X3 720 BE 4th Core Unlocking

ShaidarHaran

hardware monkey
Veteran
Anyone round these parts done this? What are your results? Final stable clockspeed, motherboard used, methods, benchmarks, etc.

I'm looking at replacing my outdated P4 3.4 machine with a cheap >2 core AMD chip and the X3 720 looks to be the best value on the market right now.

Can't say that I have as I upgraded to an Intel Quad Core over 2 years ago. I don't know too many people who have stuck it out with AMD cpu-wise.

I have 2 systems in my house, one in my room and one in the living room hooked up to the plasma TV used as a file server/media center (my roommate has 2 others and my g/f has her laptop). I'm upgrading/re-building the system in my bedroom from an old P4 system and the rig in the living room is a C2D E8400 @ 3.6GHz and a GTX 285. Planning on upgrading the CPU for the P4 system (which will require a new mobo and case as well since it's a Dell) and re-using the 8800 GT, PSU, and 3GB DDR2 currently in that system.

Thinking I'll sell the GTX 285, take my C2D and 8800 GT and stick that in a new case and use it as a gaming PC in the bedroom then get a new CPU & mobo to put in the case in the living room. Downgrading the video from a GTX 285 to an integrated HD 3300 on a 790GX chipset is going to be a huge change (understatement of the year) but I don't really game on the plasma anymore, it's just too hard to focus on such a large screen so it won't be a loss afterall as a C2D + 8800 GT is more than enough for the 22" LCD in my bedroom.

I'd buy an i7 or C2Q but decent Intel boards are way more expensive than comparably-equipped AMD boards and the CPUs are too expensive as well, outside of the Q8200 which does not feature virtualization, a feature I require. So I can spend $150 on an Intel board, another $150 on the processor, and potentially have to buy new DDR3 RAM as well. Or I can spend $90 on an AMD board, another $120 on the processor, and re-use my existing RAM, overclock the snot out of the system, and hopefully unlock that 4th core as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have just talked myself into getting an X4 810 actually, if budget allows so this thread may need a title change...

Off to MicroCenter, I'll post back with details.

im about to buy a X2 550 BE $150 AUD, mobo $100 AUD, 4gig DDR2 1066 Ram AUD $100, second hand 4850 $100 AUD. check sites like ocau, XS, etc for batch numbers will high unlock rates.

if i get an unlockable CPU, push it to about 3.8-4.0 i will get a whole system that is comparable to my 2k AUD rig ( i7 920) for $400.............

that said my i7 is running at over 4GHZ so in things like F@H it will be a clear winner but not 5 times over and in what matters ( games ) there will be very little differnece between the two.

i just need to get CFO approval ( misses)

LoL @ Shaidar -- how did you go from an X3 720 to a Q9550? Especially after all the cost analysis you just got done doing? :p

LoL @ Shaidar -- how did you go from an X3 720 to a Q9550? Especially after all the cost analysis you just got done doing? :p

I know, I'm ashamed.

The chip was $169 and the board was surprisingly only $99, oh, and none of the AMD chips except the 955 and the original Phenoms were in stock and I wasn't about to spend $199 on an AMD CPU in this day and age... I had pretty much sold myself on the idea of getting a guaranteed quad core so that ruled out the X3 which was the only other chip in stock (aside from the Semprons).

I think this was a logical conclusion given the cost analysis of the actual situation.

$210 (AMD X3 CPU + MB) on a gamble for quad-core
$290 (AMD X4 CPU + MB) for guaranteed quad-core
$270 (Intel QuadCore + MB) on a guaranteed quad-core

The Q9550 should overclock extremely well too.

I don't feel too bad about the situation considering the excellent pricing, it's just more than I planned to spend originally. I do think I'll get my money's worth though. Going to start o/c'ing tomorrow after I strap another fan on my OCZ Vendetta 2.

4GHz (8.5x471) was easily attained this morning. Vcore bumped to 1.375 in the BIOS (reads 1.33 in Windows), VTT @ 1.3, VMCH @ 1.4, all else stock.

I'd see what else this chip/board combo has in it but temps are already @ 77 in OCCT Linpack so I think I'll just be happy with 4GHz :D

BTW i have a x3 720 BE, but I never unlocked the 4th core, last I had heard it was only available on AMD boards and I had an nvidia board.

I have personally had really good luck with nvidia boards so I went with it prior toi knowing about the 4th core unlock thing. I actually have wanted to get an amd board for awhile now b/c they get quite good reviews, but I just never did it. I have it at 3.2 GHz with no voltage change, just upped the multiplier (factory heatsink). CNQ was borked on my system though, don't know whos fault it was, but it never worked right even at default settings. I never responded to your original thread since you had specified 4th core unlock.

BTW i have a x3 720 BE, but I never unlocked the 4th core, last I had heard it was only available on AMD boards and I had an nvidia board.

I have personally had really good luck with nvidia boards so I went with it prior toi knowing about the 4th core unlock thing. I actually have wanted to get an amd board for awhile now b/c they get quite good reviews, but I just never did it. I have it at 3.2 GHz with no voltage change, just upped the multiplier (factory heatsink). CNQ was borked on my system though, don't know whos fault it was, but it never worked right even at default settings. I never responded to your original thread since you had specified 4th core unlock.

try rmclock and see if it works. I don't know how CnQ is supposed to work without it, but the fact is it doesn't do a damn thing on my XP without additional software (even with AMD's CPU driver). I've been happy with the software as it's a good place for enable/disable, set lower voltages, etc.

Yeah Blaz I meant to do it and never got around to it. Thanks for reminding me of it it will be a good thing now in the summer.

well core unlocking may be available on more motherboards now, alledgely a Gigabyte GA-M720-US3, which uses an old nvidia chipset, can do it with a recent BIOS.
there's also a good looking 60€ asrock mobo on socket AM3, the cheapest full ATX mobo on that socket.

nowadays for a low end box I'd recommend a sempron (unlockable to dual core) for the fun aspect of it, and a X3 435 for a broke gamer - some people have both unlocked and o/c the hell out of it, giving absurdably high value for the price.

Back