Wipeout for PS3 is coming

Me like. But 'maybe online'? Say what?

This is a pretty big IP, Sony should be doing a lot more with it IMO.

Some more pics from the same source, I just love PS:CS2:

wipeoutred2ox7.png

wipeoutpurplelz5.png

I'm thinking of buying PSP, just to play Wipeout Pure...

I'm thinking of buying PSP, just to play Wipeout Pure...
If you're a Wipeout fan, you need to play Wipeout Pure, it's the best entry in the series since 2097 (XL in the US.)
Now, I don't know if it's worth buying a PSP only for a single game, though. If you're interested in other PSP games (including the second Wipeout coming for it), then it might worth it, indeed.

Wipeout was the origional knock-down drag -out "next gen is here" games. It established the PSX for me.

Wipeout XL was nearly a perfect re-invention.

Wipeout3 created a bookend so the series could be seen as integral the the PS1 experience.

Wipeout Fusion was strangley.... a huge dissapointment. It was a very good game. The style was simply a poor choice. And it was obvious that it wasn't a full effort.

I have a feeling Wipeout PS3 will be big. The potential is just so huge...

I agree. Though I must say, I quite enjoyed Fusion, if only for 3 of the settings (which I thought captured the WIpeout style rather well - namely the jungle track, the hitech city one etc). I hated the parts though where you were out in the opening... One thing of fusion though was the SPEED! My god was that game quick. Made up for all the other shortcomings. I have high hopes for Wipeout for PS3. They better make it 60 fps and return to what was Wipeout 2097!

Basically, an upgraded return to the glory of WO 2097 exists - it is called WipEout Pure.

For WipEout PS3 i expect nothing less than a revolutionary new approach. A super stunningly beautiful Pure-like game would not suffice.

Basically, an upgraded return to the glory of WO 2097 exists - it is called WipEout Pure.

I disagree. Wipeout Pure died the second it was revealed it only ran at 30fps. Under today's expectations (or by the expectations 5 years ago), 60 fps should be the absolute minimum! :devilish:

I disagree. Wipeout Pure died the second it was revealed it only ran at 30fps. Under today's expectations (or by the expectations 5 years ago), 60 fps should be the absolute minimum! :devilish:

Then play it from the cockpit view.

Then play it from the cockpit view.

How would that change anything? Besides, Wipeout is one of the games that (IMO) just need to be played from the 3rd person view... or that's how I always played them anyway.

Seriously though, Pure is a great Wipeout, no doubt about that. It's just after playing Fusion, the framerate is simply not acceptable anymore. 60fps should the absolute minimum for a Wipeout game.

So the fixed screen refresh rate is the "absolute minimum" framerate? You sure are demanding! :D

Anyway, though 60 fps are doubtless better than 30 fps, the latter is not unbearable. And i pick the great gameplay of Pure any day over the "somehow glued to the surface" Fusion, which simply didn't feel "right".

Anyway, Fusion also wasn't free of slowdowns, so it didn't even achieve your "absolute minimum". Pure wasn't as well, unless boost you PSP to 333 MHz... ;)

How would that change anything?

Give me a little credit, yeah? I wouldn't have suggested it if it didn't make a difference. But it does - framerate jumps up and becomes butter smooth. I was very surprised when I discovered it.

Besides, Wipeout is one of the games that (IMO) just need to be played from the 3rd person view... or that's how I always played them anyway.

Well in this case I prefer the butter smooth framerate, but I do agree with you that WipeOut is one of those very few games that give the option to switch in which case the 3rd person view is actually very good.

Seriously though, Pure is a great Wipeout, no doubt about that. It's just after playing Fusion, the framerate is simply not acceptable anymore. 60fps should the absolute minimum for a Wipeout game.

Just for my pleasure, give fps a try, and see if you agree. I have the US version of this game.

Give me a little credit, yeah? I wouldn't have suggested it if it didn't make a difference. But it does - framerate jumps up and becomes butter smooth. I was very surprised when I discovered it.

:oops: Wasn't aware that it made a difference since I thought the framerate was locked at 30fps... Anyway, I admittedly don't own the game (not even a PSP!) - but once the game becomes available as a greatest-hits title, I'll be sure to give it a try on my sisters PSP. I'll definately be checking out the fps view, even though I can't imagining playing a Wipeout game like that, with or without the smoother framerate... :D

Oh, and here's hoping ZONE mode finds its way back to the PS3 version. Best mode in Wipeout Fusion IMO!

Cheers Phil

Back