XBox Ultimate Game Sales, Summer of Arcade

Trials features

Unreal for a 1200 point game. this game truly deserves its own thread though. ;)

*WARNING LONG*

Game features:
  • Two game modes: Trials Racing and Skill Games.
  • In Trials Racing you have to pass various obstacle filled tracks by doing as few faults as possible. Scores with equal faults are separated by time, so it's essential to get to the goal as fast as possible.
  • In Skill Games you have to ride in various extreme circumstances doing deadly stunts and tricks. For example riding inside a huge giant ball, hauling a cart filled with explosives or tumbling down stairs to break some bones. There's 12 different skill games present.
  • 51 tracks total separated in 5 difficulty levels (beginner, easy, medium, hard, extreme).
  • 8 tournaments: Tournament is a series of tracks played in a row, one after other. Your score is the time and faults of all tracks in the tournament added together.
  • 8 different bikes: 5 trials racing bikes and 3 special skill game bikes. Beginner bikes are slower, but much easier to ride, while the advanced bikes require lots of skill to master.
  • 12 challenging and fun achievements. Gamer picture rewards.
  • As you pass the tracks, you unlock new difficulty levels, new bikes, new skill games, new tournaments and hidden bonus features.
  • Each track has goal times and goal maximum faults. You are awarded with medals (bronze, silver, gold, platinum) as you pass the tracks and improve your scores.
  • You can customize your bikes and your rider outlook in the garage. Other players watching your replays online see your customized rider/bike.
  • Zero loading times (level and menu screen openings). All game content is loaded to the Xbox 360 memory at startup. No waiting required!
  • Fast restart feature allows you to restart the track instantaneously with a single button press either to the track start or to the last checkpoint visited. Non-stop action!
  • Checkpoint interval times show how much behind/ahead are you compared to your best run in the track.
  • Local session track leaderboards allow party playing using multiple local (offline) profiles.
  • Supports Xbox Live downloadable premium content. Content packs can include new tracks (racing & skill), new tournaments, new achievements and new level editor objects.

Online features:
  • Each trials racing track, skill game track and tournament has it's own global online leaderboard.
  • Total ranking leaderboard is combined by adding the scores of all the 55 separate leaderboards together.
  • The best run of 5000 top players in each leaderboard has a downloadable replay. Replays show control input of the player, so others can learn by watching replays of the best.
  • Nearest friends leaderboard and their global ranking shown in level selector menu. It's easy and fast to keep up with your online rivals.
  • Friend scores system allows real time in-game comparison of your current run and all your friend's best runs.
  • Friend scores in racing tracks: At top of the screen you see a meter showing how much behind or ahead you are compared to the currently closest friend's top score.
  • Friend scores in skill games: Markers with friends' gamertags can be seen around the level showing the positions the friends have reached in the track on their best runs.
  • All Trials HD online features are fully accessible with the free Xbox Live silver membership.

Physics features:
  • Advanced physics engine allows very realistic 3d physics simulation and full physics interaction between game objects.
  • Complex physics obstacles such as various vehicles, suspension bridges, elevators, explosion chains, huge structures falling down, etc.
  • Objects break into pieces on intense pressure or impact.
  • Over 100 different physics objects modeled to be as realistic as possible (weight contribution, friction setup, collision model and graphics outlook).
  • Realistic, very painful looking bike and rider (ragdoll) crashes. Damage to all rider body parts is simulated (including broken bones and body joints).

Graphics engine features:
  • Deferred renderer highly optimized for Xbox 360 architecture
  • Locked always 60 fps (frames per second) tearless (vsynched) graphics output
  • Floating point high dynamic range (HDR) rendering
  • Real time per pixel phong lighting from all light sources
  • All objects and scenery cast dynamic soft shadows
  • Sophisticated 12 channel per pixel material system
  • Parallax mapping on all surfaces
  • Anisotropic filtering on all surfaces
  • Tone mapping emulating eye iris adjustment to lighting conditions
  • Post process filters: depth of field and overexposure light bloom
  • Advanced GPU powered particle engine (up to 10k+ particles per frame)
  • Particle per pixel lighting, dynamic shadows and proper depth ordering
  • Sophisticated custom material and geometry compression algorithms allow uncompromized texture and object quality

Level editor:
  • Fully featured level editor that offers you all the same tools, objects and physics features we have used in built in tracks.
  • All the built in tracks have been done with exactly the same editor. You can create extremely complex levels if you like.
  • Level editor has "simple mode" for beginners, making it easier for new players to start creating their own levels.
  • Glue feature allows you to form complex physics objects by combining multiple simple objects.
  • Editor has a good selection of physics constraints: axis, hinge, slider and point-to-point (hard and soft). You can for example build your own vehicles using these.
  • You can place triggers around your level. Triggers can be used to activate object physics, to activate object animation or to break/explode objects.
  • Camera control objects can be placed around the level to create nice cinematic camera angles.
  • You have full control over sun light properties (time of day, angle, color, ambient, etc) and dust properties. There's also a good selection of light sources you can place around your level.
  • You can set medal goal times and fault limits for your own track (bronze, silver, gold, platinum).

Level Sharing:
  • Share your own tracks with your Xbox Live friends by using the online track sharing functionality.
  • Just a single click and the track is shared. You do not need to wait for your friends to be online at the same time as you are.
  • You can browse and download the tracks shared by all your friends whenever you want, even if your friends are not online.
  • You can play the downloaded tracks and save them to your Xbox hard drive and your Xbox memory units.
  • Level sharing is fully accessible with the free Xbox Live silver membership.

Sound and Music:
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
  • Sound dynamics adjusted by room size/shape (reverb) and object/camera motion (doppler)
  • Physics engine triggered material to material collision sounds
  • Voice overs by Brandon DiCamillo, Art Webb and Rake Yohn! (famous from TV shows such as Viva La Bam and Jackass)
  • High quality sound track

Trials racing track breakdown:
  • 4 tutorial tracks (one beginner, easy, medium and hard)
  • 6 beginner tracks
  • 6 easy tracks
  • 11 medium tracks
  • 8 hard tracks
  • 4 extreme tracks

Tournament breakdown:
  • Backyard Cup: 3 tracks (beginner)
  • National Bike Cup: 4 tracks (easy)
  • Regional Bike Cup: 4 tracks (easy)
  • Master's League: 5 tracks (medium)
  • World Cup: 5 tracks (medium)
  • World Championship: 10 tracks (hard)
  • Underground Cup: 5 tracks (hard)
  • Ultimate Endurance: 24 tracks (extreme)

Skill games:
  • Inside the Ball: Ride inside a giant iron ball. Try to roll the ball far as possible before you crash.
  • Ski Jump: Jump off a big ramp, bail out and fly as far as possible.
  • Ring of Fire: Fly through series of flaming rings using an afterburner. You get some extra fuel every time you pass a ring.
  • Delivery: Haul a cart filled with bombs. The further you reach in one minute time limit, the better score you get.
  • Down the Stairs: Bail out down the stairs and break as many bones as possible.
  • In Flames: The bike is on fire! If you ride slow the bike engine temperature rises, if you ride fast the bike engine temperature lowers. Don't let it overheat!
  • Target Hunt: Collect as many targets as possible in a two minute time limit.
  • Hill Climb: Climb the hill as high as possible.
  • Outside the Ball: Ride on top of a giant iron ball. Try roll the ball as far as possible without falling off the ball.
  • Infernal Pinball: Reach as high as possible inside a huge pinball machine. Don't forget to bail out at the end!
  • Flip Hunter: Make as many flips as possible in a two minute time limit.
  • Loose Screw: The bike front wheel bolt is loose. If the wheel touches the ground it gets more and more loose and finally detaches. Wheelie as far as possible.

Bike controls:
  • Accelerate: Right analog trigger or A button
  • Brake: Left analog trigger or X button
  • Leaning: Left analog stick or dpad
  • Bail out: Y button
  • During bail out - grab objects: Y button (hold)
  • During bail out - fly: Left analog stick
  • Fast reset (track): Back button
  • Fast reset (checkpoint): B button

Boosters:
  • Afterburner: Collectable booster. Attachs a rocket thruster to the bike. Lasts for 3 seconds. Hidden in several levels.
  • Ejection seat: Ejection seat is attached to the bike in many skill game modes. Ejection seat boosts bail out power immensely.

Bikes:
  • Turtle 80cc: Turtle is your first bike. It's really easy to handle, but like it's name tells you, it's not really fast.
  • Reptile 125cc: Reptile is a good bike for learning the basics of the game. It's both faster and more responsive than Turtle.
  • Scorpion 250cc: Scorpion has the best top speed, excellent shock absorbers, pretty powerful brakes and acceleration, but it's a bit heavy.
  • Phoenix EVO 250cc: Ultra light weight pro Trials bike. Hydraulic brakes, super responsive and quick to accelerate, but it's top speed is slightly lower than Scorpion's.
  • Micro Donkey 60cc: This bonus bike is very small and light, but almost too responsive. For professional boneheads only!
  • Hauler 600cc: This heavyweight bike is custom made for hauling big carts (filled with bombs!).
  • Phoenix REV 250cc: A mad max style stunt bike. This bike is custom made for riding on top of giant iron balls. It's reverse gear is as powerful as it's forward gear.
  • Scorpion AIR 125cc: A custom made ski jump bike. Comes with a pair of "MADDNESS" skis.

Unlockables:
  • Easy difficulty + Reptile bike: Pass three beginner tracks
  • Medium difficulty + Scorpion bike: Pass three easy tracks
  • Hard difficulty + Phoenix EVO bike: Pass three medium tracks
  • Extreme difficulty: Pass three hard tracks
  • Micro Donkey bike: Pass "National Bike Cup" tournament with a gold medal result
  • Platinum Club: Pass one extreme track (this unlocks the hidden platinum medal track time/fault limits)
  • Skill game "Delivery": Pass one beginner track with a gold medal result
  • Skill game "Down the Stairs": Pass two beginner tracks with gold medal results
  • Skill game "In Flames": Pass three beginner tracks with gold medal results
  • Skill game "Target Hunt": Pass one easy track with a gold medal result
  • Skill game "Hill Climb": Pass two easy tracks with gold medal results
  • Skill game "Giant Ball Outside": Pass three easy tracks with gold medal results
  • Skill game "Infernal Pinball": Pass one medium track with a gold medal result
  • Skill game "Flip Hunter": Pass two easy medium with gold medal results
  • Skill game "Loose Screw": Pass three medium tracks with gold medal results
  • Tournaments: Pass all tracks in any of the eight tournaments to unlock that tournament

Achievements:

Just bought TrialsHD, it's very addictive! I like that it shows people on your friends list in the time bar, it lets me see NavNuc smoke me at yet another game :( Good stuff, congrats sebbbi.

Just bought TrialsHD.

Me too man this game is kicking my but. I'm currently playing the medium tracks and the one named "let's get physical" is already pretty damn hard to go through without mistakes. I bet playing this game is going to be hugely fun among my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too man this game is kicking my but. I'm currently playing the medium tracks and the one named "let's get physical" is already pretty damn hard to go through without mistakes. I bet playing this game is going to be hugely fun among my friends.

There is one hard track I cannot beat and I managed to get through one extreme track. Watching the replays of other people is a huge help if you get stuck. Still, the game definitely caters to the spectrum of players, including the intensely hardcore fans.

So far my leaderboard only has Robert on it, and it's split pretty even.

My goal this weekend is to beat the last hard track and two of the extreme tracks.

btw, sebbi, I can honestly say I have never cussed out anyone more than you and I've never even met you! It's to a point where "fuck you sebbi!" just rolls right out. Great game man.

Nice demo, looks very nice. Easy to pick up but requires some skill. Seems like a killer leaderboard game and I like seeing how I compare "realtime" against my friends' list best times. Having a full blown carnage mode open from the start where doing as much damage as possible would have been pretty cool use of the ragdoll and grabbing/ejecting to get the perfect angle.

Of course the first thought I had when I saw the game is, "Excitebike... this game needs MP!" I guess it is my loss being a MP focused gamer, but having a "4 deep" track setup (up/down to change lanes, ala Excitebike) would have been amazing. Being able to race and beat up on your friends realtime would have been an instant buy at $30 even.

Maybe for Trials 2? A modern Excitebike with all your features (coarse maker woot!) and MP play (even on same console) would be one of those uber approachable/social games that goes as long as deep as you want. If it included new terrain types (e.g. outdoor, stadiums) that could certainly qualify as a $60 full title. I *would* buy that day 1 if it played as smooth and great as Trials. MP is really the only thing I can say this game lacks, which is pretty amazing for an Arcade game. Great job!

Sebbbi, your wheelie hop between those three pipes in Inferno2 is inhuman. I hate you. Oh, and you've lost some of your leaderboard spots. I think you should be working to reclaim some of those.

Btw, took a look at the track editor and it is very deep in advanced mode. Hopefully I can actually build something good, but I don't think I could actually build an extreme level track. That difficulty level is out of my league, for now.

You should have some kind of track building competition, and some DLC.

Oooooooooh... Thanks for that heads up. Saves me from having to buy points. Now just have to find some time to actually be able to play a game.

Is something like this pretty common for XBLA games? Would love to get Splosion man and the upcoming Shadow Complex, but haven't been motivated to buy points to get them.

Regards,
SB

IGN didn't like it because they thought it was too difficult. The game basically requires at least 10 hours of training before you should start to play the hardest tracks.

Pretty good vibe on Rebel FM and Gamespy Debriefings (though both times by the same guy). He did say that he thought it was the best of the Summer of Arcade games.

:) Cool to hear guys.

On a very different note... Serious Sam HD Trailer:

[gt]54243[/gt]

Sweet, Croteam does Doom better than than Id... Id should have gotten Croteam to do Doom 3. :) Well other than the bright and cheerful visuals. :(

Man I wasted many a multiplayer hour on Serious Sam I and II. Engine 3? I wonder if there's a Serious Sam III in the works?

Regards,
SB

Beat Inferno II. Took me forever. No way I'm getting that last achievement, Marathon - 24 track tournament that you have to complete without a single fault. :LOL:

Nice demo, looks very nice. Easy to pick up but requires some skill. Seems like a killer leaderboard game and I like seeing how I compare "realtime" against my friends' list best times. Having a full blown carnage mode open from the start where doing as much damage as possible would have been pretty cool use of the ragdoll and grabbing/ejecting to get the perfect angle.

Of course the first thought I had when I saw the game is, "Excitebike... this game needs MP!" I guess it is my loss being a MP focused gamer, but having a "4 deep" track setup (up/down to change lanes, ala Excitebike) would have been amazing. Being able to race and beat up on your friends realtime would have been an instant buy at $30 even.

Maybe for Trials 2? A modern Excitebike with all your features (coarse maker woot!) and MP play (even on same console) would be one of those uber approachable/social games that goes as long as deep as you want. If it included new terrain types (e.g. outdoor, stadiums) that could certainly qualify as a $60 full title. I *would* buy that day 1 if it played as smooth and great as Trials. MP is really the only thing I can say this game lacks, which is pretty amazing for an Arcade game. Great job!

Ok, we did buy Trials HD and as much as I have an aversion to SP games this is an excellent game. The Skills games make for fun impromptu party games :D VERY accessible, but requires a boatload of skill as well. The instant respawn, check points, and map restarts are amazingly well done (something nearly every other game could learn from). Graphics are great for an arcade game. The leaderboards are exceptional (good bait to buy the game, great bait for continued play).

Looking forward to Trails 2: Multiplayer Mayhem :p

Looking forward to Trails 2: Multiplayer Mayhem :p

Trials HD is actually the seventh game in the series. The first four games (Trials 1 series) were browser games: Trials, Trials Pro, Trials Construction Yard and Trials Mountain Heights. Trials 2 was released for PC. It also had a sequel called Trials 2 Second Edition. We thought about naming Trials HD just Trials 3, but as the game was new for the console audience, we decided to save that name for later use.

Link to year old Trials 2 Second Edition YouTube trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY7usXt1F0A

Back