World's best looking car game *stupid smackdown thread of Sigh-Ents and Tacky-Cal

That shot actually doesn't pick up on the paint material detail very well. I think this one makes it more evident...

http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_images_forza_motorsport_5-23303-1.html
While not photorealistic this shot is really spectacular whichever way you look at it. The tail-lights, -too bad we can't see the headlights, their low and highbeams- and the awesome paint look superb detailed.

That's the materials T10 were talking about and in that screenshot you can see them clearly --thanks for sharing Rockster.

image_forza_motorsport_5-23303-2721_0001.jpg

Just to add fuel to the flames.

Last edited by a moderator:
PCars has definitely got it. When I'm playing I have to keep reminding myself that it's actually a game, and that it really does look that good. Some of the best photos I've taken aren't even from replays, I just kill the HUD and move the camera around and snap a screenshot with Fraps.

And it's running better and better with each build, too.. it's already damn near 1080p/60 on my rig, with 4xDSAA and all the bells and whistles at max, on one GTX-680.

I think even the first release version of GT5 is a lot better than Forza 5, both on technical, artistic, and racing level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoqZxjlRjTE

-other cars have realtime reflections
-HDR
-dust effects
-realtime lighting
-better lighting
-better car shaders

I am pretty sure that if you removed the realtime reflections on the other cars, the volumetric dust, the realtime lighting, and the better car shaders, that you would have GT5 running at 1920*1080 native, and locked 60hz.

The way FOrza5 Alps looks right know, it should be running in 4K, considering the xbox one should have 5 times the processing power compared to PS3, and considering it doesn't have a single next-gen effect aside from the clouds.

It's what they call it.. It's downsampling. "DS4X" is the setting in-game, I assume 4x pixel count, then downsampled to 1080p. This is the first game I've seen that actually offers it as a direct in-game option without having to resort to futzing with the NVidia drivers, so I don't know if it even has a real name yet. Supersampling, Downsampling, whatever.

I think even the first release version of GT5 is a lot better than Forza 5, both on technical, artistic, and racing level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoqZxjlRjTE

-other cars have realtime reflections
-HDR
-dust effects
-realtime lighting
-better lighting
-better car shaders

I am pretty sure that if you removed the realtime reflections on the other cars, the volumetric dust, the realtime lighting, and the better car shaders, that you would have GT5 running at 1920*1080 native, and locked 60hz.

The way FOrza5 Alps looks right know, it should be running in 4K, considering the xbox one should have 5 times the processing power compared to PS3, and considering it doesn't have a single next-gen effect aside from the clouds.

You're comparing a dev build to a completed and polished game...

We have no idea what was being worked on in that build and what is turned off right now, it's not very fair to compare a incomplete title(which Dan made clear of) to a complete one.

GT5 in-game doesn't look anywhere as good as Forza 5 in game the car models in the game are way better.

GT5 vs Real-life.

GT5 vs Project Cars vs Real-life.

The first one is a pretty good video and it shows how good the lighting is in Gran Turismo 5. The only downside of the video was watching the Formula 1 car skidding, that made me cringe.

The second one is a tough call, but the shadows in GT5 give PD the edge, but I would compare it to the video I posted instead of that one.

It's what they call it.. It's downsampling. "DS4X" is the setting in-game, I assume 4x pixel count, then downsampled to 1080p. This is the first game I've seen that actually offers it as a direct in-game option without having to resort to futzing with the NVidia drivers, so I don't know if it even has a real name yet. Supersampling, Downsampling, whatever.

The Witcher 2 offers something similar.

GT5 wins the award for sparse backgrounds.
Sparse for fairly accurately modeling the original tracks. Right...:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, some of GT5's tracks are bland are lack detail, but Nordschleife is not one of them. Most of the real tracks are modeled fairly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This footage demonstrates F1 2013 looks really good too, to be fair, even if it runs on current gen consoles. I am looking forward to see F1 2014 running on next gen consoles. :eek:

Forza5 versus GT6 is like
Project IGI running at 2048*1576 60fps versus... Far Cry 1 running at 1280*720 at 55fps.

A lot of people will prefer the clean look of 1576P 60fps, while other people will find Far Cry more impressive, even if it's running at a lower resolution or slightly lower framerate.

Back