World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Kaotik, Aug 22, 2009.

1. green.pixel

Veteran

2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

That comic made me LOL IRL. It's so true...

Btw, I refuse to pay 25 bucks for a stupid fucking mount, of which there are already literally hundreds of in the game already. (Almost.)

The problem with being hugely successful - and being owned by a bunch of greedy dirtbags like Activision - is that you soon get the idea that you can start selling stuff to your customers (which said customers already paid for through their subscriptions) for A LOT of money, quite literally only because you can.

This, more than anything else, is what threatens long-term viability of WoW. Double-charging your paying player-base.

3. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Well, it is 100% bonus content you pay for, kinda like you get exclusive pets when you pay to go to Blizzcon (or buy the stream from Blizzcon)
    They don't give the players any gameplay advantages over those who choose not to pay for them.

4. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Apart from the horse flies if you can fly, and if you can't it just stays on the ground, which means you won't need two different types of mounts dragged out to your action bars.

5. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Well ye, that's kinda "bonus", but there are other mounts that do that in the game, too (even if they're rare)

6. Jedi2016

Veteran

One word: Macro.

I've got a "mount" macro that does it all automatically. Switches between ground mount or flying mount depending on where I am. Just edit the macro to tell it what mount to call in each event.

The only time I've ever used a single button for it is if I have a dual-use mount. The only one I have is the Horseman's mount, and I rarely use it because it's buggy and annoying. If they fixed it, I'd never use anything else.

7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I used to have macro which would actually call random land mount for land situations and random flying mount for situations where you can use such, dunno if it still works)

8. Jedi2016

Veteran

Depends on how long ago you used it. They changed some things with Wintergrasp that made me update the macro. Mine calls a specific mount, but I'm sure I could just fiddle with it and have it call a random one.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It was back in TBC I think :razz:

10. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Friends and Family alpha started the other day, says reports.

That means we can start expecting leaks within a couple days. :razz:

From what I can recall, F&F alpha didn't start for Lich King until summer '08; some time in june I believe. So we're slightly ahead of that, even though I was hoping around Blizzcon last year the expansion would already be out by now. Obviously I was overly optimistic! :lol:

If they keep the schedule from LK, launch could be september-ish, but I dunno if they want to launch too early. Maybe they feel closer to the holiday season is better, we'll have to WAIT and see...uurrrggg...

At least now there's already light at the end of the tunnel. I hope to get a beta key like last time, but this time I won't venture into any of the new territories (or the new old territories ;)) and spoil myself. I'll stay in Northrend and just test out the new talents and stuff so I find good builds for the launch.

11. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

12. aaronspink

Veteran

Actually, bliz's launch schedule is probably more dependent on when the next major MMO launches than anything else. They have a strategy of using expansions has a tool to counteract the launches of other MMOs.

13. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Here comes the sun, I say it's all right... :)

Blizzard is getting a little more serious about updating the ancient, outdated 3D engine tech in their game. Still quite some ways to go compared to Aion and the likes, but hey...at least it's something!

14. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

7/10 for lighting

2/10 for poly count embiggening effort

I'll be the first to defend their cartoony NPR art-style in the face of allegedly more "photo-realistic" competition. But a factor of two or four in polygons surely shouldn't hurt, at least as an option?!

15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Nice to see them pushing DX9 some more... pity that's all they'll ever do; push DX9.

16. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year

OMG WoW looks like an Xbox 1 game.

And now it looks like an Xbox 1 game with sunshafts added on. :grin:

17. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Yeah, it's not the best gfx ever exactly. To be a bit more fair though, WoW looks a bit better than any xbox game... 64MB RAM doesn't quite match a PC with 1GB+... ;) Particulary the newer areas in northrend do look noticeably better. Poly density can get quite high too at times with draw distance set to max.

LOL!

18. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year

Graphics aside, my brother tells me WoW is the best MMO out there. But I don't trust myself enough to get involved with any MMO. If I did it'd be Eve.

19. aaronspink

Veteran

WoW isn't the best MMO out there, its just the easiest and most brain dead and as such has the most people.

20. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Define "easiest" and "brain dead" please.

Have you cleared all level 80 raids in hardmode? Have you won any arena seasons?

If "no", then please complete these tasks before repeating these old stale superstitions.

Just because WoW is an accessible and popular game for a MMO doesn't make it "brain dead".