World's best looking car game *stupid smackdown thread of Sigh-Ents and Tacky-Cal

Not really a fair fight, FH2 is a cross gen game and it shows.

Developers of Xbone version of FH2 almost destroyed their throats telling journalist on E3 that the game they are making is not cross gen. According to them, Playground and Turn10 are fully focused only on Xbone version using upgraded Forza5 engine, while independently Sumo Digital is making X360 version in old FH1 engine.

Developers of Xbone version of FH2 almost destroyed their throats telling journalist on E3 that the game they are making is not cross gen. According to them, Playground and Turn10 are fully focused only on Xbone version using upgraded Forza5 engine, while independently Sumo Digital is making X360 version in old FH1 engine.

I remember Turn 10 trying to pass off photo mode shots as realtime, even claiming "at turn 10, we don't do bullshots". More recently they convinced DF that the Forza 5 demonstration at E3 2013 was running in realtime on Xbox One hardware..

So I wouldn't take their word for it.

Not really a fair fight, FH2 is a cross gen game and it shows.
Doesn't matter. This is a 'which looks best by examples' smackdown thread. The counter is the worlds best FH2 shot shown alongside the worst DC shot, and every game is capable of offering up a bad-looking shot that highlights its weaknesses. The comparisons here are likely to be stupid but then the thread itself is stupid (it's in the title).

Ike Turner said:
Beyond3D is going downhill... thanks to the console's forums and the GAF invasion/crossposting...
Why so serious? It's a stupid smackdown thread. It even says it in the title! It's where gamers can post gorgeous car shots and subjectively claim they're the best graphics in a game ever.There's no science behind it or technical investigation into the objectively best car game graphics.

The counter is the worlds best FH2 shot shown alongside the worst DC shot, and every game is capable of offering up a bad-looking shot that highlights its weaknesses.

I respectfully disagree.

If we are talking realtime gameplay, I am sure that the worst DC still looks better than the best FH2 shot.

But I would love for some FH2-fans to prove me wrong :cool:

that is quite an understatement. It's comparable to NFS...... Underground 2.

bZaizrw.jpg

Where did you get that photo? The headlight in FH2 are real dinamic light, they did not only change the brightness (that make me smile :D). They also use a projected texture to simulate the IES profile.

Other than that i think DC will be the best looking cars game by some margin, they have done a wonderful work.

Doesn't matter. This is a 'which looks best by examples' smackdown thread. The counter is the worlds best FH2 shot shown alongside the worst DC shot, and every game is capable of offering up a bad-looking shot that highlights its weaknesses. The comparisons here are likely to be stupid but then the thread itself is stupid (it's in the title).

Why so serious? It's a stupid smackdown thread. It even says it in the title! It's where gamers can post gorgeous car shots and subjectively claim they're the best graphics in a game ever.There's no science behind it or technical investigation into the objectively best car game graphics.

Shifty makes all things right :LOL: lol

I respectfully disagree.

If we are talking realtime gameplay, I am sure that the worst DC still looks better than the best FH2 shot.

But I would love for some FH2-fans to prove me wrong :cool:
Any shot?

Lol OK. Photo Mode is done _ in-game_ clearly you're not sure how it works so here is a simple primer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rTQNVnhw5I
It's up to you guys to decide if this is even fair but w/e

But if Not, if you want to really compare FH2 at least watch some proper footage of the game:
B-roll download only footage

And I'm comfortable with selecting these DC images as being some of the worst I've seen online:

https://flic.kr/p/nJfJBD

https://flic.kr/p/nGrLPL

drive_club_01.jpg

2129418-169_DRIVECLUB_MercedesSLSAMGPack_082013.jpg

lma5pt2.jpg

3ACs8Wu.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These images are not even from Driveclub,

But they are. You said _any_. I found these. I can't believe you are all over Turn10. But since you seem overly critical, I can be overly critical as well. I love DC, really I do, what they've done is impressive, but if you don't see flaws with DC as well then I will assist you in this matter.

And most FH2 car models are super-low poly. I have seen better standard cars in GT5 during gameplay
Do you have polygon counts here? If you're going to make statements at least back it up.

This pulled directly from the sony flickr. I'm not going to use your language in describing this scene, but clearly there have been compromises as indicated by my red circles.

qjEmuGr.jpg

Here is some more:
Should we discuss the discrepancy in direction and quality of the shadows in the car vs what is happening in the background?
ojudKZf.jpg

AF???
aN69ZKJ.png

Unfortunately he's not. He's quite serious, as I've read his other posts that he feels that FH2 looks like something X360 can render.

Well I hope not. It seems quite crazy to me. Devs are serious working people...give them more power and they will extract it, the amount of course is down to the individual talent.

For me, it is much more difficult to judge the game artists...a real good artistic effort can offset a lot of tec deficiencies and makes certain games 'punch' in a higher league as they should belong to from a pure tec point of view.

SlimJim is just trolling...
I'd say it's difficult to judge how much freedom to afford this thread, but I remind people that they have an Ignore list onto which they can remove any contributor who's posts come across as troll, as well as there being a report button.

Well I hope not. It seems quite crazy to me. Devs are serious working people...give them more power and they will extract it, the amount of course is down to the individual talent.

For me, it is much more difficult to judge the game artists...a real good artistic effort can offset a lot of tec deficiencies and makes certain games 'punch' in a higher league as they should belong to from a pure tec point of view.

Yea I dunno. No one here is claiming that FH2 graphically could fool someone better than DC. But to claim that FH2 is lower-res polies than GT6? Why we doing this? All devs work hard in this industry, to trash them like this is like, so terrible. You will never get into the industry slamming games and platforms that is for sure.

Forza 5 is 1 million polygons per vehicle in Autovista mode, it reduces that amount for gameplay; likely ranging between 100K-180K polys while playing the game <-- 60fps mind you.

Drive Club 250K per car average:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06...gons-per-car-claim-explains-assists-and-more/

GT6: 500K polygons per car, reduces drastically for in-game mode.

I forgot that developers might be looking as well, so no disrespect to the FH2 developers!

I think my main beef with games like FH2 is with all the shortcuts. Even in the B-roll footage; you see the car driving through the shadow of a tree; and the car just drives over it. This makes a strange for a really big disconnect between the car and the environment.

The same way that the shadow of the player car doesn't show up on the 2d grass or foliage sprites, which are shown on a completely different texture by the way; breaking the illusion of driving through foliage/grass..

With the nighttime footage; the reflections on the car actually appear to show daytime environment: you see a big bright sky above the mountain-reflections on the car: while the car is supposed to be driving in darkness..

All this adds up to big disconnects and serious impact on the continuity of the game.
Even if they go for a cartoony look: at least get the reflections and shadows right.
I could go on and on, but I think my point is clear.
So no offence to any developer or fan, I'm just stating my observations/interpretations.

edit: of course DC is not perfect either: but those imperfections have more to do with limitations of the PS4 hardware: they have real shadows even if the shadow map is not a pixel perfect soft shadow. The player car headlights can create shadows, but it is disabled in the other cars, and so on. At the very least DC offers a more consistent package; resulting in a much more believable environment

Someone better than me can comment on the performance challenges associated with real time shadows and global dynamic lighting. Something in this scenario I believe the ps4 is much better suited for if using traditional rendering techniques.

Someone better than me can comment on the performance challenges associated with real time shadows and global dynamic lighting. Something in this scenario I believe the ps4 is much better suited for if using traditional rendering techniques.

This is running on Xbox One, in realtime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHE9-vqdzbI

NFS: Rivals on Xbox One looks excellent, even on Xbox 360 and PS3. look those versions up.

FH2 should at least look significantly better than NFS:Rivals on Xbox 360, especially since the developers are claiming that they have an entire new engine for the Xbox One.
NFS: Rivals is a true cross-platform, cross-generation title, so if anything, that game should be held back more by previous-generation hardware than FH2 is held back by the 360, if what the developers claiming is true

Ghost of arcades past

New contest: which of these 30 fps driving games will feel the least responsive while playing.

Woooooooooo 1080p.

Oh well, at least FH isn't going for straight realism. Vivid colours and blue skies in an open world. It warms the heart. Patch in a 792p 60 fps option plz FzH dudes and dudesses. Let me Outrun to the moon.

New contest: which of these 30 fps driving games will feel the least responsive while playing.

Woooooooooo 1080p.

Oh well, at least FH isn't going for straight realism. Vivid colours and blue skies in an open world. It warms the heart. Patch in a 792p 60 fps option plz FzH dudes and dudesses. Let me Outrun to the moon.

You mean the lack of (dynamic) clouds, or do you really mean the actual color blue? In all the FH2 footage I have not seen a single blue sky. Because of your mentioning of "Outrun" I take it you mean "blue skies" like this:

sega_daytona_usa.jpg

outrun.gif

113896957_688816c2e5.jpg

FH2 does not feature the color blue, as there is a very large amount of yellow post-processing slapped over it.
I do agree that if they went with a Sega-like aesthetic (which they can probably achieve in less then 10 seconds by just changing "YELLOW POST PROCESSING: TRUE" to false ), the game would fare much better. At least give the player the opting to change the yellow-filter.
And 720p/60fps would be nice as well, I hope evolution realises that :)

Probably unrelated, but Xbone had very simple static skybox in Ground Zeroes, while PS4 got that full dynamic sky simulation that KojiPro hyped at their GDC keynote.

Back