i'd hate to see this opportunity pushed over to the next game, whenever that may be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alien Isolation

Ellen Ripley - 39,283 polygons
    Parker - 27,756 polygons
    Ash - 20,635 polygons
    Joan Lambert - 28,854 polygons
    Samuels - 29,590 polygons
    Taylor (without glasses) - 39,646 polygons

video down below of Alien Isolation models.

Big credit to cra0kalo, for the video. Really big credit to The Creative Assembly for the game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry christmas eve to all of you guys, may your hopes and dreams come true! make good choices!

#1624 COPS N RAPPERS, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    London-boy likes this.
  5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I wonder how many polygons the Alien is

6. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Just happened upon a nice example of how current models usually look like, I thought it might be interesting for you guys.

[​IMG]
    You can see how he uses triangles in a mostly quad mesh to add or remove detail. Here's the forum thread with more images and explanation of the workflow:
    http://www.cgfeedback.com/cgfeedback/showthread.php?t=6596#posts

AlBran and Alucardx23 like this.
  7. xaeroxcore

Newcomer

Thanks for that DC numbers! the playable model seems to be no more different, though. Can you please reveal the DC raziel model of soul reaver numbers?... Cheers!!

8. xaeroxcore

Newcomer

If the final game will have this aspect on consoles....it will be for sure the truly first next gen game...it would have the technological impact that the first Gears of War has for the last console gen, back in 2006, and it will be traduced on a new standard for visuals on games!

9. EsppiraK

Newcomer

[​IMG]

xaeroxcore likes this.
  10. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

More news on FFXV just came up. pushing for 1080p 30fps as well.

Part 1 Of Translated Interview.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest can be found [here].

Impressive stuff.

11. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

Holy dense wireframe, Batman!

AlBran likes this.
  12. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

This could officially be on @Shifty Geezer's 'games that look like CGI' thread, where he's getting his little perky bum kicked by @Laa-Yosh , aka God.

Just saying' :runaway:

13. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

Heh, you should see some of our faces. JM is like 40K quads, we had a madly talented guy on him. F**ing hate the corporation, hell yeah :)

London-boy likes this.
  14. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Whose JM?

15. TomRL

Newcomer

Anyone know Joel's poly count? I've always been searching but never found anything on it.

16. Laa-Yosh

Legend Subscriber

I've just realized that our involvement is not public yet so I'd rather not say more.

Except that it shouldn't be that hard to figure it out...

17. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Your involvement is now public. :yes:

18. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

19. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

#1639 COPS N RAPPERS, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    AlBran and EsppiraK like this.
  20. COPS N RAPPERS

Regular

Assassin's Creed.

Assassn's Creed IV: Black Flag - Edward Kenway - 39,936 polygons

A real surprise for Edward considering how his arms are so edgy. His outfit contains a mixture of extra modeld asstes like buckles, buttons and some extra polys tracing his jacket. you can see in the shots below.

Example 1
    Example 2

reference picture to compare.

Assassin's Creed V: Unity - Arno Kenway - 57,356 polygons

Arno's Outfits range from 35k and up. his default outfit alone (without head model) is 44,997 polygons. for in-game cutscenes characters shoot past the 300k mark using high resolution hair LOD models. The hair LODs in particular are also treated differently than the character models them selves.

Unfortunately since these models are a separate format they weren't successfully extracted fully, but here are some samples below to show how high they are while in an incomplete state.

Example 1
    Example 2

Big Credit to milance941 and Loris for these models.

AlBran likes this.