Windows tablets

I fail to see how a Windows 7 based tablet makes sense. What applications are people wanting to run on such a device that would be properly usable with a touchscreen? If you need to have the keyboard, you're suddenly using your tablet as a netbook.

Windows 7 with a C-50?

Keyboard-less:
- Web browsing (as in, complete web browsing, not something than needs an "app" for every webpage that lacks features in the integrated browser).
- Video, music, photo viewing, podcasts
- E-Book and document reading
- Worksheets with stylus input
- Flash games and RTSs
- Everything you can do with an iPad or any other non-x86 tablet?

Keyboard:
- Document creation and editing
- Cheap and great quality games (with a mouse or a USB gaming controller), with visuals, sonoplasty, story and character depth unmatched by any iOS\Android\other-phone-OS game to date.
- Video, music, photo editing
- Everything you can do with a PC?

- Web browsing (as in, complete web browsing, not something than needs an "app" for every webpage that lacks features in the integrated browser).

I may be strange in this, but personally I vastly prefer apps on these type of devices than visiting webpages. Perhaps this becomes different on Tabs, but anything I use a lot just seems to be nicer to use as an App, especially with a touch interface.

I may be strange in this, but personally I vastly prefer apps on these type of devices than visiting webpages. Perhaps this becomes different on Tabs, but anything I use a lot just seems to be nicer to use as an App, especially with a touch interface.

On an iPad, probably yes. There's no flash, javascript performance on any ARM solution is still minimal when compared to any Atom or Bobcat (so far), RAM amount is low (512MB even in iPad2), memory bandwidth is equally low, etc. so a "heavy" webpage will be sluggish.

No wonder you'll need an optimized app if you're using subpar hardware (compared to C-50).

On something like this Acer Iconia, using a hardware accelerated browser like FF4, IE9 or Chrome 10, you don't need "apps", you need "bookmarks".
Just increase the default font\icon size in Win7 and you'll have an equally "pleasant" experience.

I would love it if we see a refresh iconia with a dual core bobcat at the same price point this fall.

On an iPad, probably yes. There's no flash, javascript performance on any ARM solution is still minimal when compared to any Atom or Bobcat (so far), RAM amount is low (512MB even in iPad2), memory bandwidth is equally low, etc. so a "heavy" webpage will be sluggish.

No wonder you'll need an optimized app if you're using subpar hardware (compared to C-50).

On something like this Acer Iconia, using a hardware accelerated browser like FF4, IE9 or Chrome 10, you don't need "apps", you need "bookmarks".
Just increase the default font\icon size in Win7 and you'll have an equally "pleasant" experience.

I think you're missing my point. The big advantage of an app is that everything is standardised and a lot of features are more convenient. Take for instance a forum app. It gets rid of a lot of clutter, is lightning fast, uses less data, is much better optimised for touch, and has nice account management for logging into different websites. There are a lot of sites like that. Many, many years ago, before web apps were becoming all the rage, I looked into both and got a strong impression that web-enabling desktop apps seemed to be a lot more efficient and user-friendly then turning every app into a website. And to this day, I haven't seen much to change my mind. How often do we see a website do anything properly useful with Flash or html5, that is actually a win over a desktop app?

I think you're missing my point. The big advantage of an app is that everything is standardised and a lot of features are more convenient. Take for instance a forum app. It gets rid of a lot of clutter, is lightning fast, uses less data, is much better optimised for touch, and has nice account management for logging into different websites. There are a lot of sites like that. Many, many years ago, before web apps were becoming all the rage, I looked into both and got a strong impression that web-enabling desktop apps seemed to be a lot more efficient and user-friendly then turning every app into a website. And to this day, I haven't seen much to change my mind. How often do we see a website do anything properly useful with Flash or html5, that is actually a win over a desktop app?

Where is the beyond3d app or the neogaf app ?

The problem is , if you stuck using apps and there isn't an app for it then your screwed. I like knowing that the internet i get on my desktop is what i get on my laptop and on my tablet.

besides

/http://www.winrumors.com/windows-8-windows-app-store-screenshots-leak

The screenshots show Microsoft’s new application store for Windows. The store appears to be running in Windows 7, hinting that the software giant may also be planning to offer its app store for legacy versions of Windows. Cnbeta posted the screenshots on Monday, however WinRumors is unable to confirm their authenticity at this time. The screenshots appear to show a number of Microsoft’s own software, including third party software from Opera and Mozilla.

win8appstore.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the beyond3d app or the neogaf app ?

The problem is , if you stuck using apps and there isn't an app for it then your screwed. I like knowing that the internet i get on my desktop is what i get on my laptop and on my tablet.

You can browse Beyond3D with forumrunner. Neogaf doesn't support anything as far as I am aware, and the difference between browsing neogaf and beyond3d couldn't be bigger as a result. Of course this counts much more heavily on the iPhone that I use all the time, but even so. ;) The other two forums that I sort of regularly visit both support tapatalk.

both of these apps cost money.

Also read my edited post. App store coming to win 7 possibly and def windows 8.

eastmen said:
both of these apps cost money.

Also read my edited post. App store coming to win 7 possibly and def windows 8.

So?

a win 7 tablet doesn't require any money to view forums the proper way.

FF4 runs just fine on my netbook which is a 1.6ghz single core with ion atom and 2GB of ram. Using an add blocker for annoying flash ads the browser is very quick at displaying tons of sites.

a win 7 tablet doesn't require any money to view forums the proper way.

FF4 runs just fine on my netbook which is a 1.6ghz single core with ion atom and 2GB of ram. Using an add blocker for annoying flash ads the browser is very quick at displaying tons of sites.

Ipads run Safari which is free, no need to pay for any apps...

and then your direct to many mobile sites instead of the full sites. Read the first post in the convo about it

Only some sites load the mobile version but it's just one click away to load the full version. You don't need to buy a stupid app.

Only some sites load the mobile version but it's just one click away to load the full version. You don't need to buy a stupid app.

seems like a waste of bandwidth.

Aside from that , why are we messing up this thread about windows tablets. Lets just keep this discusion on windows tablets its the only thread we have for it.

I would love it if we see a refresh iconia with a dual core bobcat at the same price point this fall.

Hm?
The Iconia already has a dual-Bobcat. C-50 is 2*Bobcat @ 1GHz and C-30 is 1*Bobcat @ 1.2GHz. Both get the 80sp VLIW5 GPU @ 280MHz.
Maybe you meant the higher-clocked version, the E-350?

Tablet or not, I'll be holding off for a Wishita (2*Bobcat 28nm) or Krishna (4*Bobcat 28nm) in 2012, unless Intel comes up with something even more interesting. These should keep the power envelope and bring a Caicos or even better, a Southern Islands GPU.

I wonder if @ 28nm AMD will be able to bring a smartphone version for Wishita.
They are hiring Android programmers..

As for the rest, complete browser >>> several dedicated apps for every little thing.

That doesn't prove anything, after all Honeycomb is for tablets.

As for the rest, complete browser >>> several dedicated apps for every little thing.
I certainly agree!

BTW I wonder what tablets are coming with Oak Trail, it looks more power-efficient than the C-50 (I still doubt the battery life of a tablet based on a 9W CPU).

It doesn't.
But smartphones is the next logical step for x86, after tablets.

You don't think AMD would want to try to get into smartphones at some point?

I think it'll happen, it's only a matter of either they can achieve that power envelope at 28nm or 22nm (or something else).

Hm?
The Iconia already has a dual-Bobcat. C-50 is 2*Bobcat @ 1GHz and C-30 is 1*Bobcat @ 1.2GHz. Both get the 80sp VLIW5 GPU @ 280MHz.
Maybe you meant the higher-clocked version, the E-350?

Tablet or not, I'll be holding off for a Wishita (2*Bobcat 28nm) or Krishna (4*Bobcat 28nm) in 2012, unless Intel comes up with something even more interesting. These should keep the power envelope and bring a Caicos or even better, a Southern Islands GPU.

yea i keep doing that , i meant at 1.6ghz . I think the 1ghz is to slow to run alot of stuff i want to. My current hp ultra portable is a 1.6ghz dual core neo so i'd want at least that for a replacement (1.6ghzx2 neo with a hd3200 and a hd 43x0 add in card)

Acer iconia is a great windows tablet for $450 bucks .

If wistha is out before oct 15th of this year i will hopefully pick it up in a tablet. I need something before i go on a 3 week vacation to disney world and don't want to lug a tablet and a laptop with me

I certainly agree!

BTW I wonder what tablets are coming with Oak Trail, it looks more power-efficient than the C-50 (I still doubt the battery life of a tablet based on a 9W CPU).

C-50 may not be that power efficent but i'm sure its gpu will blow away whatever is intergrated in oak trail if anything actually is. If its just the cpu and then you need another igp it may not be that power efficent.

Anyway i'm sure if i3/i5 tablets are getting 3-5hrs battery life then the c-50 should be good for 7-9 hours

Back