Xbox 360 eDRAM. Where are the results?

Sorry to resurrect a thread :oops:

I just thought of something during work earlier. From the things i've read here at B3D, it seems fitting the bandwith in the eDRAM is the only(?) hindrance for some games to be 1080p native due to the amount of tiles required, but do you guys think near the end of X360's lifecycle when (assuming) tiling becomes less painstaking to do, will we see more 1080p native games on the X360?

Sorry to resurrect a thread :oops:

I just thought of something during work earlier. From the things i've read here at B3D, it seems fitting the bandwith in the eDRAM is the only(?) hindrance for some games to be 1080p native due to the amount of tiles required, but do you guys think near the end of X360's lifecycle when (assuming) tiling becomes less painstaking to do, will we see more 1080p native games on the X360?

Amount of tiles required for 1080p is only 2, (1920x1080 framebuffer would fit on a 15.8 mb EDRAM-chip) all you need is for a game engine to support tiling and you can do 1080p native.

The main reason for not rendering @ 1080p is because in many instances it could lead to developers having to trade of graphical fidelity in order to keep the fillrate's high enough for the 2.2x higher resolution compared to 720p

Ah ok, I was hoping for an answer like that :D (I knew I was missing something...)

So does PS3 run into that problem(or a similar one) aswell, 1080p wise?

Ah ok, I was hoping for an answer like that :D (I knew I was missing something...)

So does PS3 run into that problem(or a similar one) aswell, 1080p wise?

Well, the PS3 doesnt have to tile things (obviously, because it doesnt have a EDRAM chip), but except for that, the performance hit for rendering at higher resolution is there for all GPU's (or CPU's if you wanna render with those).

A good way to think of it is this:

The jump from 720p to 1080p gives you roughly twice as much pixels. This means the GPU has half the time per pixel to make something pretty out of them, this applies to every traditional rendering method known to man (or at least, known to me).

Back