Xbox 360 Pro SKU EOL

I dunno, Elite dropping to 299 USD. I think I can spare the 4 USD for a 6 foot HDMI cable. Component cables on the other hand are much more expensive. :( Thankfully I no longer need component like I did when I got the X360 originally. Then again I haven't needed another X360 since launch.

Regards,
SB

I dunno, Elite dropping to 299 USD. I think I can spare the 4 USD for a 6 foot HDMI cable. Component cables on the other hand are much more expensive. :( Thankfully I no longer need component like I did when I got the X360 originally. Then again I haven't needed another X360 since launch.

Part of what made the Elite the Elite was that it came with a smorgasbord of cables, so I think it's saner to think of this as Pro turned black and gaining a larger HDD. It's still better value for your buck than the Pro was -- 120Gb HDDs are still more expensive than 360 Component cables.

The real issue is that the average consumer can't get hdmi cables for $4 where they are going to be buying the Elite.

Depending on where you buy them, Target will sell them to you for $20, Best Buy will try to sell it to you for $80, although they do have a $34 option.

Plus, you won't get the fancy digital optical dongle either unless you buy the MS HDMI cable.

I'm pretty disappointed with MS in the removal of the extra cables, but I can understand why they did it: the higher margins that DrJay mentioned. Yes, even with the majority of the customers still using standard TVs, they would have already known about that for some time. They probably figure that almost all the hardcore gamers who have HDTV have already bought a system & now it was time to go after the casual consumers that most likely won't. Kudos for MS for going after more profits, but the customer looses out here.

Tommy McClain

Hmmm, yeah just checked at Radio Shack and it seems they've stopped carrying the cheap generic HDMI cables that they used to have for about 6-7 USD.

Regards,
SB

That seems kind of stupid though. They should include the cables. Maybe they figure component is not high demand anymore, so they don't include them since they're selling the HDMI cable separately anyway. Still, seems like console should be HD ready out of the box.

Yup, hate this move.

The cables that come with 360 are very thick and HQ though. I always figured they must cost a pretty penny, by cable standards anyway. So I guess this was a costcutting move. Hate it though.

I also assume including the same cable in every box whether Elite or Arcade provides some modularity efficiencies.

Also if you only include one cable, seems to me it should be the HD one. I mean really, I would assume at least 70-80% of people who would buy a 360 are on HDTV, Mark Rein notwithstanding. I mean, it's hard to even find a SDTV in stores anymore. And youd have to assume someone who buy a 360 is more tech inclined by far than "average". I can see the justification for the supposedly low end Arcade being SD cable, but not the Elite.

Anyways as to the SKU rejiggering, it bears out the Ars mole again. It's a good move. I wonder still how things will shake out for Fall 09. I wonder if 360 can get away with no real price cut as I'm expecting. A lot depends on what Sony ends up at.

Also if you only include one cable, seems to me it should be the HD one. I mean really, I would assume at least 70-80% of people who would buy a 360 are on HDTV, Mark Rein notwithstanding. I mean, it's hard to even find a SDTV in stores anymore. And youd have to assume someone who buy a 360 is more tech inclined by far than "average". I can see the justification for the supposedly low end Arcade being SD cable, but not the Elite....

Gotta disagree on the 70-80%. I think a lot of kids would have the 360 in their bedroom or basement or some other room that would have a secondary tv. The percentage of primary(living room/home theater) tvs that are HDTV might be in that range, but I think the 50% number that Epic quoted for Gears of War is probably correct. I think SD cable standard is probably the best bet, because it works everywhere. The home theater junkies with the HDTVs will know where to get an HDMI cable anyway, or if they're buying it with the TV the salesperson will no doubt inform them of the overpriced Monster Cable they "HAVE!" to own.

If Sony does a drop to $300, then I can understand why MS has done this. Maybe they're anticipating this and waiting for Sony to drop the price so they can too. $180 Arcade and a $280 Elite would be cool. Can't see how the Elite can compete much longer with a PS3 at the same price.

Tommy McClain

Also if you only include one cable, seems to me it should be the HD one. I mean really, ...

Ugh! doesn´t sound like a wise move to me, I mean forcing an extra cost on SDTV owners that otherwise is bringing home a non-working console. At least HDTV owners can connect the console to the TV and they are also likely less cost sensitive compared to SDTV-owners.

But yeah it´s strange that they are downgrading their premium SKU, but there may be a price war looming and costs must be cut somewhere. If Sony is bringing the PS3 to the $299 price point, they may feel a pressure to reduce the price.

If Sony does a drop to $300, then I can understand why MS has done this. Maybe they're anticipating this and waiting for Sony to drop the price so they can too. $180 Arcade and a $280 Elite would be cool. Can't see how the Elite can compete much longer with a PS3 at the same price.

Tommy McClain

They should have the same hard drive size too. Since the PS3 slim is supposed to be 120GB. But you're getting Blu Ray with the PS3.

We'll see though. Theres no guarantee PS3 slim is actually going to be 299. It could be 349 or even 399.

I'm also figuring a 20 drop might be in the cards for 360. 179/279. Maybe not though.

Looking at "average selling price" I think this will already be a drop from MS's end. The last ASP data NPD gave for 360 was $270 (with 199/299/399 pricing). At 199/299, the ASP will probably be between $240-$250 (my educated assumption is that the ratio between Arcade/Elite will be around 50-50, but probably a bit more Arcade). If they drop to 180/280, then the ASP probably goes slightly north of the midway point 230. Which would theoretically be a +$40 cut from MS end if that old ASP is still accurate, for only a $20 nominal cut.

I remember my friend bought the Pro back in summer 09 when it was 349 with a 20GB HDD. I warned him cuts/bigger HDD's were coming. We still talk about it from time to time. Shortly after he purchased MS cut the pro to 299, increased to 60GB, and threw in two games in the holiday bundle. Soon 299 (50 less than he paid) will be at 120Gb with a fall two game bundle again. Or the 60GB is currently 239 at Dell.

Also, retailers forced the end of the Elite sku on MS. They didnt want to take up shelf space with the slowest selling unit. Surprising it lasted this long. Three sku's is just too much.

You could get a generic HDMI cable + optical dongle for about $20 and it works exactly like the MS one no resetting and no HDCP issues. I'm really surprised not more aftermarket companies make/sell the dongle separately.

Squillam - Wireless what? The remote says wireless, but its been wireless on all versions for a while. My arcade came with a wireless remote, and none of the boxes to my knowledge had an indication for wireless internet because none of them came with it.

Wireless... internet! I was wondering if they were going to get around to adding that feature at some point. I understand that the Xbox 360 is essentially a faraday cage and very hostile to 2.4Ghz wireless signals. However if they were making a hardware change, say for instance making the PSU internal due to a shorter PCB because of the Valhalla chipset they could get around to it.

IMO it would help entice people to get the $300 Elite over the cheaper Arcade, especially if the price delta is > than the cost of an Arcade + HDD.

Wireless... internet! I was wondering if they were going to get around to adding that feature at some point. I understand that the Xbox 360 is essentially a faraday cage...
That hasn't stopped Wii or PS3. WiFi is also shown as an accessory to buy, so there's no hardware change here. Just a drop of the Pro.

Tommy McClain

I don't think this will come with a price-cut, not right away anyway. Maybe if Sony's move starts eating into their lead, or if Nintendo comes out with a price-cut that makes the Arcade no longer the cheapest console, but otherwise I don't think they're too worried.

That hasn't stopped Wii or PS3. WiFi is also shown as an accessory to buy, so there's no hardware change here. Just a drop of the Pro.

Another simple and easy solution to the supposed Faraday cage is to just screw the antenna on from the backside like a wireless router.

Ugh! doesn´t sound like a wise move to me, I mean forcing an extra cost on SDTV owners that otherwise is bringing home a non-working console. At least HDTV owners can connect the console to the TV and they are also likely less cost sensitive compared to SDTV-owners.

But yeah it´s strange that they are downgrading their premium SKU, but there may be a price war looming and costs must be cut somewhere. If Sony is bringing the PS3 to the $299 price point, they may feel a pressure to reduce the price.
Yah. Have you seen a TV without a composite input? If there is one, I haven't found it. I have, however, seen lots of TVs without component or HDMI inputs.

Shipping with a composite cable means that essentially the device will work out of the box with 100% of tvs. That's something that would not be the case if you shipped with component or HDMI.

Sure, folks who want the best quality will want to buy an HD cable of some sort, but until they get one the device will work on their TV.

Yah. Have you seen a TV without a composite input? If there is one, I haven't found it. I have, however, seen lots of TVs without component or HDMI inputs.

Shipping with a composite cable means that essentially the device will work out of the box with 100% of tvs. That's something that would not be the case if you shipped with component or HDMI.

Sure, folks who want the best quality will want to buy an HD cable of some sort, but until they get one the device will work on their TV.

Plus, HDMI cables are standardized, even upscaling DVD players pack them in these days, I know I have a couple of spare ones laying around.

The problem is up until now Microsoft has always provided either a composite only cable with the Arcades/Cores or a composite/component cable with the Pros/Elites. So there's never been a problem with the Xbox not working every TV out of the box. One would just think that an Elite SKU would in fact be the Elite & include a means to run in HD out of the box. Major backpedaling on MS part.

Tommy McClain

My tv doesn't have a composite input. Just component and 2 hdmi. But then it is a a monitor/tv so it aslo has dvi and vga.

Back