X800 Xt has overdrive after all!

I spoke to ATi yesterday and they didn't sound so sure about offering overdrive for the Xt anymore...

Quite frankly Overdrive is a silly idea (unlike thermal control, which is a good idea). Enable a hidden OC panel, as per Nvidia, & allow the end-user to control clocks if they so wish. If the card is damaged due to OCing, it's the user's fault...

stevem said:
Quite frankly Overdrive is a silly idea (unlike thermal control, which is a good idea). Enable a hidden OC panel, as per Nvidia, & allow the end-user to control clocks if they so wish. If the card is damaged due to OCing, it's the user's fault...

Ok so giving the majority of users a stable safe thermal protected overclock is bad but letting a minority of your users overclock at their discretion and possibly burn out there card making it their fault is good..

Hmmmm If you say so :rolleyes: :oops:

Stryyder said:
Ok so giving the majority of users a stable safe thermal protected overclock is bad but letting a minority of your users overclock at their discretion and possibly burn out there card making it their fault is good..
What's the point of a "safe thermal protected" OC when it's 5-10MHz...? A generic OC for the masses for the sake of an OC...? If the SKU warrants higher clocks, make them default & use thermal management for keeping the GPU from frying. So far it appears that's what ATI has done with the X800XT.
Yes, I don't mind if I do... Which boards actually support OD...? Who tends to buy these boards...? That's right, enthusiasts, ie not the majority of users... The unwashed masses are likely to get budget gear & guess what, no OD for them. So they download radclocker et. al, & guess what...?

stevem said:
Stryyder said:
What's the point of a "safe thermal protected" OC when it's 5-10MHz...? A generic OC for the masses for the sake of an OC...? If the SKU warrants higher clocks, make them default & use thermal management for keeping the GPU from frying. So far it appears that's what ATI has done with the X800XT.
Yes, I don't mind if I do... Which boards actually support OD...? Who tends to buy these boards...? That's right, enthusiasts, ie not the majority of users... The unwashed masses are likely to get budget gear & guess what, no OD for them. So they download radclocker et. al, & guess what...?

Two things one I am part of the unwashed masses that bought a 9600XT with overdrive, secondly I get more than a 10 Mhz bump from it more like 25 to 27 Mhz but believe what you wish.

Regards,

I never did understand Overdrive. If all of the cards were qualified to run at 432mhz, and shipped with Overdrive that was going to set them to that, why not just run them at that speed to start with? I know it's a bullet point feature they can put on their boxes, but it means absolutely nothing - and it still meant nothing even before the original XT cards were released with this "feature" all the ATi fans were pimping so hard. It's just automatic overclocking. Wow, slow down there ATi, don't rupture anything.

Next thing you know they'll have properly implemented game profiles.

It meant that ATI could sell them to the big OEMs like Dell who gave a max power draw/thermal output figure, while still allowing other customers to run top speed.

PaulS said:

introducing the Catalyst 4.5 Control Centre!

ace.jpg

(and yes, it has working game profiles)

Stryyder said:
Two things one I am part of the unwashed masses that bought a 9600XT with overdrive, secondly I get more than a 10 Mhz bump from it more like 25 to 27 Mhz but believe what you wish.

Regards,
:D
I was considering an average OC on 9800XT & should've used %. IIRC the 9600XT runs @ 500MHz core, so you're not even getting a 6% static OC, why bother...?

PaulS said:
I never did understand Overdrive. If all of the cards were qualified to run at 432mhz, and shipped with Overdrive that was going to set them to that, why not just run them at that speed to start with?
It has, in part, to do with the thermal design envelope. Some system's run higher case temps, where a static 430MHz may be problematic. As you said, it's a gimmick...

:D

That looks like a much nicer control panel :)

I really do hope that game profiles work right

PaulS said:
I never did understand Overdrive. If all of the cards were qualified to run at 432mhz, and shipped with Overdrive that was going to set them to that, why not just run them at that speed to start with?
The rated clock speed of a given chip is normally determined by testing it at a high temperature (+70 to +85 celsius are common). Transistors generally get faster the cooler they run, so the cooler you get the chip to run, the higher clock speeds you can make it run safely at. If I have understood Overdrive correctly, it continuously monitors the temperature of the chip, calculates a safe max clock speed from that temperature and then applies that clock speed.

I said "work right" not "I don't see any sign of profiles whatsoever"

While i'm at it: a "profiles" button != "game profiles" as "profiles" are already existant in cats.

Even assuming there are game profiles, there can be good ways & bad ways of implementing them.

Like I said, I hope they work right ;)

I wanna see what's under the Applications Manager Tab and yes, I want auto applied game profiles to work and I want the performance of the 9800Pro (yes I dumped the 5950) to magically jump to X800 XT levels.

However I'll be satisfied with two out of the three. :D

Snarfy said:
arrrse said:
I really do hope that game profiles work right

For the less observant among us:
ace2.jpg

And you probably also noticed the icon in that panel is that of a person meaning "User Profiles" instead of a car/gun/abstract to mean "Game Profiles", but hey, I hope I'm wrong.

Back