xbox360=nintendo revolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kopio0

Newcomer
interesting gossip over at gaming-age....
of course its highly dreaming bullshit... but i don't see many people will think of owning 3 home systems... and i don't see revolution as developers' 1st choice nor do i think nintendo is capable of providing enough quality software themselve to complete. it just looks quite bad for nintendo...

Yes it looks quite bad for Nintendo doesn't it? I think they should get out of the hardware biz and concentrate on software so they can make massive profits like SEGA is doing now. :LOL:

Oh no, Nintendo is doomed, they have always made a profit untill now! What are they going to do with their massive multi-billion warchest?

Seriously, Nintendo is commited to the hardware part of the industry, Nintendo either stays or dies, something I doub will happen soon since the market can really support more than two players.

I heard somewhere that Nintendo made twice as much profit as Sony (I assume its only the playstation part of Sony and not the whole company) in the last year.

If nintendo did make that much moer then SONY, it was simply because they had a monopoly in the hand held market. Now did nintendo make as much as sony strictly in the conolse market? God no, not a chance.

When talking about how much money each company makes, it's a logical move to segment the markets into Console & Handheld-portable. As a company nintendo makes LOTS of money off toys and licensing of it's characters (don't forget the cards with pokemon). That's a segment of the arket that sony doesn't comptete in at all. look at it this way, it doesn't make sense to include ALL of the money nintendo made from other markets and not do the same for Sony.

As I've always said, a good presence in the console market is essential to being a success in the handheld market. So its no good looking at there profits separately and saying one should be dropped because its not as profitable as the other.

That said how many first party games have Nintendo sold on GC? 55 million?, 60 million?, something in that range. Thats around 2.5-3 billion dollars in revenue before we even start on third party license fees or memory cards, or extra controllers ect ect. GC has been at either making a small profit or making a small loss for the whole generation. Also Nintendo are not big on advertising or spending huge budgets in there games so its safe to say that they have made big profits on GC this generation.

When talking about how much money each company makes, it's a logical move to segment the markets into Console & Handheld-portable. As a company Nintendo makes LOTS of money off toys and licensing of it's characters (don't forget the cards with pokemon).

The Pokemon company deal with that, so those profits won't be included in Nintendo's own earnings.

satriales said:
I heard somewhere that Nintendo made twice as much profit as Sony (I assume its only the playstation part of Sony and not the whole company) in the last year.

I saw this on PGC: DFC Intelligence

Market Leaders Report

The seventeen companies in the report reported fiscal 2004 revenue of $24.5 billion, down 3% from fiscal 2003. So far fiscal 2005 revenue is up 3%. The four leading companies, Sony, Nintendo, Electronic Arts and Microsoft, dominate the market and reported fiscal 2004 revenue of $16.7 million. In terms of revenue, Sony is the clear market leader, having generated $45 billion in game related revenue from fiscal 1998 through 2004. However, Nintendo has been the most profitable company, earning about $7 billion in operating income from fiscal 1998 to fiscal 2004, compared with about $4.5 billion for Sony (from its games division) and $1.8 billion for Electronic Arts. Microsoft is clearly an up-and-coming powerhouse, although the company has reported heavy losses from its games division.

edit: It was already posted here

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21883&highlight=dfc

making profits now is good but its the future that worries people... its quite similar to european soccer i think, score hattricks of goals this season and u are the hero. score a few goals the season next and and out u go... :devilish:

Not a very good comparison kopio0. The fact is Nintendo have never made a loss over the space of a year. Their profits are as good as ever. If that then leads to the assumption that Nintendo are in trouble then god help Sony, Microsoft, and everyone else in the games industry.

BTW, look at EA there. They are the biggest pure games publisher in the world (pure meaning they only make games and not hardware). The unstoppable monster that everyone talks about as being so amazingly successful. Yet their profits are dwarfed by that of Nintendo's. THAT is the difference between being a huge games publisher for other people's consoles/handhelds and being a massive games publisher with your own consoles/handhelds.

Teasy said:
BTW, look at EA there. They are the biggest pure games publisher in the world (pure meaning they only make games and not hardware). The unstoppable monster that everyone talks about as being so amazingly successful. Yet their profits are dwarfed by that of Nintendo's. THAT is the difference between being a huge games publisher for other people's consoles/handhelds and being a massive games publisher with your own consoles/handhelds.

Excellent point Teasy.

Clearly Nintendo is good in moneymaking. They make their platforms and games cheaply and they sell well, thus they make alot of money. However Nintendo is not very good capturing marketshare/appealing to masses, ofcourse they don't need that because they have their loyal followers who will continue buyig Nintendo products no matter what.

Nintendo is not in trouble I'm sure they will continue making lot's of money.

I think nintendo will on top agian one day, becuase they are the only ones that innovate, they were the first with shoulder buttons, anolog sticks, and they will take the risk on something new like the ds connecting with the gamecube to play games.

That and I think if microsoft can't take over the market they will probally drop out at some point and I don't think sony will hang around much if they don't have the market share they want either

...and what about just the last 5 years? Or 4 years for that matter. Has nintendo made more profit then sony? I wasn't going as far back as 1998 with what I was saying...

If you go back to 1982 I'm sure nintendo would have made far more profit in the game sector compared to sony.

Teasy said:
What if EA launches its own console? :LOL:

This poll from gamefaqs taken a few weeks ago shows that nintendo might do a lot better next gen.

How many of the next generation of consoles do you plan to buy right now?

All three of them 13.01% 7236

Just two of them 24.03% 13368

Just one - PlayStation 3 26.56% 14773

Just one - Xbox Next/2/360 8.79% 4892

Just one - Nintendo Revolution 16.42% 9134

None of them 11.19% 6225

TOTAL VOTES 55628

http://www.gamefaqs.com/poll/index.html?poll=1962

Teasy said:
What if EA launches its own console?

What do you mean if? :) I think thats the next logical step for EA. Once they have enough money and the market is conducive to it anyway.

So after Sony goes bankrupt, Nintendo becomes a pachinko company, and Microsoft is the only game in town, it can be EA versus Microsoft? Good lord, think of the mediocrity!

EA is not going to launch it's own console, they have said time and agian that they'd rather not take that risk, and hell, they make plenty of money on their software. Plus with the NFL/NCAA contracts they have the hardware companies by the balls, I expect some pretty sweet royalty deals for EA which is only going to improve the bottom line. EA has no reason to enter the hardware side of things.

EA has no reason to enter the hardware side of things

Profits and company growth will be there reason. Yeah they're making great profits ATM but its a fraction of what Nintendo or Sony make in this business (despite the fact that EA are the biggest games publisher in the world already). There will come a time when moving into hardware is the next big step for them IMO. I know they don't want to take the risk now, I agree they'd be stupid too ATM. As I said this will only happen once they have sufficient funds and when the market is conducive to the move. I'm not saying I think it will happen soon, it may be two generations from now. But I think it will happen eventually, unless things go tits up over at EA in the next 10 years.

Teasy said:
EA has no reason to enter the hardware side of things

Profits and company growth will be there reason. Yeah they're making great profits ATM but its a fraction of what Nintendo or Sony make in this business (despite the fact that EA are the biggest games publisher in the world already). There will come a time when moving into hardware is the next big step for them IMO. I know they don't want to take the risk now, I agree they'd be stupid too ATM. As I said this will only happen once they have sufficient funds and when the market is conducive to the move. I'm not saying I think it will happen soon, it may be two generations from now. But I think it will happen eventually, unless things go tits up over at EA in the next 10 years.

I would say now would be good.
They have several major movie licenses, many strong brands that they either own or publish, plus having football locked up(and other sports?) is enough to basically hand the American market market to EA. Then they'll make a decent showing in Europe and.....well probably a better showing than Microsoft in Japan.

On the other hand, their own brands could be stronger, but EA doesn't really seem to care about strengthening brands, certainly the movie licenses are milked. Timesplitters, Def Jam, Burnout, Battlefield, SSX, EA has plenty of licenses that could be made very big and into system sellers. If they can make these licenses into AAA games by the end of next gen, it would be good footing for the gen after that. Think of how much better xbox or gamecube could have done if they launched with all the major games from the n64.(or look at sony, or very early on had sequels to most of the big psx games)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back