World's best looking car game *stupid smackdown thread of Sigh-Ents and Tacky-Cal

Yeah I don't see any racers beating DC in track details and lighting. It really is a step above games like Forza 5 or NFS.

The only time computer games currently get close is photo modes with photograph environments and reflections, which makes half the content actual photographs which is cheating!

I agree in the case of Forza. There is a complete disparity between photomode in-game or fotomode autovista. They even use a different lighting engine, and claim that the game has it in realtime (was it IBL? )

Anyway, GT5 has the best graphics. Even if you are just driving between Toyota Priusses on a lame track, the lighting and reflections in game are so incredibly done. I am not saying the have the highest precision lighting (which they do) or the highest resolution reflections, but the way that the track/ environment slides across the other cars is simply unmatched.
And this was in 2010.
Fast forward to 2013 and Forza 5 has 1 terraflop of processing power at it's disposal, yet still they cannot get the other cars realtime reflections of the environment..
And then we have people cheering "60 fps, wow this is quite the technical achievement!"
While they should be saying: "isn't it time that the other cars get some realtime reflections?"

That title belongs to Project Cars on PC.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=4NSjfaSw4_M&v=g34tOge-gL8

It's updated and looks even better since that original footage too :cool:

For example : http://www.rigsofrods.com/images/imported/2013/02/projectcarsscreen9-1.jpg
After watching this video from a pre-alpha build I must admit that Project Cars is a tough contender and probably the rival to beat right now. :oops:

Huge draw distances, top notch lighting -it looks very real and it reminds me of an European summer day during the peak of summer- and fine car models.

That doesn't look that great imo..trees look flat and the cockpit looks low quality. You could tell they're trying for a photoreal look with the desaturation filter and fog but the backgrounds landscapes ect have mediocre detail.

I was like... WTH? When did I create this thread?!. You mods are tops... :LOL:

Anyhow, I would like to compare the technical aspects and features (polygon count, resolution, frame-rate, lighting solution, Anti-Aliasing solution, audio playback/effects, shadowing techniques, proper physics, etc.....) for Drive Club and Forza 5. How they stack-up against each other... real-time Vs. pre-calculated/baked post processing effects.

What's Forza if you care about environments? IMO, DC has more detailed and denser environments and better road textures. I also prefer DC's lighting (more realistic and it has dynamic global illumination). I like Forza because it has better car models, it's 60fps and it has better AA (as of the latest builds).

cars-mitsubishi_00361052.jpg

0cae6527-3c0a-46e7-a6b2-ab5792551d94.jpg

both photomode.

In that particular shot, I still prefer the GT model. The way light reflects and the texture of the paint just looks so realistic IMO. The headlights look a bit better on the Forza shot though, but they're in different lighting conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
cars-mitsubishi_00361052.jpg

0cae6527-3c0a-46e7-a6b2-ab5792551d94.jpg

both photomode.
That doesn't look hot at all for photorealism, it looks a bit fakey, which is normal in Forza by the way with its oversaturated colours. It's only a matter of time before they get it right, but maybe they don't want to. Who knows...

I don't know what it is about Forza, but there always seems to be something a little off with how their lighting looks. I can't put my finger on what it is, but it's something that has followed the game across different versions and now different platforms which makes me wonder if that look is intentional and more of an artistic intent thing.

I think it's down to art and lighting. They over do the reflectiveness and gloss to the cars, it almost looks like plastic. Not even most PC games can get it right so it's not really a matter of the capabilities of the platform. PD have great artists and they don't over do it and it looks great IMO. Who knows, maybe T10 is intentionally making it look that way. FWIW, I have seen certain shots of Forza 5's car models that look incredible.. the one part of the trailer where they highlight the metallic flakes under the clear coat for example.

I don't think Forza is trying to be photoreal, they're going for a CGI look. Just look at the trees through the windows and the brown wall to the left...very saturated colors.

Perhaps we are finally encountering some kind of quantum subversion effect!! The sheer pressure of divergent opinion is causing the formation of new Universes based around a kind of Schrodinger effect. Where the actual game and objective reality encompassed by the physical action of actually playing it replaces the cat. The divergent opinions are the all of everything effect.

Soon it won't matter what anyone believes or experiences. Your slice of subjective reality with the game will just take place in another Universe entirely!!

Its clearly Fanboys Uncertainty Principle - the less we know about the platform a game is being released on the less certain we are that it is actually any good.

Back