Xbox 360: 3 years, time for an update?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
Around the time the Xbox 360 gets the "Jasper" Gpu update, the console will turn 3. There haven't been any changes to the specifications apart from the release of the Elite and the replacement of the Core with the Arcade. Do you think it would be time to bump up the featuresets of both the premium and the elite models to better compete feature wise with the PS3?

What do you think Microsoft should do in terms of an update for the system?

My ideas go something like this:

Essential:

1. Wireless support out of the box for the Elite.
2. Jasper Gpu upgrade to finally put to rest the red ring fiasco
3. Change the colour of the error lights to blue! ;)

Good ideas but not strictly a requirement.

1. Wireless support for the premium as well.
2. Upgrade the HDD on the elite to 200GB-320GB (most likely 200) To encourage more use of the Xbox Live service.
3. Upgrade the HDD on the premium to 40gb, I have only 5 GB left on my HDD and I've had my console for under 2 weeks.
4. New introduction video please!!!!! Current one is VERY lame. :cool:

Nice things to have.

1. Make the play and charge kits standard with the controllers and packages.
2. Bump the Arcade flash up to 512mb or Even 1gb (come on! Flash is cheap now!)
3. Make it possible to transfer the arcade games onto the memory card so you can share them with other people. (Cut n paste essentially)

Thats all for now... So what do you think?

Do you think Microsoft will update their system then? Also do you think they are likely to implement any of these ideas or any of your own?

Well that is the best upgrade! Doesn't help me anyway! I already got into the market on the Falcon. However network externalities (Economics theory 202) Says that the more people I get to buy the Xbox360, the better it will be for me. :p I could say the same about my PS3 tho. :cool:

I spose the (Supposed) motion controller becoming standard would do also?

Elite should have had the wireless internet from the get go, but yeah they should introduce it to Elite and Pro, boosting the HDD to 60GB and 200 for these two model would be good imo. Arcade is fine as it is, but the whole line up should get another price cut pretty soon.

In Europe I'd like to see 100€ off across the board. In US Arcade to 199$, Pro with Wifi and 60GB 299$ and Elite with 200GB and 1 game for 399$

I dont see them "upgrading" any of the SKU's, really.

I certanly dont see them integrating wireless, they'd rather sell a few of those $100 adapters. I agree they should though.

Besides everytime MS upgrades something they get screamed at for leaving early adapters behind. Remember HDMI?

I also hate the 20GB hdd, since apparantly the 40 GB costs very nearly the same. But, then I realized consumers dont seem to care very much as long as it has a hd, and it probably saves them a couple bucks over a 40GB.

Personally I think they need to ditch the Elite, and streamline with two SKU's, a 299 40GB and a 229 Arcade.

I dont think they're going to upgrade the Elite HDD because as you get anywhere near top of the line capacity, HDD prices skyrocket. MS wants to be comfortably outside that zone. And remember we're talking about the more expensive 2.5 drives. Looking on newegg, bare OEM 200 and 320 GB 2.5 go for $150 and up.

One of the points of IPTV is that it is on demand, obviating the need to a hard drive at all (other than to potentially use as a cache) as the actual data is all kept server side.

Short of a slim case and/or integrated power supply, the only update I can imagine being added to the Xbox 360 is a cheap integrated b/g wireless. But since 'a' is the recommended means of streaming HD content for MCE, I can't see it happening. Integrating an a/b/g wireless would cost too much.

If it was 99.99 id pick up one for the 3rd time maybe even a 199 version with a hard drive and live. I feel the only thing keeping it from ps2 status is the price. Without the wifi or hd it has no business over 200 with still 10% failure rates. Mine my bros and my cousins launch day consoles all broke down 50 dollar warranty at eb live wifi and hd was like a grand. Thats big money for IMO little hardware. No hate I wish gears mass too human alan wake were comin to ps3 prosperity to 360.

Piggybacking off of what Acert said.

Why does anybody believe anything other than price is stalling the adoption of the 360 (or PS3)?

The people who have held back on purchasing a 360 likely won' t be swayed by the inclusion of wireless networking or a larger HDD capacity.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say the majority of people who are still waiting to purchase a console don't put online capability as very high on their desired feature list.

You want more people to own 360s? Then root for MS to lower the price. You want MS to be around to produce a console after the 360? Then be patient, because they can't just throw profits down an empty hole two generations in a row and still be around for a third.

The fact the Xbox360 doesn't have Wifi and/or a HDD on some of their models is one of the reasons I plan to wait a while to get one. The area I set up my consoles is not near my router, so I need the wireless capability.

Seeing an Xbox360 Wireless Adapter for $100 and a HDD for the Xbox360 at $200 at Best Buy is just terrible.

The fact the Xbox360 doesn't have Wifi and/or a HDD on some of their models is one of the reasons I plan to wait a while to get one. The area I set up my consoles is not near my router, so I need the wireless capability.

Seeing an Xbox360 Wireless Adapter for $100 and a HDD for the Xbox360 at $200 at Best Buy is just terrible.

Why is lacking a HDD on one model a problem? Unless you're after an xbox with a HDD at the price of an arcade, what you said doesn't make sense.

@lirionisbi Im curious what you think the Xbox doesn't have compared to the competition. (Apart from Wifi that is)

Unedited:

Last edited by a moderator:
The number of SKUs for this generation of consoles is just insane. They shoulda made a future proof model, and STUCK TO IT instead of offering different packages. A core model, and accessories to add on later. Geez, I feel sorry for anyone selling these things now. Nintendo might as well follow suit and release a Wii with a larger Flash drive, then release one with a SATA harddrive, then one w/o wireless and what not....................

Back