Wipeout for PS3 is coming

Mr. Domino

Regular
Not much info, but at least it's confirmed now.

From IGN:

UK, February 2, 2007 - A key developer at Sony's Liverpool studio has officially confirmed that WipEout on PS3 is in development and that the game will use the SIXAXIS controller.

Speaking to Develop magazine in the UK, Clemens Wangerin, internal development director at the studio, said the WipEout team is working on a PS3 version, stating the new game has "SIXAXIS controls, maybe online multiplayer and downloadable content". Rumours of a PS3 incarnation of Sony's classic sci-fi racer have been circulating for a few months but this is the first hard evidence that the game is actually in development.

When questioned over details of a new WipEout game a Sony spokespersion simply said, "We'll be making a full announcement about WipeOut on the PS3 at some point in the future". Will it be tomorrow? Next week? Who knows, but you can be sure we'll bring the news first.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/760/760828p1.html

I saw this yesterday on GAF (posted by Titanio, even, I think!):

Seems IGN grabbed it from there.

Good news regardless. Wipeout was lots of fun on the PSP and the downloadable tracks were a great addition -- online Wipeout would be fantastic!

Another PSP Wipeout is also good news.

Another PSP Wipeout is also good news.

:?:

Was there another PSP Wipeout mentioned somewhere else (I don't see that in the OP)? If so, that is extremely good news. I would love to see some interoperability between the two, similar to what has been done with SOCOM on the PSP and PS2.

Wipeout was awesome and helped sell me on ps1 - WO2 was even better ... hopefully this title gets the dev love(time/money) it deserves.:cool:

:?:

Was there another PSP Wipeout mentioned somewhere else (I don't see that in the OP)? If so, that is extremely good news. I would love to see some interoperability between the two, similar to what has been done with SOCOM on the PSP and PS2.

The article that this news came from states they are working on a new PSP Wipeout as well,. IGN just neglected to mention it, as they were likely just skimming the GAF thread rather than reading the actual article =p

Here

Thank god. :D Wipeout Pure was excellent! I hope the second installment on PSP will be as good or better.

Also... Wipeout PS3... Liverpool... :oops:

Hell yeah I ve been waiting for this :D

But I hope they turn it back to its original roots. Wipeout Fusion didnt feel like Wipeout.

The controls were way too light, and the art direction not as good. The soundtrack was also much much better in those 2. Actually they had the best soundtrack. Especially 1. XL and WipeOut1 whould be the examples they should follow

With 120 employees, Studio Liverpool should get this title out sooner than later! :)

wipeoutredbcopyyw0.png

Thats the kind of vehicle design I d love to see in the next Wipeout (unlike Fusion)

Where did you get that image?

Yepp, creds to Tora_2097!

It's an awesome render, and I hope WipEout for PS3 looks similar. :)

seconded

It's a very nice render and kudos to whoever made that. It looks achievable on PS3 hardware and more important: it doesn't look like 'plastic'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wipeout was the origional knock-down drag -out "next gen is here" games. It established the PSX for me.

Wipeout XL was nearly a perfect re-invention.

Wipeout3 created a bookend so the series could be seen as integral the the PS1 experience.

Wipeout Fusion was strangley.... a huge dissapointment. It was a very good game. The style was simply a poor choice. And it was obvious that it wasn't a full effort.

I have a feeling Wipeout PS3 will be big. The potential is just so huge...

Wipeout was the origional knock-down drag -out "next gen is here" games. It established the PSX for me.

Wipeout3 created a bookend so the series could be seen as integral the the PS1 experience.

Wipeout Fusion was strangley.... a huge dissapointment. It was a very good game. The style was simply a poor choice. And it was obvious that it wasn't a full effort.

Totally agree with you. Would be one of my top next gen must have games!

I feel exactly the same

I've actually never played a wipeout game but from the responses in this thread it sounds like by the time the next gen wipeout rolls around I will..

:D

Back