XFX RMA Experience

ShaidarHaran

hardware monkey
Veteran
Just thought I'd share my excellent RMA experience here, in case any other XFX customers were hesitant to RMA their card if they ever needed to do so.

I purchased an XFX GTX 285 back in February (yeah for tax returns!). While games looked and ran great when they ran, I did experience the occasional graphical anomaly and even CTD. I was never able to o/c my card from stock speeds as it would fail ATI tool artifact test nearly right away. Eventually I decided to run said test at stock settings and whaddya know - same results. This prompted me to RMA the card.

Got my card back friday and installed yesterday. Finally rock-solid stable in ATI tool and I can actually overclock now! Got up to 691/1566/2646 (up from 648/1476/2484) with no artifacts and my 3dmark Vantage performance score went up to 15230 from 147xx. 3dmark 06 is completely CPU-bound now on my 4GHz E8400 (8x500) and stuck at about 177xx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thing ATI has someone decent in their stable now. That is a big reason I finally swapped back to nvidia after having an ATI card fail.

I don't understand the ATi AIB hate. Sure, the originals don't have "double lifetime warranty" yadda yadda (I don't really care to be honest). I never had to RMA a ATi card, but I did buy a Sapphire HD 4850 Toxic that came with a used 3Dmark vantage CD key. Called them, they emailed me a valid key in literally 3 minutes. Friend had to RMA a HIS HD 3850, and he got a new one no questions asked in a timely fashion.

Just hit EVGA SSC speeds @ 702/1584/1646 and broke over 10k in Vantage High setting. Man this card is fast. My roommate's 4870X2 on 3.33GHz Core I7 920 barely out-benches my rig.

LOL you're probably right, but then I wouldn't be happy at all.

So I've been browsing the ORB this morning just out of curiosity and it dawned on me - I have the highest single GPU score in the high settings category. I'm over 1000 points ahead of the next closest guy and he's got an i7 @ 3.6GHz and also a GTX 285. Gotta love sheer clockspeed :p

Gotta go re-run and submit, linkage forthcoming.

Back