World's best looking car game *stupid smackdown thread of Sigh-Ents and Tacky-Cal

the best thing is that, with evolution behind, I just know how amazing it will play when you floor the accelerator during heavy rain/thunderstorm, fighting against the road :D

but it looks the part as well. I cannot imagine what PD will come up with, because, again:
this is what they could do on 2006 hardware.. the lighting and the color of the sky is still unmatched IMO

gt6-brz-bathpysnp.gif

Not particularly comparable weather, but its quite apparent that DriveClub has significantly more realistic visuals. The trees in DC for one don't look obviously like computer game sprites as is the major problem with most racers (as I've mentioned before). I expect DC could fool the typical layman into thinking they were watching TV. Not that that's too hard - I remember a friend saying years ago she thought a tennis game on PS2 was practically like watching TV! ;)

On another forum which I was casually browsing on my mobile phone, there were some .gif images on Driveclub, 400*200 stuff, viewed inline on a webpage on a tiny 4.2 inch screen.
1 stood out like a sore thumb. I was like: WTF is up with the colours??? Is this even DriveClub, or is it Auto Modellista?? ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEXBazvuUPA ) I swear the car appeared flat shaded, single colour..

turns out there was a Forza Horizon 2 .gif in between for comparison..

the footage which dieh@rd posted has the exact same effect, because it's displayed really small on the website. Look at the red FH2 car: it's as if it's a single colour with no shading at all

I think DC looks a whole lot more realistic. If you were to see either game for the first time I'm sure DC would come out on top 9 times out of 10, visually. But both games are different in their own respective ways where DC is more closed-circuit racing whereas Horizon 2 is open world.

After watching a lot of footage of FH2 and DC, they both look absolutely fantastic. Both of them also being native 1080p is a big plus. But if I had to choose one based purely on visuals, DC definitely takes the cake. I hope Playground releases some new footage so we can see more of the FH2 world as well as weather, night racing, etc...

Its a good thing that we have word "smackdown" in the thread title. :D

That's a weird comparison. Driveclub is like a foggy overcast rainy day in Seattle whereas Forza is like a sunny day after a downpour in Miami, they are very different looks and weather conditions. Not sure what they expect to get from a comparison like that.

The comparison is that at any resolution: one of the two could be mistaken for real-life, while the other one looks like a cartoon, with flat shaded cars. The cars don't even look like they are connected to the road in FH2.

Look at some FH2 night footage if you want to have a laugh. It shows the environment lighting being completely baked and not realtime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYGwght0w44
Also, every second of FH2 footage looks like a videogame with cartoon-like shading. No videoframe could pass for photorealistic, whereas DC looks photorealistic almost all the time

also: mother of god @ the side reflections around 0:06 !! this is some next level stuff

I dont want any part of the rest of this thread BUT

Now that I have an X1, I put the Forza 4 demo on my 360 against Forza 5. The difference was quite a bit more than I expected really. Especially in the lighting. I have two 27 monitors (although different brands, and one is 1080P and one is 720P native) so I even side-by-side compared.

I often go back to a post by Fearsome Pirate where he put the percentage "maxed" he thought each genre was on 360/PS3 (his basic idea being that in diminishing returns, many genres were nearly "maxed" already on PS3/360). Just for fun. Anyways I think he said driving games were 90% maxed on 360 in his opinion. Well, he would never say that after comparing F5 and F4. I'm not sure what the difference is but it's clearly a lot more than 10%. The 1080P alone is huge. Really impossible to even quantify such a thing but to me F5's clearly at least 30-40% better, I think some people (image quality purists perhaps) would probably argue a lot more.

This is the sort of thing you can compare in youtube videos but you'll get the much better effect of course in person, especially since YT videos can vary so much in capture quality, bit rate, gamma levels, etc.

All that said, I would agree that while the difference is huge, I can see how it could be tabbed as a lot less transformational than the PS2 to 360 transition. It's undeniable F5 is a whole lot prettier than F4, but I can see how some would dismiss it as just a prettier version of the same basic thing. Whereas the PS2 to 360 gen, was arguably a much more transformational gap. Well, you can even point out the resolution change. SD to 720P=huge. 720P>1080P= very nice incremental change, but not as huge.

Anyway I'm pretty impressed with Forza 5. The lighting is sublime, there's absolutely zero pop in I've noticed, and to think it's all at 1080P AND rock solid 60 FPS on a console known for it's 1080P struggles...I never thought of Turn 10 as top 1st party coders on 360, but they seem to be with this game. It's a really pretty game. It looks amazing on my 1080P PC monitor up close. And all that on a HD7770, laptop CPU, with slow DDR3. I also suspect if Turn 10 had access to near final hardware a lot earlier than many other (especially multiplatform) developers.

Beyond3D is going downhill... thanks to the console's forums and the GAF invasion/crossposting...

The only decline that I'm seeing is members' not growing thicker skin, or the acceptance of one’s purchase decision.

All this talk about droughts, poor hardware, AIDS ridden 1080p, and whatever else, is just weird. Never heard all this chambered white noise during the PS3/XB360 days. I heard bickering, and lots of I told you so(s)… but not at the level that I’m hearing today. A whole camp of gamers feeling jaded towards another camp for all the wrong reasons. That noise should be funneled towards the system maker, its hardware choices and decisions.

The comparison is that at any resolution: one of the two could be mistaken for real-life, while the other one looks like a cartoon, with flat shaded cars.
It's one thing to say that you think the lighting looks a little flat, but "flat shading" is a phrase that means something, and it's not applicable here.

Look at some FH2 night footage if you want to have a laugh. It shows the environment lighting being completely baked and not realtime
You got that from eight seconds of footage...?

also: mother of god @ the side reflections around 0:06 !! this is some next level stuff
Eh, sort of. Screen-space reflections have been a thing for a couple of years now. They seem to be a good match for the camera angles in racing games, though I still strongly sit (seemingly lonely) in camp "this looks awful in FPS games."

The hyperbole is astounding on the one hand, then not so much when you look at who is posting. During dry conditions, both games look similar especially in terms of the environments. It's during weather cycles that dc really shines.

I don't really see much hyperbole. I think DC is hands down the better looking game. But it's not like FH2 looks bad at all.

The lighting in DC looks better in all conditions IMO. But yes, during weather cycles is when it really shines (which all games do, really). Night racing in FH2 doesn't look very good to me either.

Environments are comparable, but DC has better trees IMO, and the environments in DC seem to be affected by weather as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be worth noting that Horizon 2 is open world while Driveclub isn't.

Not really a fair fight, FH2 is a cross gen game and it shows.

No it actually isn't.
Horizon 2 on Xbox 360 is made by a different studio with Horizon 1 engine and it will lack weather effects and a lot of other things while the Xbox One version will use Forza 5 engine. Basically it'll just be sharing a name with the Xbox one version.

I don't really see much hyperbole. I think DC is hands down the better looking game. But it's not like FH2 looks bad at all.

The lighting in DC looks better in all conditions IMO. But yes, during weather cycles is when it really shines (which all games do, really). Night racing in FH2 doesn't look very good to me either.

Environments are comparable, but DC has better trees IMO, and the environments in DC seem to be affected by weather as well.

that is quite an understatement. It's comparable to NFS...... Underground 2.

bZaizrw.jpg

Not only that, but it looks too bright considering there's no city/street lights or stars anywhere in sight and it appears to be cloudy. The only sources of light are the distant moon and headlights. Even parts that should be shaded from the moon appear to be lit-up like every other part of the track. The moon reflecting off the top of the car almost looks like the sun is out, or the car is just too reflective. It just looks a bit off overall IMO. I suppose it could just be a different time of day.

I dunno, DC just nails every time of day or weather transition.. it seems to be far more dynamic visually. Environments, lighting and cars can look significantly different, while everything seems bright and colorful on FH2.

Here's GT5 and GT6 during a sunset->full-on nighttime transition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back