XNA tilts video-game advantage to Microsoft?

archie4oz said:
Sony is countering Microsoft's XNA.Please,drop the subject already.It is becoming insanely obnoxious and ridiculous when it really shouldn't be.

They are? I've got a lot more inside info than you do, and this "XNA counter" news to me... :? Besides you're the one that brought it up...

.They are building something like DirectX (their own version,basically)

What makes you think it'll be like DirectX? Who's to say it won't be like Allegro or SDL? ;)

YES,....they are.

Job Type: Full Time
The Position:
PlayStation® Senior Software Engineer – San Diego, CA

"Sony Computer Entertainment America is seeking a PlayStation® Senior Software Engineer. Join a team creating the system software to power Sony’s PlayStation® games. Be a key developer on Sony’s response to DirectX, working closely with our online and 3d group. Inspire a team to create the world’s best game system software.

Qualifications:
• Looking for the top 2% in the game business.
• Track record of creating leading game technology
• 10+ years experience in Asm, C, C++
• 5+ years experience in heavy duty game system programming
• TD or Lead engineer in 1+ technically brilliant title
• Excellent planning/documentation skills mandatory
• Japanese a plus

Offering an exceptional benefits plan which includes Comprehensive Medical Plan, Paid Time Off & Holidays, Bonus Program & 401(k) Retirement Plan. EEO."

Now,are you going to proceed with this nonsense or are you going to face the fact that Sony is counting Microsoft by building a DirectX version of their own for games/PS3 only?Although DirectX is only a marketing name,it is a popular name,which is why it is being used.It is like Windows compared to Linux.Although the both are OS,one is more popular than the other,which gets the point across a helluva lot quicker.

EDIT:My guess is you probably thought my interpretation of DirectX was the name of the software that makes development easy and fast because of the way I use the term when it is actually the opposite.Microsoft built XNA.Microsoft built DirectX.Microsoft is competing with Sony,no one else (as in outside the gaming market).Therefore,Sony is countering what they are/plan to do with the next Xbox.XNA is a little different from DirectX because it chains the computer enviroment with the Xbox console,as so we heard.Sony doesn't want this,I'm assuming.That is PC all over again.Which explains why XNA wasn't mentioned - but DirectX,instead.

I got the impression that Microsoft is going to provide alot more than just a graphics API. If they could provide a solid middle ware solution they could indeed shorten development time for developers and get an edge on Sony.

Cheers
Gubbi

Gubbi said:
I got the impression that Microsoft is going to provide alot more than just a graphics API. If they could provide a solid middle ware solution they could indeed shorten development time for developers and get an edge on Sony.

Cheers
Gubbi

Sony might already be ahead of them,seeing how I've read an artical about IBM building Sony's OS and workstaion while Sony supplies everything else,including the middleware for the PS3.But,lets step back in reality and say they aren't.Seeing how Microsoft is a software company,I wouldn't be surprised if this happen to be their next step.

Spider, the thing here is, u're talking like u're Sony CEO, when all the information you have is extrapolated from this forum and other websites. And you have people here telling you that maybe you should be careful about you say because they are IN the industry therefore know much more than you do.

Just a thought. I'm not calling you a blind mindless fanboi, but u're pretty much borderline here, and this is from someone who does have a preference for Sony and is happy to admit it.

Gubbi said:
WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO LONDON-BOY??!?!?!?

:D

Cheers
Gubbi

LB has been terminated. I have taken his place. Moved into his house, use his stuff, have sex with his sex partners (which i still have to find anyway, i should have asked him before terminating him), eat his food, hang with his friends.

I can be serious-y sometimes! :LOL:

london-boy said:
Spider, the thing here is, u're talking like u're Sony CEO, when all the information you have is extrapolated from this forum and other websites. And you have people here telling you that maybe you should be careful about you say because they are IN the industry therefore know much more than you do.

Just a thought. I'm not calling you a blind mindless fanboi, but u're pretty much borderline here, and this is from someone who does have a preference for Sony and is happy to admit it.

I realize not everything will be completed at the end,but if Sony is reporting it,chances are they're looking into it.

Spidermate said:
I realize not everything will be completed at the end,but if Sony is reporting it,chances are they're looking into it.

See, doesn't that feel better? Being objective and realistic instead of a pre-programmed drone...? ;)

ERP said:
Please don't make jokes about this sort of thing.
Who said anything about joking :p? When I first started work on PS2, I found the other programmer using a text editor (ok, so it wasn't vi, it was an editor he wrote himself in DOS -_-), and of course there was nothing else but 'cc' you could actually use in 99.
Granted after I got there I forced the switch to MSDev, but still.

After the step backwards the PS2 tools were over PS1, it wouldn't surprise me if with PS3 we were back toggling code in from the front panel.
:LOL: Was about to say something about punch cards here, but Archie already stole that joke.

vliw said:
If you complain about vi try codewarrior....home of bugs
I might have done that if their compiler functionality was up to scratch on time - but it took them too long to get there, so I dismissed it before even trying.
Anyway, on that note, vi is hard to use, but it's Not buggy.

Tuttle said:
The IDE + performance analysis tools are all anyone needs to put out commercial console product.
Nothing but pity to anyone who is stuck with the snsys crap.
I stick to MSDev integration with SNSys tools, and I would do the same if I had to use CW. I've neiher heard much good nor seen anything that would convince me otherwise as far as CW's IDE is concerned.

Anyway, I haven't kept updated on how CW tools are nowadays, but when I originally evaluated them(back in spring 2000), what they offered lacked key functionality afforded by commandline GCC, so there wasn't much to consider really.

london-boy said:
Spidermate said:

See, doesn't that feel better? Being objective and realistic instead of a pre-programmed drone...? ;)

It still defies the artical.Besides,I wouldn't be surprised if it did unfold seeing how the PS3 looks to be aiming for a mid 2006 window.

Anything listed in game development studio job listings usually have little relation to the actual position they are advertising for, and quite often don't even make sense. They are most often written by someone in the HR department who has no idea what the words they are using mean.

Tuttle said:
Anything listed in game development studio job listings usually have little relation to the actual position they are advertising for, and quite often don't even make sense. They are most often written by someone in the HR department who has no idea what the words they are using mean.

And that is valid for ANY job. Trust me. :? :D

Tuttle said:

:LOL: I'll believe that when I see it.

Spidermate said:
Tuttle said:

Well, as soon as you start looking for a job, u'll see what the world is like. And as i said, this is for ANY job of a certain level.

london-boy said:
Spidermate said:
Tuttle said:

Well, as soon as you start looking for a job, u'll see what the world is like. And as i said, this is for ANY job of a certain level.

I don't think you have to worry about that much seeing how I am far beyond that level. ;)

Spidermate said:
london-boy said:
Spidermate said:
Tuttle said:

I don't think you have to worry about that much seeing how I am far beyond that level. ;)

So u must live in a country where job, house, anything, advertising is actually honest. Doesn't work like that here.

london-boy said:
Spidermate said:
london-boy said:
Spidermate said:
Tuttle said:

So u must live in a country where job, house, anything, advertising is actually honest. Doesn't work like that here.

If you say so.I mean,you've assumed this much,right? :)

Spidermate said:

Huh? All i'm saying is that, at least here, and i expect in the US too, jobs are sometimes advertised in a very misleading way. People just get on with it though. And when you put in that the job advert had PR into it, then i wouldn't really put much faith into it. But hey, that's just me.

If thinking that Sony will magically come up with "their DX" makes you feel better, then great. I rather listen to people who work in the industry than trusting internet forums/reviews/articles.

london-boy said:
Spidermate said:

Huh? All i'm saying is that, at least here, and i expect in the US too, jobs are sometimes advertised in a very misleading way. People just get on with it though. And when you put in that the job advert had PR into it, then i wouldn't really put much faith into it. But hey, that's just me.

If thinking that Sony will magically come up with "their DX" makes you feel better, then great. I rather listen to people who work in the industry than trusting internet forums/reviews/articles.

We don't know if the PS3 will have Blu Ray or not,but because Sony has "magically" found a way to build a laser that is compatible with previous formats while some nosey news reporter slaps the news and his opinion onto his website,we assume that it couldn't be far from the truth.Yet,when something just as similiar comes up,but within Sony Co. this time,"Oh,it's just garbage being spouted to add another number to the employee count". Yeah... I tell you what,you trust what you read,and I'll trust what I read.That way neither of us is kicking the other in the backside. ;)

After reading the last few replies in this thread, I can't help but think that people aren't quite debating the same thing in here.

What is XNA?

I strongly assume Spidermate was looking at XNA purely from one perspective in which it will serve as some kind of API or middleware to make development easier, especially dealing with multiple threads over the six cores. That's why the pin-point reference to DirectX, as he pointed out.

Surely, it doesn't take an industry insider to see that Sony must be building something in that direction. No one is saying it is going to be just as sophisticated by any means.

Of course, one could nitpick at the fact that XNA goes much deeper than just being a DirectX successor (link) but that wasn't his point in the first place. If it was, I stand corrected.

Anyway, on those grounds, the job listing surely isn't a bad reference point to start... (continued below)

Tuttle said:

I find that quite surprising actually. I would think that such detailled job listings are usually exactly what they're looking for. Perhaps exagerated, but usually not too far from the truth - that's at least how it's been in the IT industry, at least overhere. I couldn't think of how it would actually benefit the company searching for an employee by using unrelated requirements. Surely if a word such as directX stands in the job-listing, there must be a reason as to why (why they would want to attract such people?) :?:

Just my two cents.

Back